Firm closing

finlo

BYOB is good for a small bistro or restaurant who don’t want to invest in purchasing alcohol and most now seem to charge corkage which is far better for the consumer to bring the wine of their choice instead of finding a limited wine list and a rather sad house wine if they are watching their spending. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Leonardo’s in Castletown is BYOB. I always think it’s sad to see people get up and trek to the Co-op and come back with wine and beer and then crack a can open before they tuck into main course. But then again I’m sure he’s got absolutely no chance of getting a license based on the rumours I’ve heard. 

Andrea’s in PSM is BYO. Co-op fortunately next door. 
excellent restaurant but I believe is closing shortly. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m not sure why you would no longer be a customer  by them switching to a BYO model.

It reduces your bill, allows you to take a favorite wine or other drink to enjoy, which may not previously have been on their list.

Corkage is/was a very reasonable £1

There are a couple of supermarket outlets near to the restaurant which are open late with a large selection of drinks.

I can’t see much of a downside. I seriously would be interested to know why you think the BYO is a bad thing. Most, I would imagine, would see it as an incentive to visit

If we are in a group we are unlikely to all want to drink the same thing.  Until we sit down we might not know what we want.  It might depend on where we have been before and what we are doing later.

I would probably have a couple of beers and maybe a glass of whine.  Jack daniels with dessert.

I am not carrying all those to a restaurant.  What do I do with them when we head for a drink somewhere afterwards?  Put them in the wife’s handbag?

I want to be able to decide what I want and order it.  If that’s costs a few more quid then so what.

4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I don’t think many people get seated at a table in a restaurant and then disappear to buy booze.    Most people bring it with them, you must eat in some very weird places.

They do in Leonardo's seen it loads of times. Sit down, order meal, and then go to the Co-op before the food arrives. 

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

They do in Leonardo's seen it loads of times. Sit down, order meal, and then go to the Co-op before the food arrives. 

That is what I would do if I ended up in a BYOB place.  Drink depends on what I fancy from the menu to eat.

2 minutes ago, Ativa said:

If we are in a group we are unlikely to all want to drink the same thing.  Until we sit down we might not know what we want.  It might depend on where we have been before and what we are doing later.

I would probably have a couple of beers and maybe a glass of whine.  Jack daniels with dessert.

I am not carrying all those to a restaurant.  What do I do with them when we head for a drink somewhere afterwards?  Put them in the wife’s handbag?

I want to be able to decide what I want and order it.  If that’s costs a few more quid then so what.

There's something not very classy about nipping to the coop for another bottle or rustling your tesco bag under the table, I agree. I would definitely not want byo for a special occasion. But for a cheap night out if we cant be bothered to cook I dont mind.

Some very posh restaurants will allow you to take a bottle of your own even if they are licenced. They will discreetly take the bottle before you sit down and serve it as thought it was their own. Not for nothing though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Seen it too. The owner/staff should advise people it's BYO when they book. Not everyone knows the situation about the lack of a licence, particularly tourists.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ativa said:

OK thanks for the explanation. 

For myself I would drink red wine throughout the meal (and there’s never any left to put in the wife’s handbag.)

Thus I can perhaps treat myself to a more expensive wine from the shop, the price of which I might baulk  at paying for in a restaurant. Say St Emllion, Amarone, Barolo etc. Or maybe champagne if a special occasion.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK thanks for the explanation. 

For myself I would drink red wine throughout the meal (and there’s never any left to put in the wife’s handbag.)

Thus I can perhaps treat myself to a more expensive wine from the shop, the price of which I might baulk  at paying for in a restaurant. Say St Emllion, Amarone, Barolo etc. Or maybe champagne if a special occasion.

Yeah, you see we would be leaving with half a tray of Stella, half a bottle of red, half a bottle of white, nearly a whole bottle of JD, some vodka, some gin and some tequila if we tried to replicate what we would order from a bar 😂

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I dunno. 9 of us, over three nights, polished off 15 bottles.

wrighty, Mrs wrighty, Gladys and La Dolce Vita can put it away at a rate of knots.

3 times 9 is 27, and is a pretty low bar to be honest.

15 is well and truly in lightweight territory 😜

Edited by Ativa
  • Like 2