Firm closing

finlo

18 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The fact remains if you were going to back a tap room you’d be backing Bushys. 

It wasn't a binary choice.

Bushys application was already way down the line before this happened with BM. 

They're also not exactly the same thing. 

BM were, until just prior to closure, certainly supplying a choice of craft beers not on the Isle of Man along with their own hard seltzer. They had events such as live music, open mic nights and Bob Ross painting nights, all of which were popular. They were also to be a community brewery, although that side of things hadn't really got going yet. 

Bushys, if they get everything through as they are also having issues of their own, will be only serving their own beer which is brewed on site. There may be some crossover with music. 

As I've alluded to already, BM ran into issues which led to, what appears to be, a loss of confidence from the Councillors. It's not as if Bushys will now get that site as it's not big enough for them. 

If you're now moving onto 'well if it were Bushys or BM, it would be Bushys', then whilst I'd agree with you, it's not actually the point you made. 

30 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

If you're now moving onto 'well if it were Bushys or BM, it would be Bushys', then whilst I'd agree with you, it's not actually the point you made. 

That’s basically exactly what I said in my first post. I’m not changing what I’m saying at all. And whether they’re the exact same product offering or not there’s only a finite amount of trade in Castletown. Certainly not enough for two slightly different tap rooms at different ends of the town. Bushys has already committed to buy its premises off C’town commissioners for £625K too so they wouldn’t need those premises - but incidentally funny the commissioners lease to a competitor was pulled. 

Edited by offshoremanxman

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

That’s basically exactly what I said in my first post. I’m not changing what I’m saying at all. And whether they’re the exact same product offering or not there’s only a finite amount of trade in Castletown. Certainly not enough for two slightly different tap rooms at different ends of the town. Bushys has already bought its premises off C’town commissioners for £675K too so they wouldn’t need those premises - but incidentally funny the commissioners lease to a competitor was pulled. 

No what you actually said was

Likely why the commissioners didn’t renew the lease as the new owner of Bushys owns half of Castletown.

9 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

And whether they’re the exact same product offering or not there’s only a finite amount of trade in Castletown. Certainly not enough for two slightly different tap rooms at different ends of the town. Bushys has already bought its premises off C’town commissioners for £675K too so they wouldn’t need those premises - but incidentally funny the commissioners lease to a competitor was pulled. 

You're right, there is only a finite amount of people in Castletown. But both of these will pull from outside of Castletown. BM already did, particularly with their events. 

Now you've gone full circle and just assumed you're right even though you're being told people know differently. There's really nothing else to say to that if you're going to insist you're right regardless you know zero facts.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

No what you actually said was

Likely why the commissioners didn’t renew the lease as the new owner of Bushys owns half of Castletown.

You’re funny. No what I actually said was:

“Bushys have plans in for a tap room on the other side of Castletown. You know where the money will be. Likely why the commissioners didn’t renew the lease as the new owner of Bushys owns half of Castletown”

In exactly that order. The main point I was making was that if you were going to back anyone you’d be backing Bushy’s as they’re a big successful brand but as a secondary point Bushy’s owner will be paying C’town Commissioners £625K to buy the warehouse that will be the new Bushy’s taproom and brewery.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/commissioners-site-could-be-sold-to-bushys-591309

C’town Commissioners then dumped the lease on the fire station. People can make their own minds up about that. Looks a bit suspect really after they’ve agreed a £625K pay day out of a competitor doesn’t it? 

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

You’re funny. No what I actually said was:

“Bushys have plans in for a tap room on the other side of Castletown. You know where the money will be. Likely why the commissioners didn’t renew the lease as the new owner of Bushys owns half of Castletown”

In exactly that order. The main point I was making was that if you were going to back anyone you’d be backing Bushy’s but as a secondary point Bushy’s owner will be paying C’town Commissioners £625K to buy the warehouse that will be the new Bushy’s taproom and brewery.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/commissioners-site-could-be-sold-to-bushys-591309

C’town Commissioners then dumped the lease on the fire station. People can make their own minds up about that. Looks a bit suspect really after they’ve agreed a £625K pay day out of a competitor doesn’t it? 

I've already said it wasn't a binary choice but you crack on being a boring clown even though you know nothing about the situation. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I've already said it wasn't a binary choice but you crack on being a boring clown even though you know nothing about the situation. 

FFS an irrationally angry brewer. I wonder who that is. So in relation to my second point you don’t think there is any chance at all that a future £625K cash windfall to the C’town ratepayers from Bushys couldn’t possibly have been a factor in the town hall then pulling the lease on a competitor?

10 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

FFS an irrationally angry brewer. I wonder who that is. So in relation to my second point you don’t think there is any chance at all that a future £625K cash windfall to the C’town ratepayers from Bushys couldn’t possibly have been a factor in the town hall then pulling the lease on a competitor?

No I don't because I know what actually happened. 

It's complicated. I know what happened with BM but I won't be sharing the specific details for obvious reasons.

Bushys had their application in a long time ago and bought the building even sooner again. They've had these plans on the cards for a long time, possibly before BM even opened. 

• Like 1

It's a matter of public record that Bottle monkeys company was dissolved, by the treasury. By his own admission on Facebook, this meant that they lost the lease, the alcohol licence and the music licence. Facebook commentators seem to be unaware of this, or unwilling to see what is infront of their nose

Link to dissolved company reg.

While there are lots of conspiracy theories flying around the reality is that if Bottle Monkey man has been on top of his basic business admin he would still be there. 

Ultimately he didn't deliver what he said he was going to deliver which was a brewery. There is already a bar / music venue (Secret Pizza) and community hall within 50ft at the Civic Centre. If there was a microbrewery operating, knowing some of the heads involved, id wager that they would have been given another chance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Edits still show. Deletions don’t. But you can delete a post and re post it altered so that an edit doesn’t show if you’re quick enough.

VoR’s original accusation was that I’d edited my post and edited his post which had quoted my post.

I certainly can’t edit someone else’s post. I didn’t edit or change my post.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They didn’t deliver. Then again the only thing missing from this announcement is “But don’t worry if you’re a tap room fan as we’re just about to get a massive load of wedge off another brewer to set up instead”

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/castletown-taprooms-lease-terminated-614846

Don't want to start an argument but tbf someone who's into craft beer might not necessarily go to Bushys tap room. 

The beer will be similar to what's sold in The Rovers. Whilst I'm not adverse to the odd pint there I can rarely find anything I want to drink more than one of. Even then most of them would be traditional cask ales which, again, I don't mind the odd pint of, but wouldn't want to drink much.

I think it's a sad situation all round as I genuinely believe having both down there would greatly have benefited the town. Not only these establishments but other hospitality places in the area, particularly those providing food.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Don't want to start an argument but tbf someone who's into craft beer might not necessarily go to Bushys tap room. 

I wondered who would reply. Its basic economics though isn’t it. If there was a demand for their product they’d still be trading. But they aren’t and the new owner of Bushy’s (who already owns half of Castletown) has already chucked £625K at the commissioners to buy their lawnmower store off them for a brewery. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They didn’t deliver. Then again the only thing missing from this announcement is “But don’t worry if you’re a tap room fan as we’re just about to get a massive load of wedge off another brewer to set up instead”

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/castletown-taprooms-lease-terminated-614846

The lease would have been automatically terminated when the company was dissolved.  You can't have a legal agreement with something that doesn't exist and it wasn't liquidated so there are no receivers.  The guy behind it doesn't seem to setting up anything else at the moment, so the Commissioners couldn't even transfer to someone else.

The other taproom will be some way down the line as well I think.  The application to allow to sell only went in in January and that is conditional on planning, which doesn't even seems to have been applied for yet - I can see nothing on the map:

image.png.418dbc3dbc655d6f1172045c5e46abf4.png

Which only shows an application for a shed extension in 2000.

Edited to add: You could see from the map that there might be objections as well, given there's more residential property around there than you might think just from looking at the site from the main road.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The other taproom will be some way down the line as well I think.  The application to allow to sell only went in in January and that is conditional on planning, which doesn't even seems to have been applied for yet - I can see nothing on the map:

image.png.418dbc3dbc655d6f1172045c5e46abf4.png

Which only shows an application for a shed extension in 2000.

Edited to add: You could see from the map that there might be objections as well, given there's more residential property around there than you might think just from looking at the site from the main road.

It’s a very good deal for the commissioners if it goes ahead. Basically I think they only keep a load of defunct equipment in there currently so £625K is a good price for an overgrown shed. The commissioners clearly have an interest in it being successful as they’re skint and put the rates up about 14% last year so £625K will come in handy no doubt. Parking is bad round there which will be an issue but as I said the new owner of Bushy’s is just adding to his existing Castletown hospitality and holiday let portfolio so it will likely happen.