Firm closing

finlo

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I bet the Tories have a secret PIBs department.

But you know what I mean.  Big business, it wouldn't make much of a difference.  But the little traders, it would. 

it was the use of "plebs" I was commenting on - referencing "lower classes" - really?

5 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

it was the use of "plebs" I was commenting on - referencing "lower classes" - really?

I'm a self identifying pleb myself. I'm neither in Govt nor Aristocracy. Therefore a pleb. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

it doesn't go into government coffers does it?

Actually, VAT collected here does.

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Well in the end it does once pooled and shared between us and the UK under the flexible agreement. 

It's not actually a bitch about the IOM Govt, as I'm aware we couldn't set it independent of the UK.  In light of inflation and the fact that it's not gone up in 5 years, it definitely would be good for the plebs in business if it was raised. 

There is a periodic calculation and balancing payment, hopefully in our direction.

No, we couldn’t change the registration threshold separately to the UK.

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There was a shop on Facebook just now from Castletown saying they were closing for the rest of the week because it was so quiet, I think it sells ornaments etc.   this will be happening more and more..so sad.

What?

If they sold something people wanted in a location where people wanted it then they wouldn’t be quiet!

It really is that simple.

Other business are surviving, growing or even opening at the moment.  Why is it “so sad” that one business is failing?

50 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There was a shop on Facebook just now from Castletown saying they were closing for the rest of the week because it was so quiet, I think it sells ornaments etc.   this will be happening more and more..so sad.

That's because young people don't want ornaments anymore. It's a fact. 

49 minutes ago, Ativa said:

What?

If they sold something people wanted in a location where people wanted it then they wouldn’t be quiet!

It really is that simple.

Other business are surviving, growing or even opening at the moment.  Why is it “so sad” that one business is failing?

Correct. Adapt or die.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

That's because young people don't want ornaments anymore. It's a fact. 

But one of the current worries/complaints is that we have an ageing population, we even promote the Island to such, including wealthy retired. Surely such a demographic should be queueing to buy ornaments?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

But one of the current worries/complaints is that we have an ageing population, we even promote the Island to such, including wealthy retired. Surely such a demographic should be queueing to buy ornaments?

Even the wealthy aging population don't want ornaments anymore. I think you need to catch up on 'cash in the attic'. 

No, on second thoughts don't. It's shit. But the fact remains. The bottom has fallen out of bric a brac and ornaments. You'll just have to believe me. 

• Haha 2