Firm closing

finlo

14 hours ago, jackwhite said:

You contradict yourself here.

I'm happy to pay a premium for a quality product. I don't see any 'quality' products here. What we have is, at best, comparable quality to cheap stuff. When you've got that and the local products is 3 times as expensive, it's a no brainer.

Again mostly everything here is done half arsed and it shows.

quality product?    we forever hear about a quality this or that but never what the quality is,  is it good quality or poor quality ?    by saying just quality  you imagine good quality . i've bought so called quality local produce before and it is of lesser quality than the cheapo stuff imported by super markets.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I see Gawne is adding his two pennerth in the NPM - suggests combining the flour mill with the bakery. Good old Gawne, good with money …………….. like the coop, especially other peoples money where you aren’t checked or surcharged. Also likes government interference in our lives, and state controls. 

Does he have any opinions yet on the Liverpool Terminal that he signed us up to?

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Does he have any opinions yet on the Liverpool Terminal that he signed us up to?

No. I’m sure he will be waiting for his invite to the terminals opening with the rest of the great and the good.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gladys said:

Well we know that a disaster plan either did not exist, or if it did was ignored for Covid.   

We did have a plan and it was ignored.  The issue of food security and issues around fuel availability and price increases formed part of the brexit plan. I feel we could dust off the no deal contingency plan and put it into action now. 

Although it seems only the chamber of commerce has the CMs ear so we need to wait for them to define the govt policy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NoTailT said:

DFE and their agencies are constantly asking key businesses in their sectors for feedback on how the economy is, how business is performing and asking what challenges they're facing. Because: that's their jobs.

It's obvious you don't run a business

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

It's obvious you don't run a business

I know plenty of people in the digital economy here who do and that is their experience.

Maybe it's more of a success of Digital Isle of Man than DFE itself...?

Edited by NoTailT

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I know plenty of people in the digital economy here who do and that is their experience.

Maybe it's more of a success of Digital Isle of Man than DFE itself...?

As I suspected lots of commenting but you have no "skin in the game". Government have been in bed with finance since the late 70's and have given no consideration to anything else.

1 hour ago, WTF said:

quality product?    we forever hear about a quality this or that but never what the quality is,  is it good quality or poor quality ?    by saying just quality  you imagine good quality . i've bought so called quality local produce before and it is of lesser quality than the cheapo stuff imported by super markets.

Would have thought from my post it's clear I mean good quality. Never heard something of bad quality referred to as a quality product.

What were these 'quality local produce'?

17 hours ago, Banker said:

Totally correct, unfortunately a lot just want cheapest they can get no matter the quality! 
you also get idiots like Offshore Manc & JackWhite actively slagging off local products.

Absolutely spot on.

And the issue is wider than RB. M&S sell a loaf of bread for 65p. There's no way on God's green earth that they can make it, ship it here, sell it for 65p and make a profit. It's clearly a massive loss leader.

But you still get the brainless mouthing off that Ramsey Bakery are shit because they don't sell their bread for 65p.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Manx Resident said:

Perhaps, more seriously, your could direct your question to the Cabinet Office and ask if there are any contingency plans for key risks to IOM?. Perhaps there are none which is why everything is such a surprise?. 

You're conflating. A private business has announced it's closing, and didn't choose to share that news with government. Government has responded today and is meeting that business tomorrow. Maybe starting parliamentary sessions with prayers to assure daily bread has made people complacent, but I don't think so. There are contingency plans for all sorts of things, and whilst this is bad news (especially for the 80+ people who are employed in the bakery and supply chain) it is a commercial decision and will not impact the supply of bread.

10 hours ago, NoTailT said:

She's clearly a pal of yours, that's cool.

It's the responsibility of Government and its officers to be engaged with industry. We may be a country, but we are the size of a small town. It's not difficult.

The fact that nobody there has had any engagement whatsoever with RB in 6+ months is ridiculous. Officers should be keeping tabs on industry, especially major employers, to avoid shocks like this.

If Janice from Peel who makes artisan chutneys in her spare time shuts up shop its a shame for Janice, but not for the Island. What we are talking about here is a potential threat to our self-sustainabilty. That's why it's important.

DFE wrapped the egaming officers when the P* job cuts kept coming as surprises and they changed BDMs in to 'Strategic Partnership Managers' who monitor the industries they are responsible for.

This isn't about war. We are a small isolated Island. Contingency of basic supplies is critical.

Your clarity is misplaced. I've spent a total of around 2½ minutes talking to Clare since September.

As others have opined, it is NOT the job of government to interfere with businesses on a regular basis, unless asked to do so or a problem is flagged up. We need smaller government, not excuses to employ even more civil servants doing regular health and wellbeing checks on commercial concerns who would most likely resent the intrusion.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Would have thought from my post it's clear I mean good quality. Never heard something of bad quality referred to as a quality product.

What were these 'quality local produce'?

veggies at a farmers market ,  by the time the squatting insect and creature colonies of various types and soil had been removed what was left looked rather shit.

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I get Manx potatoes delivered with my milk order from the Creamery and they are great 🤗.

So have I plus butter, gellings eggs & cheese & all products are great without having to drive to Tesco, find a park , push through hordes & drive home again to save 1£ !!

• Like 1