Firm closing

finlo

8 minutes ago, wrighty said:

In my mind I’ve already invented that - one with some sort of optical sensor that determines the right level of browning to pop up. It’s probably possible, but not sure how you could make it affordable - a sensor that’s able to work next to a heating element might not be that reliable. And would cost far more than the £20 generic Tesco toaster that works just fine. 

I have optical sensors on mine, and also a smell detector. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not sure you are understanding how income tax works

You pay income tax on your gross earnings. Regardless of how many jobs you have. Everyone pays the same

You only get relief on your earnings up to a level. Thats applied to your main job. Any other jobs you pay the default 20%. How would the tax office know in advance how much you are going to earn. At the end of the tax year any over/under payment is corrected.

Its the same everywhere isn't it. 

Yes but if you start in a secondary job, you'll be charged the full percentage of tax (at 20%) and NI on the whole amount.  There won't be any allowances or use of the 10% rate.  Of course if your primary job earning don't use up your full allowances (which is quite likely or why would you be getting a second job) , then you'll get a refund when you do your tax return.  But that could be well over a year after you were paid and again  if you're going for a second job it's probably because you need the money now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

That’s a communication issue and misunderstanding of the tax system by those people.  Not an issue for government to sort out

So the tax rate on 2nd PAYE job isn't automatically at a higher rate 20% from day one then? You won't see anything you overpay until you get a rebate some 12 months later once your tax return is assessed?  

Or do you pay a tax consultant to help you understand it? Or is the part-time employer expected to provide tax advise to the employee? 

And if the work isn't steady but you lose any benefits, then stability and security of a regular income goes and often thats the opposite of what anyone on low income with a family to support needs. 

Maybe it's time the organiation responsible for taxes, benefiting directly from them, and also responsible for the benefits system ought to be the ones to sort it out so the benefits of a 2nd job are communicated and understood.

After all they completely fail to teach it in schools too. Or maybe we are emant to pick it up by osmosis from some bloke down the pub or on MF?

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

With modern tech, I'm baffled to why I haven't seen a (like a paint) colour chart on a toaster to nail the perfect level of toastiness. 

Instead of a paint colour chart, you could use Michael Jackson  albums

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, jackwhite said:

It's not true though.

There are plenty of people out there who'd like the extra income. However the fact they are then heavily taxed stops them.

You say this as fact but it's simply not true. I know people who would and have spoken to many more. Both here and in the UK. 

In terms of the VAT, as has been mentioned, the question hasn't even been asked. Or at least it doesn't appear to have been. Whilst I appreciate that the UK are in control of this and it's unlikely they'll listen to the Isle of Man, they need to at least discuss it with them. If they have asked, they should make this information public. I'm sure we're not the only ones having this issue and we could approach Jersey and Guernsey, to at least get their feedback and see if we could take a combined case to the UK. Again it's not guaranteed to work but nothing ventured....

Heavily taxed?

Where?

The Isle of Man?

Ha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

That’s a communication issue and misunderstanding of the tax system by those people.  Not an issue for government to sort out

It's not though. In most cases a second job will be taxed at a higher rate than the first.

The only complication comes when people like you and the government say it's not true. Technically you're correct, but it's very misleading and disengenuos.

To all intents and purposes, in a vast majority of cases a second job will be taxed higher than the first, in comparison to only having the first job. It really isn't very difficult.

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not sure you are understanding how income tax works

You pay income tax on your gross earnings. Regardless of how many jobs you have. Everyone pays the same

You only get relief on your earnings up to a level. Thats applied to your main job. Any other jobs you pay the default 20%. How would the tax office know in advance how much you are going to earn. At the end of the tax year any over/under payment is corrected.

Its the same everywhere isn't it. 

You work a full time but not especially well paid job. You need an extra £150 a week right now cos your car blew up or whatever, get an extra part time job at £11 an hour you only get £8.80 cos of the 20% thing, its a major nuisance and definitely puts people off taking temporary part time work. Even though doing it always results in a significant rebate, which is great, that can be 18 months away. And I know you can mess about with the tax codes if you want, but that can make things more complicated ultimately.

This is a scenario that unless you've actually lived it, you are unlikely to understand. It doesn't really apply to people who aren't skint.

• Thanks 7

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes but if you start in a secondary job, you'll be charged the full percentage of tax (at 20%) and NI on the whole amount.  There won't be any allowances or use of the 10% rate.  Of course if your primary job earning don't use up your full allowances (which is quite likely or why would you be getting a second job) , then you'll get a refund when you do your tax return.  But that could be well over a year after you were paid and again  if you're going for a second job it's probably because you need the money now.

Yes. That's exactly what I said. How could it be any other way though. Most people will use up all their allowance on their first job anyway so it becomes irrelevant.

35 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You work a full time but not especially well paid job. You need an extra £150 a week right now cos your car blew up or whatever, get an extra part time job at £11 an hour you only get £8.80 cos of the 20% thing, its a major nuisance and definitely puts people off taking temporary part time work. Even though doing it always results in a significant rebate, which is great, that can be 18 months away. And I know you can mess about with the tax codes if you want, but that can make things more complicated ultimately.

This is a scenario that unless you've actually lived it, you are unlikely to understand. It doesn't really apply to people who aren't skint.

I don't disagree. I get what you are saying. But how can it be done any differently. They don't have crystal balls. If it PAYE how would your second employee be able to know how much to pay you? Genuine question