Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'm amazed that it's still open. There's never anyone in it whenever I walk past. 

Was in Ramsey today & there doesn’t appear to be anyone in anything, like walking through a ghost town! The only place remotely busy was Costa in Main Street where we stopped for a coffee & the other cafe next door had a few in as well.

45 minutes ago, Banker said:

Was in Ramsey today & there doesn’t appear to be anyone in anything, like walking through a ghost town! The only place remotely busy was Costa in Main Street where we stopped for a coffee & the other cafe next door had a few in as well.

Peel was the same today too. Like a ghost town walking down from the town hall and nobody in the Creek really till 1 pm ish. Then walk back through town and again nobody really. Road works down on the harbour doesn’t help. Apparently not going to be finished for TT so making it safe and coming back to it…Seems ages they have been at it. 

Edited by Numbnuts

10 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Peel was the same today too. Like a ghost town walking down from the town hall and nobody in the Creek really till 1 pm ish. Then walk back through town and again nobody really. Road works down on the harbour dont help. Apparently not going to be finished for TT so making it safe and coming back to it…Seems ages they have been at it. 

Weren’t these places full of cruise ship visitors?

8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Peel was the same today too. Like a ghost town walking down from the town hall and nobody in the Creek really till 1 pm ish. Then walk back through town and again nobody really. Road works down on the harbour dont help. Apparently not going to be finished for TT so making it safe and coming back to it…Seems ages they have been at it. 

The businesses around Quay are asking for compensation as so badly hit , not sure what reason for Ramsey being so dead but suppose it’s just old folks during week as everybody works in Douglas etc

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'm amazed that it's still open. There's never anyone in it whenever I walk past. 

Apparently brewery leasing it to someone who knows how to run pubs, Rumours has it linked to Jaks group

Brewery are going to concentrate on what they do best which is

answers on a post card as they don’t even know what they good at 😂😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'm amazed it's still open because it's so crap. It's gotta be the most charmless pub on the island. Bar none. The brewery gave up on it years ago. It gets a bit of Friday night/ Saturday night trade + a few alchis during the week and that's about it. 

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

The businesses around Quay are asking for compensation as so badly hit , not sure what reason for Ramsey being so dead but suppose it’s just old folks during week as everybody works in Douglas etc

Probably right about Ramsey and bus back to Douglas was pretty full but all bar two looked like pensioners. As was I of course .

3 hours ago, finlo said:

Royal George is next for the chop allegedly, so that new Zebra crossing is a monumental waste of time, effort and money!

I heard that today too, reportedly closing after TT week.

We are just back from the annual Porsche jaunt, with 87 guests and 50 cars staying in Ramsey. About sixty grand pumped into the economy altogether. Lots of very happy visitors.

We walked into town about 6pm last night to pick up a sandwich as we'd had enough of eating! The place felt like someone else had mentioned - one of those places where everyone is told to get off the streets

The bombsites still remain, but it was good to see Conrods old place refreshed and about to open. 

We ate out in town twice. Good Stuff needs prosecuting under the Trades Descriptions Act, Velikas was as.good as ever. Fynoderee did us proud. Ramsey Park also did a great job.

Back in Lytham tonight it's a very different feel. Not perfect but it feels alive and prosperous. As we sailed away I reflected on our visit. The Island feels like it is lacking bold ambition right now. Service can be quite lacking, and it is only the very brave or well-backed who are opening new ventures.

There's so much potential.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I'm amazed it's still open because it's so crap. It's gotta be the most charmless pub on the island. Bar none. The brewery gave up on it years ago. It gets a bit of Friday night/ Saturday night trade + a few alchis during the week and that's about it. 

The Royal has had numerous makeovers during the years since 1987 but its clientele has been steadily on the decrease in the last ten years. The landlady from the Stanley who had made a real go of the place was transferred to the Royal when the Stanley closed a couple of years ago and initially took a lot of her clientele with her as it was to be the brewery's leading town nightspot following the second closure of "Nightlife" but that seems to have withered and died. Maybe it's something to do with the brewery's flagship pricing policy as well.

Weekend early evening buses departing Ramsey for Peel and Douglas are usually well-used these days...

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

44 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

We are just back from the annual Porsche jaunt, with 87 guests and 50 cars staying in Ramsey. About sixty grand pumped into the economy altogether. Lots of very happy visitors.

We walked into town about 6pm last night to pick up a sandwich as we'd had enough of eating! The place felt like someone else had mentioned - one of those places where everyone is told to get off the streets

If you can afford a Porsche presumably you can afford dinner or room service at wherever you’re staying. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Happier diner said:

On the subjects alter ego. There is a firm opening. The great house on South Quay Douglas. Where the ridiculous Epernay was. Anyone been. Chinese. 

Not been but saw it was now Chinese & very reasonably priced, looks like just soft drinks & no mention of BYO

Also the new steakhouse place at Villa looks like it’s going to be open for tt, not sure where they’re getting staff from as everyone is short staffed, £13ph for McDonald’s staff now 

Edited by Banker

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Peel was the same today too. Like a ghost town walking down from the town hall and nobody in the Creek really till 1 pm ish. Then walk back through town and again nobody really. Road works down on the harbour doesn’t help. Apparently not going to be finished for TT so making it safe and coming back to it…Seems ages they have been at it. 

You are correct. I often  go to the Marine Hotel and there were only two tables occupied for lunch on Saturday at around 12 PM 

Normally the place is full especially at weekends. 

There were a few more tables occupied by the time we left but very few customers than usual 

Same at the harbour lights. Used to be difficult to get a table if you walked in but only 2 tables occupied at 1 PM on a Saturday..