Firm closing

finlo

6 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

We had to bail them out then and that was right. What I’m saying is we don’t have to bail them out now and neither should we. We’re in a recession. We can’t just keep bailing people out because the worlds turned to shit.

The one major fault in your ridiculous analysis is that hospitality was never “bailed out” Hotels/boarding houses/holiday cottages were.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Passing Time said:

The one major fault in your ridiculous analysis is that hospitality was never “bailed out” Hotels/boarding houses/holiday cottages were.

It’s all searchable as to who got what so you can’t say nobody got anything even if you want to argue bailed out. The industry got help with staff wages, grants to assist diversification and a raft of other financial assistance packages. Not as good as the hotels but they got it. 

https://www.iomdfenterprise.im/coronavirus/

There are many, many entries under “Catering, Entertainment & Leisure” and especially in relation to the hospitality transition support scheme which is almost all exclusively hospitality related. 

https://www.iomdfenterprise.im/assets/COVID-19-Schemes-Data/513919e72c/HTSS-14042022.pdf

(actually across those schemes it’s interesting to see how much Conrod’s banked before closing a small business that employed about 2 people I stopped counting at about £30K)

Edited by offshoremanxman

I usually buy from wherever I can get the best value, I'm afraid I don't have much loyalty to a store just because it's 'Manx' owned.

I bought a new large TV a while ago. I shopped around and no local store could touch Curry's price. Ordered it online so didn't even bother with the store. Lots of text messages updating me of the progress. Day of delivery, the delivery guys phoned to let me know they were on the way and I nipped home from work, to let them in with the TV, all very easy and stress free.

When I bought a new TV for the kitchen recently, again I shopped around, there were a few places that with the model I was after that were actually cheaper than Curry's. I tried their price match promise, but they wouldn't as they said there was no evidence that the retailer had a physical store (you could view it on Google Street View). Walton's were actually £30.00 cheaper than Curry's so I bought it from there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s all searchable as to who got what so you can’t say nobody got anything even if you want to argue bailed out. The industry got help with staff wages, grants to assist diversification and a raft of other financial assistance packages. Not as good as the hotels but they got it. 

https://www.iomdfenterprise.im/coronavirus/

There are many, many entries under “Catering, Entertainment & Leisure” and especially in relation to the hospitality transition support scheme which is almost all exclusively hospitality related. 

https://www.iomdfenterprise.im/assets/COVID-19-Schemes-Data/513919e72c/HTSS-14042022.pdf

(actually across those schemes it’s interesting to see how much Conrod’s banked before closing a small business that employed about 2 people I stopped counting at about £30K)

Yet there were some places diversified and didn't take a penny.

Like everything, SOME of the industry had help and others didn't. 

Government doesn't have to 'bail them out'. They do however have to do everything they can to help the industry.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Government doesn't have to 'bail them out'. They do however have to do everything they can to help the industry.

Like what? They can’t make people use hospitality places in a recession. The current problem seems to be that few have any money to spend on discretionary items. How can government address that? 

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Like what? They can’t make people use hospitality places in a recession. The current problem seems to be that few have any money to spend on discretionary items. How can government address that? 

A reduction in VAT would be a good start. 

Reductions in required NI or increase in amounts people can earn prior to tax being applied. Intervention for those with second jobs to somehow make it more viable for them from a tax perspective. Both of these would help with the staff shortage that many face that would help them do more to bring in more customers. At present a lot of companies are scared to put things on as they simply couldn't service events and such like. 

4 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

A reduction in VAT would be a good start. 

Reductions in required NI or increase in amounts people can earn prior to tax being applied. Intervention for those with second jobs to somehow make it more viable for them from a tax perspective. Both of these would help with the staff shortage that many face that would help them do more to bring in more customers. At present a lot of companies are scared to put things on as they simply couldn't service events and such like. 

Yes but they can’t because of the VAT agreement with the UK. Their hands are tied.  And nobody wants to do a second job in hospitality. That’s the main issue with staff. After covid nobody can be arsed working the anti social hours there’s not much anyone can do about that unless the cost of living crisis gets much worse and people have to. 

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

Yes but they can’t because of the VAT agreement with the UK. Their hands are tied.  

They can't because they haven't even bothered opening a dialogue with UK over it. UK Hospitality is being hurt every bit as much as we are on the island and would welcome a reduction.

And nobody wants to do a second job in hospitality. That’s the main issue with staff. After covid nobody can be arsed working the anti social hours

Once again, your unswerving ability to present shite as facts never lets you down

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

It’s totally true. Nobody wants to do odd hours for shit wages anymore. That’s got nothing to do with government. As for the VAT thing do you really think the UK would listen to what the IOM wants? The UK will change the VAT situation when it suits the UK to do so, there’s nothing the IOM can do to change that. It’s no different to all the executive shed rip off merchants complaining that orders are drying up now the VAT at 5% has gone. It’s not in the IOMs control. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s totally true. Nobody wants to do odd hours for shit wages anymore. That’s got nothing to do with government. As for the VAT thing do you really think the UK would listen to what the IOM wants? The UK will change the VAT situation when it suits the UK to do so, there’s nothing the IOM can do to change that. It’s no different to all the executive shed rip off merchants complaining that orders are drying up now the VAT at 5% has gone. It’s not in the IOMs control. 

It's not true though.

There are plenty of people out there who'd like the extra income. However the fact they are then heavily taxed stops them.

You say this as fact but it's simply not true. I know people who would and have spoken to many more. Both here and in the UK. 

In terms of the VAT, as has been mentioned, the question hasn't even been asked. Or at least it doesn't appear to have been. Whilst I appreciate that the UK are in control of this and it's unlikely they'll listen to the Isle of Man, they need to at least discuss it with them. If they have asked, they should make this information public. I'm sure we're not the only ones having this issue and we could approach Jersey and Guernsey, to at least get their feedback and see if we could take a combined case to the UK. Again it's not guaranteed to work but nothing ventured....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

It's not true though.

There are plenty of people out there who'd like the extra income. However the fact they are then heavily taxed stops them.

You say this as fact but it's simply not true. I know people who would and have spoken to many more. Both here and in the UK. 

In terms of the VAT, as has been mentioned, the question hasn't even been asked. Or at least it doesn't appear to have been. Whilst I appreciate that the UK are in control of this and it's unlikely they'll listen to the Isle of Man, they need to at least discuss it with them. If they have asked, they should make this information public. I'm sure we're not the only ones having this issue and we could approach Jersey and Guernsey, to at least get their feedback and see if we could take a combined case to the UK. Again it's not guaranteed to work but nothing ventured....

Heavily taxed? You know it’s the IOM right? That’s genuinely not the reason why there aren’t enough staff around to work in either retail or hospitality. Blame Brexit for that as a primary reason for sending all the Eastern Europeans home and covid for the secondary reason (as after covid nobody who is British wants to work like an Eastern European on shit hours and shit wages unless they really have to). On VAT Jersey and Guernsey aren’t part of the common purse agreement so that VAT situation has nothing to do with them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1