Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

Do you know - I think he’s on to something!

Although, speaking as a former rocket scientist, I find the comparison very tedious.   Many, many things turn out not to be, in fact, rocket science.

Rocket science? Not exactly brain surgery is it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m saying you have the exact same tax allowances and reliefs regardless of how many jobs you have so at the end of the tax year all your allowances and reliefs are tested against all of your income to arrive at your net tax bill - so you don’t pay anymore in tax whether you have one job or five over all. 

When you're first employer can't afford a pay rise and you pay goes down in real terms, you take a second job maybe at a lower rate or unsocial hours only to find you are having more taken off you than you pay in your first job. Yes, you'll get the difference back eventually but it feels like you are being penalised for being poor when you see the payslip.

This isn't about Jeremy from HR making a bit pin money for his hobby, this is people on the breadline with little choice. Seems to me the same code should apply to all jobs but that wouldn't give the governement a free loan for a year or more.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You keep saying this. But you have no alternative suggestion. It's the same the world over  

The fact that someone has no current solution to it doesn't stop them describing a problem - indeed without doing that very few problems would be solved.  Even knowing what the problem is may help govern people's actions and no one sane reacts to a bad weather forecast by asking the Met Office what they are going to do to sort it out.

As for being the same the world over, I don't think it is.  It mainly appears to be an anglophone system (though the French have recently introduced it), I suspect designed to provide a steady flow of income for the post-War welfare state.  Traditionally taxes have been assessed and paid annually in most places, which causes its own difficulties.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Do you know - I think he’s on to something!

Although, speaking as a former rocket scientist, I find the comparison very tedious.   Many, many things turn out not to be, in fact, rocket science.

2 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

When you're first employer can't afford a pay rise and you pay goes down in real terms, you take a second job maybe at a lower rate or unsocial hours only to find you are having more taken off you than you pay in your first job. Yes, you'll get the difference back eventually but it feels like you are being penalised for being poor when you see the payslip.

This isn't about Jeremy from HR making a bit pin money for his hobby, this is people on the breadline with little choice. Seems to me the same code should apply to all jobs but that wouldn't give the governement a free loan for a year or more.

51 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The fact that someone has no current solution to it doesn't stop them describing a problem - indeed without doing that very few problems would be solved.  Even knowing what the problem is may help govern people's actions and no one sane reacts to a bad weather forecast by asking the Met Office what they are going to do to sort it out.

As for being the same the world over, I don't think it is.  It mainly appears to be an anglophone system (though the French have recently introduced it), I suspect designed to provide a steady flow of income for the post-War welfare state.  Traditionally taxes have been assessed and paid annually in most places, which causes its own difficulties.

Now there are 3 of you at it. No solution. But now expecting someone else to magically come up with one. 😀

15 hours ago, wrighty said:

You pick a toaster for the aesthetic - does the colour scheme match your plates or whatever.  They're all basically the same.  I got a cheapo one from Tesco about 6 years ago - one half still works.  The fancy-pants ones for a couple of hundred quid won't make nicer toast.

Not really..If you like doorstop toast for example normal toasters cannot handle it .

You need a variable width toaster .

Can't go wrong with Breville .  Have recommended it to many friends and family and they are all happy 

Can get a very decent one for under £30 

10 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You keep saying this. But you have no alternative suggestion. It's the same the world over  

I don't particularly have a solution, I do not write tax policy and am not an employer in the hospitality sector.

I am simply trying to get across for those people like yourself who deny there is a problem that there is a problem.

Take your head from your cosseted ass.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Now there are 3 of you at it. No solution. But now expecting someone else to magically come up with one. 😀

Surely the simple answer is for there to be a way to apply any unused personal allowance to the second job straightaway?  Has anyone actually spoken to the tax office to see if this can be done and how, rather than wait until the tax year end?   

Just now, Gladys said:

Surely the simple answer is for there to be a way to apply any unused personal allowance to the second job straightaway?  Has anyone actually spoken to the tax office to see if this can be done and how, rather than wait until the tax year end?   

It would be possible to forward estimate from job one and calculate if there was allowance left I guess. Then allow employer 2 to apply some allowance to job 2. Maybe it's considered too time consuming. It would kind of work ok I guess until there was job 3. 

My missus had 3 jobs and one self employed income in 20/21 so we are familiar with the issue. 

8 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

That Jeremy from HR gets about. The tax situation isn’t the main reason why people aren’t doing second jobs. The reason is after covid people don’t want to and unless the cost of living crisis gets even worse they won’t. The labour shortage has largely been caused by Brexit and covid not by tax rules that have been in place for about 40 odd years. 

“Jonnie” Moss the worlds most insincere man interviewing the owner of Pascoes on the radio this morning and doing his usual trick of not listening to anything his interviewee actually says. She seems to be really happy to be retiring and he just keeps on following the doom and gloom script in his head. Pitiful media reporting.