Firm closing

finlo

28 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

UK chain with over 100 stores. 

All for having a blossoming high street but would much prefer local businesses. 

Clearly becoming harder by the day though for that to be affordable. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

UK chain with over 100 stores. 

All for having a blossoming high street but would much prefer local businesses. 

Clearly becoming harder by the day though for that to be affordable. 

I guess they will benefit from all the economies of scale which a local enterprise only wouldn’t have.

And they w be employing local labour so good luck to them

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Last paragraph

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

I guess they will benefit from all the economies of scale which a local enterprise only wouldn’t have.

They will but still rips the piss for what it is. Holland and Barrett the same. 

Some things they have in there I buy regularly and figured could buy cheaper still from M&S. 

14 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I’m guessing you won’t be a regular customer, then…😉

I never am in these places. 

If they offered value then I'd consider it. 

I do tend to try to stick to local shops if I can. However it's often not possible for what I buy. 

As I said, they have two products I buy regularly but as they're in M&S cheaper it makes more sense to buy from them. It's why I spend most of my shopping money to be fair.

I'd been getting chicken from a local butcher in bulk recently and it honestly was going off within a day or two. Just wasn't worth it. 

38 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What M&S being a local firm?

I know M&S aren't local but I can't exactly buy chicken from the new place, conveniently sized fruit and other stuff I regularly get, can I?

When I get a chance I will go up to Robinsons or shop on the one on the Terrace. But the reality is I'm often pushed for time. I use these companies when I'm placing orders in business. 

The reality is I get around an hour total spread across the week to shop for myself, so it has to be convenient. If I get more than that I will drive around to the local places. 

Is there more I could do? Possibly. But then again I could probably just order it all from Tesco, Amazon or such like and save myself even more time. I don't.

Happy to pay a premium for things but I only have so many hours in the day, so convenience is a key consideration a lot of the time.

1 hour ago, WTF said:

is saxophone a euphemism here ? 

No. But perhaps “woody” is.

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Only in your head WTF.  Only in your head.

if anyone has seen KAQ “blowing” a sax or in the “Woody”, recently, they need to reign back the drink or drugs

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

See Patchwork cafe in PSM has announced they’re closing due to costs of operating & VAT regulations. He never opened in winter except Xmas & he was only open for limited hours anyway.

Seemed more of a hobby funded by parents but still will be missed

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

See Patchwork cafe in PSM has announced they’re closing due to costs of operating & VAT regulations. He never opened in winter except Xmas & he was only open for limited hours anyway.

Seemed more of a hobby funded by parents but still will be missed

The only way I can think the VAT regulations might affect that place is if the price increases necessitated by inflation of heat, light, power, wages, rent and raw materials, take it over the registration threshold. That’d be some stretch given the limited opening hours.

Just now, John Wright said:

The only way I can think the VAT regulations might affect that place is if the price increases necessitated by inflation of heat, light, power, wages, rent and raw materials, take it over the registration threshold. That’d be some stretch given the limited opening hours.

Possibly because the VAT paid cannot be reclaimed because they are not registered?