Firm closing

finlo

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

I see the Google Street View was updated in October 2022 - just been for a 'drive' down the Lytham main street - I see what you mean. Big, big difference.

My local town is Falmouth, same size as Douglas and that's all they have in common.

It may be the same size as Douglas but it has a much wider population to call on, same as any English town. Theres undoubtedly a lot the Isle of Man could do better but to compare them to English towns is pretty disingenuous. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, manxchester said:

It may be the same size as Douglas but it has a much wider population to call on, same as any English town. Theres undoubtedly a lot the Isle of Man could do better but to compare them to English towns is pretty disingenuous. 

Douglas is the capital for ~85,000 - if anything Falmouth has a smaller catchment as there are many other towns nearby, just look at the map.

Poor excuse IMO.

Maps of Cornwall

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

In authentic Chinese restaurants  the food usually comes as soon as its cooked.. So the concept of everything  arriving  at the same time for everyone is not that common. Some people may get served first.. 

Have seen this happen on my many visits w to Chinatown restaurants.  I though it was some mistake in the beginning  but my Chinese friends explained how it works.

Long wait for orders/ talking on the phone/ friends is not great and that's poor service and no excuse.for that  .

Haven't been to the new place but time out  has always been fine for a quick lunch. 

I often take the only chicken option ( can pay extra and get only chicken and no noodles / rice ) . The salt and pepper chicken  is very nice 😋 

Each to their own mate but when some of your party don't have anything to eat and others have finished, it seems a bit unorganised to me. They're also not Chinese, but that's splitting hairs.

I've been in Timeout on a couple of occasions and waited around 25/30 minutes for a takeaway. Again due to lack of organisation.

I know of a couple of who went as well and he'd been served and had to finish all of his food before his partner had received anything. I think he shared with her as they're still together 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

I see the Google Street View was updated in October 2022 - just been for a 'drive' down the Lytham main street - I see what you mean. Big, big difference.

My local town is Falmouth, same size as Douglas and that's all they have in common.

At least Douglas doesn't have you.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Douglas is the capital for ~85,000 - if anything Falmouth has a smaller catchment as there are many other towns nearby, just look at the map.

Poor excuse IMO.

Maps of Cornwall

Yeah, I'm sure Douglas can compete with the number of tourists Falmouth gets..

Falmouth is noted as one of the key resorts in the UK’s number one tourist destination, with Cornwall attracting an average of 4 million visitors a year!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

I don't think Falmouth is any better than Douglas. I spend a lot of time there. Its not that good. I quite like it but I wouldn't rave about it.  A few decent eateries and a small shopping area. That's something they both have in common. I reckon Falmouth is more expensive THB. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I don't think Falmouth is any better than Douglas. I spend a lot of time there. Its not that good. I quite like it but I wouldn't rave about it.  A few decent eateries and a small shopping area. That's something they both have in common. I reckon Falmouth is more expensive THB. 

Falmouth could be more expensive - most probably is. Maybe the university campus helps, I don't know but it just doesn't have the run-down feeling one gets in the centre of Douglas.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Falmouth could be more expensive - most probably is. Maybe the university campus helps, I don't know but it just doesn't have the run-down feeling one gets in the centre of Douglas.

I'd agree with that. It's a bit more upmarket generally. We have things like the newsoms disaster and also as I was on the south Quay last night i note we have an overnight collection of parked vans. Some of them hideous. This is despite them being in direct view of the DOI offices and signs all over saying cars only. 

I'm not sure of the cars only is enforceable or not. If it is, its not, if you know what i mean.

Must be something happening in Peel on Saturday as Marine not taking bookings for Saturday night . Pity as you get  a great feed and its always pretty good. Great pub food . So Just Pizza gets my business again . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1