Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I don’t think either view Curry’s as competition. Colebourns can normally match Curry’s prices and you can speak to someone who hasn’t got the IQ is a digestive biscuit about the product features. The biggest queue in Curry’s is always the people wanting to return stuff as it’s shit. 

Currys are absolute dog shit. Especially when things go wrong. 

They're also shithouses for taking your money when you order something in store, then delivery day comes and nothing.

You can't call them as they don't pick up the phone, you can't call the national number as you purchased it in store. Then when you go back to the store they can't help you as only 'Dave' knows how that system works and he's on holiday for a month. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

They're also shithouses for taking your money when you order something in store, then delivery day comes and nothing.

You can't call them as they don't pick up the phone, you can't call the national number as you purchased it in store. Then when you go back to the store they can't help you as only 'Dave' knows how that system works and he's on holiday for a month. 

So true 

14 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

There are three local suppliers who can get you anything that Curry's supply and provide a much better service

• Like 3

3 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Bought a few ‘new’ things from them.   Oddly the batteries are in the remotes or cables don’t have that little twisty black thing on them.  Instructions are not in bags and all get returned because they either never worked from plug in of fail days later.  

I suspect the same for white goods.   

No thanks.

Never had an issue.

Always found them very helpful and cheaper than Curry’s on bigger items.

The did one sell me a unit of display, but they made it clear it was the display one and discounted accordingly.

That was also when they were in what is now the card shop in Strand Street on the corner opposite TK Maxx, so a few years ago.  Back in the days blokes used to huddle around the window on a Saturday for the football scores.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Manx Radio are doing a spot on hospitality at 12. Don't normally listen to them but will in this instance as interested to hear what government have to say about their dire support of this particular industry.

Shame I missed it. I honestly can’t see what government can do for the hospitality sector though. We can’t keep bailing businesses out. If a business can’t make money we can’t just keep in writing cheques. These businesses did very well out of covid support. That can’t go on indefinitely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

There are three local suppliers who can get you anything that Curry's supply and provide a much better service

Can get is very different from have got.

I am not buying anything from a shop which tells me they can get a thing. I can order a thing for delivery just as easily myself online. But I might buy from a shop if they have actually got the thing in stock.

In my experience Curry's is ok for e.g. TVs which they have clearly boxed up and ready to go. But I am never going to bother asking them which items are actually in stock. Much of what they display is not in stock.

1 minute ago, genericUserName said:

I am not buying anything from a shop which tells me they can get a thing. I can order a thing for delivery just as easily myself online. But I might buy from a shop if they have actually got the thing in stock.

In my experience Curry's is ok for e.g. TVs which they have clearly boxed up and ready to go. But I am never going to bother asking them which items are actually in stock. Much of what they display is not in stock.

The customer service at currys is utterly dire.  I was trying to buy a fridge freezer but struggled to pick one in the shop, four different staff told me I couldn't buy a display model.  

2 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Depends how urgently you want it, freezer from cokebourns arrived in 7 days which was fine 

7 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

They dont have the space to carry stock of large items. They often tell you to buy on line anyway. No better, cheaper or quicker than marown or coleburns for large items.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Waltons carry far more stock than Curry’s.

We selected and paid for a TV in the showroom after some really helpful advice and being able to compare the pros and cons of different models in the Autumn. Drove up to behind B&Q where their warehouse was and the guys already had it ready for us.

There must have been at least twenty of just that one model in there.

I wouldn’t spend money in Curry’s under any circumstances.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

Depends how urgently you want it, freezer from cokebourns arrived in 7 days which was fine 

3 days for a washer dryer from currys from order to installation.. .I suppose it depends on who the installation people are ..The team who did ours last year was very good and knew what he was doing . 

I agree that this is not everyone's experience so I might have been lucky..I normally  get all white goods from Pascoes but they didn't have what we wanted and were not willing  to get it either.

I've also bought a few mobile phones over the years for pick up at the currys shop . As many mention it's best not to go to the store. Staff don't have a clue and are only interested in up selling  a warranty .

Even wanted to sell me a warranty for a kettle which was more than the cost of the kettle 🤔 

Edited by mad_manx
  • Haha 1