Firm closing

finlo

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but the restaurant on the ground floor of the Peter Luis' building has closed.

I'm always reluctant to criticise an operating business but this is not too much of a suprise?

They had a Vegan menu, great for me but, perhaps not the most popular choice for many?

The main complaint was the strange operators and an hope that a quirky decor would bring people flooding in?

....but the main main complaint? The level of salt in their food!!! The main items, the cajun fries, my god they would curl your tongue into a water slide for the NSC!!!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but the restaurant on the ground floor of the Peter Luis' building has closed.

I'm always reluctant to criticise an operating business but this is not too much of a suprise?

They had a Vegan menu, great for me but, perhaps not the most popular choice for many?

The main complaint was the strange operators and an hope that a quirky decor would bring people flooding in?

....but the main main complaint? The level of salt in their food!!! The main items, the cajun fries, my god they would curl your tongue into a water slide for the NSC!!!

Came to the end of their lease and were too busy with orders coming in from the UK to cope with both.

You like to jump to conclusions but I've yet to see you get one wild guess correct.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Came to the end of their lease and were too busy with orders coming in from the UK to cope with both.

You like to jump to conclusions but I've yet to see you get one wild guess correct.

Well let's be honest that sounds pretty outlandish when they must have spent tens of thousands decking it out only a year or so ago. It seems they had a break clause but to cut their losses in such a manner must have reflected lower than expected restaurant business and would no doubt have been a disappointment, however it always seemed light on customers. I'd agree with Kopek on the salt front too.

The small one on Ridgeway Street seemed a better menu and presumably much lower rent, so hopefully they survive.

21 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Well let's be honest that sounds pretty outlandish when they must have spent tens of thousands decking it out only a year or so ago. It seems they had a break clause but to cut their losses in such a manner must have reflected lower than expected restaurant business and would no doubt have been a disappointment, however it always seemed light on customers. I'd agree with Kopek on the salt front too.

The small one on Ridgeway Street seemed a better menu and presumably much lower rent, so hopefully they survive.

They're doing fine. They didn't realise how popular they were going to be on the product side of things. 

But I tell you what, you clearly know absolutely zero about the situation, so I'll let you crack on speculating, assuming you're right, when actually you haven't a clue. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jackwhite said:

They're doing fine. They didn't realise how popular they were going to be on the product side of things. 

But I tell you what, you clearly know absolutely zero about the situation, so I'll let you crack on speculating, assuming you're right, when actually you haven't a clue. 

So is the food salty?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, jackwhite said:

I'm glad too hear they are doing well, they clearly put a lot of time and effort in and they seem a quality small business. I liked the food too but only as an occasional visitor.

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

I'm glad too hear they are doing well, they clearly put a lot of time and effort in and they seem a quality small business. I liked the food too but only as an occasional visitor.

I find it baffling when people who don't know anything about the actual inner workings of a business want to speculate on the inner workings of it. 

The one thing they have suffered from is difficulty getting staff. They're not alone as the whole hospitality industry is in the same boat at the moment. To be fair to them, they haven't done what a lot of businesses do, i.e  take anyone and the quality of the product and offering suffers. I don't eat the food there to be honest but I know the guys. So they've scaled this operation back to focus on the money making part. The sensible thing to do.

44 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I find it baffling when people who don't know anything about the actual inner workings of a business want to speculate on the inner workings of it. 

The one thing they have suffered from is difficulty getting staff. They're not alone as the whole hospitality industry is in the same boat at the moment. To be fair to them, they haven't done what a lot of businesses do, i.e  take anyone and the quality of the product and offering suffers. I don't eat the food there to be honest but I know the guys. So they've scaled this operation back to focus on the money making part. The sensible thing to do.

I don't think it's hard to speculate when a large premises is substantially renovated (they were going at the renovations alone for months) and ditched a year later

37 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

I don't think it's hard to speculate when a large premises is substantially renovated (they were going at the renovations alone for months) and ditched a year later

Well, again, if you'd known, you'd understand it wasn't specifically Junkbox who were renovating the building. There is/was someone else involved behind the scenes and their plans didn't get off the ground. 

So, like many people on the Isle of Man, you've put managed to get 5 from adding 2 and 2. 

• Haha 1