Firm closing

finlo

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

I see BottleMonkey craft brewery at Castletown old fire station is no more. Company dissolved, lease terminated.

Commissioners choice. 

They were willing to go back in but commissioners opposed it. 

New brewery plans are ambitious. 7 days a week tap room off the beaten path in port Erin. 

Doing craft beer. Not sure where the market is for that wholesale and retail it’s a difficult sell to them. 

Generally tends to be higher abv so high alcohol duty. Many good craft breweries in U.K. have gone under. With additional transport costs and smaller population I just don’t see it. 

Best of luck to them but if it were dragons den “I’m out”.

3 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Best of luck to them but if it were dragons den “I’m out”.

Bushys have plans in for a tap room on the other side of Castletown. You know where the money will be. Likely why the commissioners didn’t renew the lease as the new owner of Bushys owns half of Castletown.

It may be tough for all of the island's breweries right now. H&B will likely feel the impact of losing their music license at the track sides this year. The new brewery in Port Erin seems quite ambitious. However, with five other operational breweries on the island, I doubt if there's space for a sixth. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, madmanx90 said:

It may be tough for all of the island's breweries right now. H&B will likely feel the impact of losing their music license at the track sides this year. The new brewery in Port Erin seems quite ambitious. However, with five other operational breweries on the island, I doubt if there's space for a sixth. 

I would agree I only brew once per week and Kaneens told me they are once per month

Edited by alpha-acid
spelling

1 hour ago, alpha-acid said:

I would agree I only brew once per week and Kaneens told me they are once per month

They've also stated they will be brewing types of beer not generally made on the Isle of Man, so I would imagine New England IPA and the types you'd normally associate with craft beer.

So how many bars here are buying that? I think the answer is not many. 

Brewery won't touch it. Can't see the likes of the Rovers buying it, or selling it even if they did. Pigeon, Blind Pig etc I don't see being interested. 

As you'll know yourself, current duty rates are a killer on higher strength beers, which generally craft beer is too. So do you survive with your tap room only? Well off the beaten track down in Port Erin, as much as I like craft beer, I couldn't see me going regularly to that either. 

It's certainly ambitious.

12 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Bushys have plans in for a tap room on the other side of Castletown. You know where the money will be. Likely why the commissioners didn’t renew the lease as the new owner of Bushys owns half of Castletown.

Not like you to be cynical 🤣

Whilst I appreciate what you say it was nothing to do with that. 

I know the ins and outs of it and there's a lot more to it than that. 

• Like 1