Firm closing

finlo

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

bottles of wine at 1/4 the price .

Only if you’re consuming at the Buckfast/Lambrini level of the market.

The advantage of BYO is being able to spend the same and get a much better product.

The UK on trade/restaurant mark up on wine ( on top of duty ) is high by international standards. Normally 100-150% ( not 400% @WTF).

I buy from a wholesaler when in Spain. Have a nice bottle in a restaurant, photo label, send, ask price. Decent Penedes wines & Cava are 1/4 of restaurant prices here. Even after Brexit two of us can bring back 48 bottles still wine and 24 bottles ( mixed ) of Cava and vermut.  That’d be 6 months supply.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Only if you’re consuming at the Buckfast/Lambrini level of the market.

The advantage of BYO is being able to spend the same and get a much better product.

The UK on trade/restaurant mark up on wine ( on top of duty ) is high by international standards. Normally 100-150% ( not 400% @WTF).

I buy from a wholesaler when in Spain. Have a nice bottle in a restaurant, photo label, send, ask price. Decent Penedes wines & Cava are 1/4 of restaurant prices here. Even after Brexit two of us can bring back 48 bottles still wine and 24 bottles ( mixed ) of Cava and vermut.  That’d be 6 months supply.

I am a big fan of byo too. In some places in the world it's the norm. I have no issue with paying a corkage so long as it's reasonable. That way everyone is a winner. I believe that in some places it is mandatory to allow byo. I believe in parts of New Zealand restaurants have to allow it but pubs that serve food do not.

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I am a big fan of byo too. In some places in the world it's the norm. I have no issue with paying a corkage so long as it's reasonable. That way everyone is a winner. I believe that in some places it is mandatory to allow byo. I believe in parts of New Zealand restaurants have to allow it but pubs that serve food do not.

Never seen it in New Zealand in 2 times I’ve been there traveling over both islands extensively.

12 hours ago, Ativa said:

Writing was on the wall when they didn’t renew the licence.

Great food, good service, poor surroundings, abysmal advertising.

It’s a shame but not a surprise.

Just for clarity, not renewing the licence had nothing to do with the current situation

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I didn’t search for it no!! Went to revolving restaurant in Auckland tower & it certainly wasn’t in there!! Didn’t notice it anywhere else either so maybe a recent thing 

Done some research. We both a little bit right and a little bit wrong.

Its never been compulsory. When we were there for a long holiday and staying with friends, some years back, everywhere was byo. Someone told me restaurants had to allow you. It turns out it wasn't true. It was more that if they didn't allow it no one would patronise the restaurant . The situation has changed and more restaurants have started not allowing it. My old mate says that there are still plenty that do although he feels its getting less and less. 

Which places do it here? I can only think of the full moon thai which is mediocre and the taste of bengal which is the wrong side of mediocre sadly. 

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

There is a minority view that BYOB actually stands for Bite Yer Own Bum.

LOL = Lots of Love, as in "sorry to hear about the death of your father, my thoughts are with you LOL"

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Just for clarity, not renewing the licence had nothing to do with the current situation

Well they lost me as a customer, and quite a few others I would imagine.

So if the current situation is related to a downturn is business then I would say it did.

If you are saying the closure is for some other reason, then fair enough and hopefully someone else takes it on.

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

So if the current situation is related to a downturn is business then I would say it did.

If you are saying the closure is for some other reason, then fair enough and hopefully someone else takes it on.

I’m not sure why you would no longer be a customer  by them switching to a BYO model.

It reduces your bill, allows you to take a favorite wine or other drink to enjoy, which may not previously have been on their list.

Corkage is/was a very reasonable £1

There are a couple of supermarket outlets near to the restaurant which are open late with a large selection of drinks.

I can’t see much of a downside. I seriously would be interested to know why you think the BYO is a bad thing. Most, I would imagine, would see it as an incentive to visit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m not sure why you would no longer be a customer  by them switching to a BYO model.

Leonardo’s in Castletown is BYOB. I always think it’s sad to see people get up and trek to the Co-op and come back with wine and beer and then crack a can open before they tuck into main course. But then again I’m sure he’s got absolutely no chance of getting a license based on the rumours I’ve heard. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

I imagine it might be the other way round. Perhaps they were struggling anyway and then couldnt afford to pay the requisite number of qualified staff that is stipulated in their licence conditions.  Maybe a last ditch effort to keep the business going?

I am very sorry for them and it's a great shame.