Firm closing

finlo

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The Royal has had numerous makeovers during the years since 1987 but its clientele has been steadily on the decrease in the last ten years. The landlady from the Stanley who had made a real go of the place was transferred to the Royal when the Stanley closed a couple of years ago and initially took a lot of her clientele with her as it was to be the brewery's leading town nightspot following the second closure of "Nightlife" but that seems to have withered and died. Maybe it's something to do with the brewery's flagship pricing policy as well.

Weekend early evening buses departing Ramsey for Peel and Douglas are usually well-used these days...

I think the re-opening of bar logo may have done for it. Used to be hammered on a Friday and Saturday night with the youngsters finishing there but they all go to bar logo now I think.
Plough shut at 7 last night as the darts team was elsewhere, can imagine it won’t be too long before they’re only open 4 days a week. 
Don’t think it’s just a Ramsey problem though, hopefully a lot of places have a good TT and can keep going for a while yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Not been but saw it was now Chinese & very reasonably priced, looks like just soft drinks & no mention of BYO

Also the new steakhouse place at Villa looks like it’s going to be open for tt, not sure where they’re getting staff from as everyone is short staffed, £13ph for McDonald’s staff now 

Def BYO. No corkage.

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

You are correct. I often  go to the Marine Hotel and there were only two tables occupied for lunch on Saturday at around 12 PM 

Normally the place is full especially at weekends. 

There were a few more tables occupied by the time we left but very few customers than usual 

Same at the harbour lights. Used to be difficult to get a table if you walked in but only 2 tables occupied at 1 PM on a Saturday..

It’s only ten metres max from the Marine to the Harbour Lights. Did you travel on the back of a snail? 😀

12 hours ago, Happier diner said:

few alchis during the week and that's about it. 

They must be proper hardcore to break in when it’s closed and help themselves! Hasn’t been open other than weekends for months.

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

We are just back from the annual Porsche jaunt, with 87 guests and 50 cars staying in Ramsey. About sixty grand pumped into the economy altogether. Lots of very happy visitors.

We walked into town about 6pm last night to pick up a sandwich as we'd had enough of eating! The place felt like someone else had mentioned - one of those places where everyone is told to get off the streets

The bombsites still remain, but it was good to see Conrods old place refreshed and about to open. 

We ate out in town twice. Good Stuff needs prosecuting under the Trades Descriptions Act, Velikas was as.good as ever. Fynoderee did us proud. Ramsey Park also did a great job.

Back in Lytham tonight it's a very different feel. Not perfect but it feels alive and prosperous. As we sailed away I reflected on our visit. The Island feels like it is lacking bold ambition right now. Service can be quite lacking, and it is only the very brave or well-backed who are opening new ventures.

There's so much potential.

It's Ramsey.  Honestly, what were you expecting? 

As soon as I pass the 'Welcome to Ramsey' sign, I can feel all hope and happiness slowly seeping from me. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, manxchester said:

I think the re-opening of bar logo may have done for it. Used to be hammered on a Friday and Saturday night with the youngsters finishing there but they all go to bar logo now I think.

I was in Bar Logo later on Saturday night and it didn't seem particularly busy tbh, I think a lot of people are either staying in and drinking at home/having friends round or are leaving town for nights in Peel or Douglas. Disposable income may also be a factor too of course, folks are feeling the squeeze these days...It's certainly a big change from nights in Ramsey even 5 - 10 years ago.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I was in Bar Logo later on Saturday night and it didn't seem particularly busy tbh, I think a lot of people are either staying in and drinking at home/having friends round or are leaving town for nights in Peel or Douglas. Disposable income may also be a factor too of course, folks are feeling the squeeze these days...It's certainly a big change from nights in Ramsey even 5 - 10 years ago.

I noticed every year things go very quiet in the pubs etc. just before TT, as most revellers want to enjoy the atmosphere of the TT and what it brings to the IOM regards entertainment. When the TT is over its back to the drab old IOM for most and the money is all spent over the fortnight.

13 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Good Stuff needs prosecuting under the Trades Descriptions Act

What was the issue?

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Not been but saw it was now Chinese & very reasonably priced, looks like just soft drinks & no mention of BYO

Also the new steakhouse place at Villa looks like it’s going to be open for tt, not sure where they’re getting staff from as everyone is short staffed, £13ph for McDonald’s staff now 

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Def BYO. No corkage.

It's owned and run by the same people who have Timeout and the previous bubble tea place. They've moved the bubble tea place into the same premises as Timeout wisely.

I hate to be down on new places but I would give it a miss until it settles down.

Positives 

Food is decent.

Very reasonably priced.

Premises is nice and a good setting.

Massive negative

Service. It's poor even at Timeout (which is supposed to be quick and simple food) but when I was there, and from other reports, it's awful.

Don't answer the 'phone when you call up to try and make a reservation.

Long wait for orders to be taken, drinks to come and a general malaise around the place. Starters coming out with main courses, one person had both of their dishes before the other even had a starter!

Waitress seemed more intent on talking to her friends than serving customers and the owners, who were both there, seemed to be busting their asses in the kitchen. 

To be fair, they aren't experienced in running a restaurant and I still think they'll get by, as they have a following amongst their community. 

When we were in it was a quiet night. If the service is the same now I can only imagine the carnage on a weekend night.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

We are just back from the annual Porsche jaunt, with 87 guests and 50 cars staying in Ramsey. About sixty grand pumped into the economy altogether. Lots of very happy visitors.

We walked into town about 6pm last night to pick up a sandwich as we'd had enough of eating! The place felt like someone else had mentioned - one of those places where everyone is told to get off the streets

The bombsites still remain, but it was good to see Conrods old place refreshed and about to open. 

We ate out in town twice. Good Stuff needs prosecuting under the Trades Descriptions Act, Velikas was as.good as ever. Fynoderee did us proud. Ramsey Park also did a great job.

Back in Lytham tonight it's a very different feel. Not perfect but it feels alive and prosperous. As we sailed away I reflected on our visit. The Island feels like it is lacking bold ambition right now. Service can be quite lacking, and it is only the very brave or well-backed who are opening new ventures.

There's so much potential.

I see the Google Street View was updated in October 2022 - just been for a 'drive' down the Lytham main street - I see what you mean. Big, big difference.

My local town is Falmouth, same size as Douglas and that's all they have in common.

Edited by GD4ELI

4 hours ago, Roxanne said:

It’s only ten metres max from the Marine to the Harbour Lights. Did you travel on the back of a snail? 😀

I ate in both places..Lunch at the marine and then pudding at the harbour lights 😋

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

What was the issue?

It's owned and run by the same people who have Timeout and the previous bubble tea place. They've moved the bubble tea place into the same premises as Timeout wisely.

I hate to be down on new places but I would give it a miss until it settles down.

Positives 

Food is decent.

Very reasonably priced.

Premises is nice and a good setting.

Massive negative

Service. It's poor even at Timeout (which is supposed to be quick and simple food) but when I was there, and from other reports, it's awful.

Don't answer the 'phone when you call up to try and make a reservation.

Long wait for orders to be taken, drinks to come and a general malaise around the place. Starters coming out with main courses, one person had both of their dishes before the other even had a starter!

Waitress seemed more intent on talking to her friends than serving customers and the owners, who were both there, seemed to be busting their asses in the kitchen. 

To be fair, they aren't experienced in running a restaurant and I still think they'll get by, as they have a following amongst their community. 

When we were in it was a quiet night. If the service is the same now I can only imagine the carnage on a weekend night.

In authentic Chinese restaurants  the food usually comes as soon as its cooked.. So the concept of everything  arriving  at the same time for everyone is not that common. Some people may get served first.. 

Have seen this happen on my many visits w to Chinatown restaurants.  I though it was some mistake in the beginning  but my Chinese friends explained how it works.

Long wait for orders/ talking on the phone/ friends is not great and that's poor service and no excuse.for that  .

Haven't been to the new place but time out  has always been fine for a quick lunch. 

I often take the only chicken option ( can pay extra and get only chicken and no noodles / rice ) . The salt and pepper chicken  is very nice 😋 

Edited by mad_manx