Firm closing

finlo

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

image.jpeg.d68f3e165f1e1ae017a4e63cc95ea9d4.jpeg

It’s totally true. As I said above blame Brexit and blame covid but hardly anyone who is British wants to work in hospitality like an Eastern European for Eastern European wages and on the sort of anti social hours the Eastern Europeans were prepared to work. That’s your problem. There’s very little IOMG can do about that. A lot of over 50s have also realized that they can live on their pensions and savings too without having to be bothered working crap jobs either. The only way the labour pool is going to get any better is if the cost of living crisis bites even worse and people have to take shit jobs again to top up their income. That’s the reality. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

It's not true though.

There are plenty of people out there who'd like the extra income. However the fact they are then heavily taxed stops them.

they shouldn't be taxed any more at the end of the day  than if they earnt the same amount extra in their primary job , tax is based on income levels, if you're getting taxed at 20% on everything in your second job but don't reach that banding in your first job tell the tax office to adjust/update your tax code with the second employer . and if you don't do that when your tax return has been processed you should get a refund of the excess tax taken.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s totally true. As I said above blame Brexit and blame covid but hardly anyone who is British wants to work in hospitality like an Eastern European for Eastern European wages and on the sort of anti social hours the Eastern Europeans were prepared to work. That’s your problem. There’s very little IOMG can do about that. A lot of over 50s have also realized that they can live on their pensions and savings too without having to be bothered working crap jobs either. The only way the labour pool is going to get any better is if the cost of living crisis bites even worse and people have to take shit jobs again to top up their income. That’s the reality. 

Agree with the over 50's bit... I know a few with  income from savings  / buy to let without debt who have officially retired recently..They have all downsized in the property ladder and have money in the bank  

Rental income / savings rate of 4%++ and zero debt means that this is possible.. 

For a couple filing tax together the first 42k or so is taxed at around 3 % or so .( first £29k is tax free and 10% tax on the next £13k )

£3.4k a month with no liabilities still provides a good quality of life..

Edited by mad_manx

42 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Heavily taxed? You know it’s the IOM right? That’s genuinely not the reason why there aren’t enough staff around to work in either retail or hospitality. Blame Brexit for that as a primary reason for sending all the Eastern Europeans home and covid for the secondary reason (as after covid nobody who is British wants to work like an Eastern European on shit hours and shit wages unless they really have to). On VAT Jersey and Guernsey aren’t part of the common purse agreement so that VAT situation has nothing to do with them. 

So you're going to totally disregard what people in the hospitality industry are constantly being told? Where they are seeing people stop working their 2nd job because they don't feel it's worth it, after tax? All because you think you're right?

Fine regarding Jersey and Guernsey. I'm not going to pretend I know about something I don't.

7 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Agree with the over 50's bit... I know a few with  income from savings  / buy to let without debt who have officially retired recently.

Rental income / savings rate of 4%++ and zero debt means that this is possible.. 

It’s happened a lot and interest rates have shot back up too for those who have savings. The Gen X’ers were told that the state wouldn’t be providing for them by Thatchers Government and that they had to make their own provision otherwise they’d retire in poverty. It looks like many of them have provided for themselves particularly well via private pensions and BTL etc and covid was the point at which a lot of them got off the conveyor. Sunak is now looking at inducements to bring over 50s back into the workplace in the UK. I know of one IFA firm in the UK whose covid sales book was almost entirely made up of over 50s consolidating and transferring their pensions so that they could fully or semi retire. It’s another reason why very few want to do crap paid part time jobs. They don’t need to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katman said:

I bought a new large TV a while ago. I shopped around and no local store could touch Curry's price. Ordered it online so didn't even bother with the store. Lots of text messages updating me of the progress. Day of delivery, the delivery guys phoned to let me know they were on the way and I nipped home from work, to let them in with the TV, all very easy and stress free.

The Currys website seems to be a different beast from the store. You can speak to their UK helpline and get sorted if it goes wrong. The store is the real problem.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NoTail said:

While we are on domestic appliances.  Can anyone here recommend a good toaster. Ours is rubbish. 

You pick a toaster for the aesthetic - does the colour scheme match your plates or whatever.  They're all basically the same.  I got a cheapo one from Tesco about 6 years ago - one half still works.  The fancy-pants ones for a couple of hundred quid won't make nicer toast.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

You pick a toaster for the aesthetic - does the colour scheme match your plates or whatever.  They're all basically the same.  I got a cheapo one from Tesco about 6 years ago - one half still works.  The fancy-pants ones for a couple of hundred quid won't make nicer toast.

You're absolutely right. Missus picked up a new toaster a few weeks ago but it had to march the kettle.

17 minutes ago, wrighty said:

10 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

You're absolutely right. Missus picked up a new toaster a few weeks ago but it had to march the kettle.

@wrighty you've been indoctrinated dude.  As chauvinistic as it sounds, surely that's Mrs Wrighty talking?  Surely any red-blooded male being allowed to make their own choice would purchase a toaster with a similar power output to that of the sun and complete the toasting cycle within a matter of seconds.  Maybe with an attached bottle opener or some sort of tactical modular accessories? 

With modern tech, I'm baffled to why I haven't seen a (like a paint) colour chart on a toaster to nail the perfect level of toastiness. 

But yeah, our toaster matches our kettle.  I think the colour is greige. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

It's not true though.

There are plenty of people out there who'd like the extra income. However the fact they are then heavily taxed stops them.

You say this as fact but it's simply not true. I know people who would and have spoken to many more. Both here and in the UK. 

In terms of the VAT, as has been mentioned, the question hasn't even been asked. Or at least it doesn't appear to have been. Whilst I appreciate that the UK are in control of this and it's unlikely they'll listen to the Isle of Man, they need to at least discuss it with them. If they have asked, they should make this information public. I'm sure we're not the only ones having this issue and we could approach Jersey and Guernsey, to at least get their feedback and see if we could take a combined case to the UK. Again it's not guaranteed to work but nothing ventured....

That whole post is absolute nonsense.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

So you're going to totally disregard what people in the hospitality industry are constantly being told? Where they are seeing people stop working their 2nd job because they don't feel it's worth it, after tax? All because you think you're right?

Fine regarding Jersey and Guernsey. I'm not going to pretend I know about something I don't.

That’s a communication issue and misunderstanding of the tax system by those people.  Not an issue for government to sort out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

I'm not sure you are understanding how income tax works

You pay income tax on your gross earnings. Regardless of how many jobs you have. Everyone pays the same

You only get relief on your earnings up to a level. Thats applied to your main job. Any other jobs you pay the default 20%. How would the tax office know in advance how much you are going to earn. At the end of the tax year any over/under payment is corrected.

Its the same everywhere isn't it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

With modern tech, I'm baffled to why I haven't seen a (like a paint) colour chart on a toaster to nail the perfect level of toastiness. 

In my mind I’ve already invented that - one with some sort of optical sensor that determines the right level of browning to pop up. It’s probably possible, but not sure how you could make it affordable - a sensor that’s able to work next to a heating element might not be that reliable. And would cost far more than the £20 generic Tesco toaster that works just fine. 

• Like 1