Firm closing

finlo

53 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Drone survey:Isle of man.

Thoughts?  Sounds like someone throwing their toys out of the pram tbh.

We were involved in a public tender (surveying Kirk Micheal coastal area), 3 Manx companies and 2 UK companies submitted their tenders. There was a section 'Local Economic Factors' which is weighed 10% towards the final tender. All 3 Manx companies scored 3 / 5, the UK company which won the tender scored 4 / 5! 

This is despite Manx companies paying Manx taxes, employing Manx workers who pay Manx taxes, and spend their earnings locally which attracts VAT and further taxes. A UK company, it would perhaps fly in on Easy Jet and stay at a hotel for a few days, we question that they should score any more than 0 / 5, almost all money from a tender is taken off island in such instance, there is next to zero local economic advantage. 

This has taught us the Manx Government does not want to support local high-tech companies, which because of our locality, we have no chance of competing for contracts in the UK, the travel and stay arrangements put us at a disadvantage. Yet our advantage of being already on the island, with higher living costs are not even reflected in the one aspect of the tender where it should have been.

As such we will be shutting all operations and dissolving the company and equipment, we cannot exist in an environment with such odds against us.”

This has been happening for years and many local companies have complained about the tender process which is supposed to save taxpayers money.

The tender process was supposed to be getting revised to put a higher weighting in for local companies but obviously not happened , suggest you take up with your MHK to get questions asked in Tynwald,

55 minutes ago, Banker said:

This has been happening for years and many local companies have complained about the tender process which is supposed to save taxpayers money.

The tender process was supposed to be getting revised to put a higher weighting in for local companies but obviously not happened , suggest you take up with your MHK to get questions asked in Tynwald,

I won’t be taking it up with anyone.  There isn’t enough info there to form an opinion.

The local weighting is only a small percentage of the tender process.  If he was three times the price I’d the off island firm then it’s right it went to them in my opinion

4 minutes ago, Ativa said:

I won’t be taking it up with anyone.  There isn’t enough info there to form an opinion.

The local weighting is only a small percentage of the tender process.  If he was three times the price I’d the off island firm then it’s right it went to them in my opinion

I have mixed feelings about this.  If the government were to pay say 50% more to a local company compared to a UK company then there will be many here who will say that its a waste of taxpayers money .

Surely the cost of  having to fly in the people and give local accommodation will  be additional cost to the UK company 

Unless it's some mega contract wouldn't a 10% weight age to local companies be enough? 

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

I have mixed feelings about this.  If the government were to pay say 50% more to a local company compared to a UK company then there will be many here who will say that its a waste of taxpayers money .

Surely the cost of  having to fly in the people and give local accommodation will  be additional cost to the UK company 

Unless it's some mega contract wouldn't a 10% weight age to local companies be enough? 

The cost of bringing them in would be in the tender price surely? Ie not an "on cost". 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ativa said:

Drone survey:Isle of man.

Thoughts?  Sounds like someone throwing their toys out of the pram tbh.

We were involved in a public tender (surveying Kirk Micheal coastal area), 3 Manx companies and 2 UK companies submitted their tenders. There was a section 'Local Economic Factors' which is weighed 10% towards the final tender. All 3 Manx companies scored 3 / 5, the UK company which won the tender scored 4 / 5! 

This is despite Manx companies paying Manx taxes, employing Manx workers who pay Manx taxes, and spend their earnings locally which attracts VAT and further taxes. A UK company, it would perhaps fly in on Easy Jet and stay at a hotel for a few days, we question that they should score any more than 0 / 5, almost all money from a tender is taken off island in such instance, there is next to zero local economic advantage. 

This has taught us the Manx Government does not want to support local high-tech companies, which because of our locality, we have no chance of competing for contracts in the UK, the travel and stay arrangements put us at a disadvantage. Yet our advantage of being already on the island, with higher living costs are not even reflected in the one aspect of the tender where it should have been.

As such we will be shutting all operations and dissolving the company and equipment, we cannot exist in an environment with such odds against us.”

Absolute case of throwing toys out of the pram

The tender was to survey the “Kirk Micheal” ( sic) area.

The tender no doubt was to be given to the operator who was thought to do the best job. Such tender offers normally come with the caveat that the job would not necessarily be given to the cheapest tender or some other consideration.

The writer says that the travel and stay accommodation costs put them at a  disadvantage when competing for contracts in the UK. But that also applies to UK companies competing for contracts here. 

Some might say that the 10% weighted margin advantage on quotes already give Manx operators an unfair advantage. I think that’s about right though. 

At the end of the day it is for those putting out the tender to make the decision as to who they think would do the best job.

If either of the other two Manx companies tendering had won the contract would the writer have anything to complain about?
If unsuccessful would those companies  be saying that they “ cannot exist in an environment with such odds against us”and give up the ghost. Or just accept that you won’t get every job you tender for,  and not blame everyone else.

During my lifetime I have been for job interviews and haven’t got the job. As have the overwhelming majority of people.

If you have belief in yourself and your capabilities you just move on, maybe change direction, and not wallow in self pity. It’s not a good look 

• Like 6

It's a shame Ms. Christians business is to close, no doubt she has seen rises in heat and light, possibly staff costs but not in the generally reported cost of living increases, I doubt a Cucumber doubling in price has affected her business.

Most likely a downturn in custom along with the energy costs and possibly rental costs, end of lease, are what has caused this re-assessment of the viability of the business???

So maybe not a typical closure that could be reflective of an Island wide problem???

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

So maybe not a typical closure that could be reflective of an Island wide problem???

I think she’s named staff costs on Facebook. It’s not easy in retail across the board. That said she has an MHKs wage to fall back on so it’s probably an easier decision for her to pull the plug. Many others won’t have a choice but to keep on going and hope it rights itself as the business is their main income. That’s not being critical of her but I doubt an MHK wants any accusations of trading whilst insolvent if it’s looking bleak and so it makes sense to pull the plug if it’s not your main income. At least she has real life experience of how hard it is to keep afloat unlike many in the gilded cage of IOMG. 

3 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

Is that the same company that’s owned by the guy who is always crying as his green agenda company misses out on contracts? If it is I can see why as he is constantly crying and been negative on his posts 

SE? seems it is