Firm closing

finlo

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Business people want more help but don’t say how it should be funded eg higher taxes

Business leaders generally think it should be funded by higher taxes on the plebe whilst simultaneously demanding lower taxes for business leaders.

And they have the cheek to criticise social security.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Business leaders generally think it should be funded by higher taxes on the plebe whilst simultaneously demanding lower taxes for business leaders.

And they have the cheek to criticise social security.

Guernsey proposals if taxes aren’t raised is real terms cuts to all budgets except health so presumably cuts in services/redundancies 

https://guernseypress.com/news/2023/03/30/all-committees-except-hsc-asked-to-make-budget-cuts/

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I actually don’t know of any advocates firm charging for storing a will securely.

Im all in favour of wills, once executed, having to be filed in a central registry.

Relaxed about it being electronic.

That'd need legislation. Go lobby.

I'm not really bothered TBH. It was just discussion. 

I think that there are developments in the electronic field. Start up legal firms developing apps for wills and other relatively simple operations. Because the apps are run by solicitors they are not breaking any laws. It's going to be the future. I don't think I'll need or want to lobby.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SmartWill

This is a poor free attempt. But my son worked for a start up company who have been developing on line documents for a couple of years. Only available to solicitors and at some cost. 

Edited by Happier diner

55 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not really bothered TBH. It was just discussion. 

I think that there are developments in the electronic field. Start up legal firms developing apps for wills and other relatively simple operations. Because the apps are run by solicitors they are not breaking any laws. It's going to be the future. I don't think I'll need or want to lobby.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SmartWill

This is a poor free attempt. But my son worked for a start up company who have been developing on line documents for a couple of years. Only available to solicitors and at some cost. 

Yes, and I’m trying to discuss.

Ive had a wills instruction web site for 16 years. I can harvest the info and paste into a standard template that I’ve drafted.

However to get probate of an e - will, and to recognise electronic signatures of testator and witnesses will need legislation.

How many people have e-signatures yet?

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Ive had a wills instruction web site for 16 years. I can harvest the info and paste into a standard template that I’ve drafted.

However to get probate of an e - will, and to recognise electronic signatures of testator and witnesses will need legislation.

A few years ago there was a firm that tried to put together an e-identity wallet for the Isle.  All your ID documents etc would have been also digitized and it would have allowed e-signature as standard.  The Island they thought due to it's size, active business sectors and 'flexible and pro-active Govt' would have been an ideal test-bed.  Then they had to deal with the FSA who were obstructive in the extreme. 

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

You don’t have to identify and list every asset. In fact that’s dangerous if you then move assets.

Occasionally people will leave a specific insurance policy, bank account contents or investment product.

The more practical way is to add everything up and then divide and distribute by percentages or shares.

Which therefore you never need an advocate. 
A scrap of paper was my mothers will. Get death certificate, get probate and away you go. Piece of piss. 

34 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I sign my UK taxes electronically, so legislation and technology does exist. In fact, all my accountant's clients sign electronically.

In the UK we also have the E-Filing Service, also see UK legalises public documents electronically so there's no reason why wills can't be uploaded to a central database, just legislation. I think I maybe saw something related to this but can't find it.

7 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

1. I sign my UK taxes electronically, so legislation and technology does exist. In fact, all my accountant's clients sign electronically.

2. In the UK we also have the E-Filing Service, also see UK legalises public documents electronically so there's no reason why wills can't be uploaded to a central database, just legislation. I think I maybe saw something related to this but can't find it.

1. That exists on Island.

2. The current problem is that the court requires the original will with original signatures to apply for, and grant probate. That will require legislation. We can’t even sign pleadings and court summonses electronically here. In England using money claims on line you can.

3. we then come to whether GTS would be up to producing anything other than a laborious half hearted failure.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

1. That exists on Island.

2. The current problem is that the court requires the original will with original signatures to apply for, and grant probate. That will require legislation. We can’t even sign pleadings and court summonses electronically here. In England using money claims on line you can.

3. we then come to whether GTS would be up to producing anything other than a laborious half hearted failure.

When you install software on Windows the program will generally be Code-Signed. The code-signing certificate logic could be used so that an advocate / solicitor would upload the e-will and code-sign as part of the process.

Code-signing certificates are well regulated and can't be forged.

7 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

When you install software on Windows the program will generally be Code-Signed. The code-signing certificate logic could be used so that an advocate / solicitor would upload the e-will and code-sign as part of the process.

Code-signing certificates are well regulated and can't be forged.

Sigh. Never mind.

26 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

You really don't understand. This is a fool-proof, well tested solution. 

I do understand. It’s a potential solution to one small step in the process between drafting, execution, storage and production and probate after death.

It assumes a notary or lawyer is involved in drafting and uploading.

It ignores the practicalities of dealing with multiple jurisdictions, mutual recognitions, and treaties that set out the framework to deal with those types of things via national legislation.

Ideally it’s where we should be going. But going alone could make the actual obtaining of probate and administering an estate with elements outside the island could become very expensive with affidavits being necessary to explain why we do it the way no one else does.

Im not a Luddite about this. I fully support a modernisation. But….

The discussion seems to have started because someone stated that a bank had charged/tried to charge an exorbitant sum to produce an original will out of their safe custody storage. I’m not aware of any firm of advocates charging for storage or production.

I am aware of wills going missing because we don’t have a compulsory central register, which comes back to the question posed by VoR.