Firm closing

finlo

15 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What if RB did not want to co-operate and give honest answers, perhaps they decided some time ago to close?  There have been hints that the next generation weren't keen to carry on. So perhaps closure was a plan for some time and they didn't want to "have the conversation" with govt in case they were put under pressure not to do as they planned.

I am just not convinced that govt have slipped up here; a conversation consists of at least two parties.  

If the boat doesn't sail, I doubt there will be famine.  There may be inconvenience, but hardly a national crisis. 

Maybe they didn't want to co-operate. Still doesn't pardon the lack of effort by DEFA or Enterprise.

Like I've said previously, Government should have a broad horizon understanding of it's self-sustainability in the event of a crisis. Considering UK military preparations until recently were for imminent war in Europe, I'm surprised there hasn't been any supplied planning or consideration of stockpiling by Government, to be honest.

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

Maybe they didn't want to co-operate. Still doesn't pardon the lack of effort by DEFA or Enterprise.

Like I've said previously, Government should have a broad horizon understanding of it's self-sustainability in the event of a crisis. Considering UK military preparations until recently were for imminent war in Europe, I'm surprised there hasn't been any supplied planning or consideration of stockpiling by Government, to be honest.

We don't know what effort there has or hasn't been.  

As for the second paragraph, do you really think there should have been stockpiling?  Where, of what and from whom? 

I do agree that govt has not shown itself willing to have an emergency plan or implement it  as we saw during Covid.  Even simple stuff like communication to the masses was made up as they went along.  Some bits of the govt machine/strategic operators were not fully involved in the response, others were not properly consulted, remember the almost dismissive attitude towards the Steam Packet who had valid concerns?  It was made up on the fly.

We were told that it was uncharted waters and there was no manual.  But there should have been, even when you are in uncharted waters you still have a boat, a compass, the stars and a crew who know what their role is in an emergency.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

We don't know what effort there has or hasn't been.  

As for the second paragraph, do you really think there should have been stockpiling?  Where, of what and from whom? 

I do agree that govt has not shown itself willing to have an emergency plan or implement it  as we saw during Covid.  Even simple stuff like communication to the masses was made up as they went along.  Some bits of the govt machine/strategic operators were not fully involved in the response, others were not properly consulted, remember the almost dismissive attitude towards the Steam Packet who had valid concerns?  It was made up on the fly.

We were told that it was uncharted waters and there was no manual.  But there should have been, even when you are in uncharted waters you still have a boat, a compass, the stars and a crew who know what their role is in an emergency.  

I'm not saying there should have been stockpiling but, what planning was in place for a potential engagement of war in Europe? It was a very close possibility that has rightly diminished a bit now.

With ref to effort. Barber said herself that neither she nor any of her officers had spoken to RB in any capacity since the last election. 6+ months ago?

7 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I'm not saying there should have been stockpiling but, what planning was in place for a potential engagement of war in Europe? It was a very close possibility that has rightly diminished a bit now.

With ref to effort. Barber said herself that neither she nor any of her officers had spoken to RB in any capacity since the last election. 6+ months ago?

It's always government's fault. Everything.

Seems they need to be mind readers as well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

The failure isn't government's fault, nobody is saying that.

But the 'surprise' of it to Gov is their own fault.

I would say the surprise is RB's, it was entirely within their control.  As I have said, courtesy by a major employer, at the very least, would be to notify govt.  Perhaps they just copied them in on the notice to customers.   

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The failure isn't government's fault, nobody is saying that.

But the 'surprise' of it to Gov is their own fault.

It was a surprise to many people. Maybe you saw it coming. I don't know. If AC says he was surprised,  uts because he was surprised. Perhaps even quite shocked. 

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I would say the surprise is RB's, it was entirely within their control.  As I have said, courtesy by a major employer, at the very least, would be to notify govt.  Perhaps they just copied them in on the notice to customers.   

Surprising they haven't advised DfE Minister - a local MHK - of their desire to bring an end to their involvement in the business, & the Chamber of Commerce that a commercial opportunity is available in the north of the island

• Like 1

Just now, SleepyJoe said:

Surprising they haven't advised DfE Minister - a local MHK - of their desire to bring an end to their involvement in the business, & the Chamber of Commerce that a commercial opportunity is available in the north of the island

Or even the Ramsey Commissioners as a substantial ratepayer?

5 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Not all commercial operators regard local authorities as worthwhile bodies

No, but you would think they may be interested on what their rate bill might be on empty commercial premises.  Do we have an empty premises rate discount here? 

12 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

None of us are daft government included. The rising costs of everything is going to cause business closures. So it’s up to everyone to shop local, but businesses have to realise it’s hitting everyone hard, so they should be reasonable with their prices, or people will go else where. 

That is true, but when you have limited funds in your purse, which loaf of bread will you choose?  The 59p one, or the RB one at £2?

Even the cheapest RB loaf in Tesco today was a lot more than the cheapest.  Could RB ever compete?  Should they even try, or rely on loyalty and that, IMHO, their product is better (Molenburg)? 

The problem with the artisan bakeries is they don't tend to supply sliced loaves, which is really the staple product for sandwiches and packed lunches. 

TBH, perhaps RB should have concentrated on their quality range, Molenburg and the Harvester Bloomer (a lovely loaf, particularly with soup), and leave the lower end market to the imports. 

• Like 3