Firm closing

finlo

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Had a look at prices & decided it was far too expensive so didn’t go wasn’t he blaming quay work for loss of business 

it can't have helped , there was something in the paper recently,   the guy at the chinese was complaining about it too when i picked up a take out a few weeks back.  those works over ran on time but there is always money for overtime when getting ready for TT week comes into it, 

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

Yes he blamed the works on The Quay, which he knew were coming when he opened.

The Boatyard just up the road is busy whenever we walk past and we always have to book at a weekend.

Chris Franklin place always looks empty.  We actually nearly went the other week but last time you can book a table is 19:45 and we wanted later than that.

yes,   but they came and stayed longer than expected and he needed to build a customer base like the boatyard has , opening up at the end of last season/start of winter can't have helped, maybe should have waited till just before the start of this season ( roadworks aside ) , and then of course leccy and gas went up a bunch too which has also been a factor in a few  established places going.   we used to go to filbys quite regular, great views from upstairs, we have been to franklins a few times , i'm sorry it's gone, the sunday lunch was very good,  i guess its back to jaks again for sunday lunch  ................. 

I am afraid this is only the start of business's struggling in Peel  the work on the Quay and the massive pavement  has  virtually wiped out  the parking ,  its so narrow the next move will be to make it one way ,  there is little room for visiting coaches to drop off or park ,  and when people drive into Peel  via the Quay  and along the promenade  and there is no parking  so they drive on  ,then the  retailers will suffer , the parking situation in Peel is almost as bad as in Douglas  ,which is a great shame as it has a fantastic beach and excellent facilities for children ,this is what happens when the DOI comes in with over the top  highway schemes ,without looking at the damage to the local economy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For its size, Peel has so many eateries. 

I went yesterday lunch time, taking my aunt, who is back from NZ for the summer.

I think it’s more suited for day trip seaside and cafe/pub grub than evening fine dining.

We had a cuppa at the Breakwater Cafe, flash fried queenies with bacon and chorizo, crab & prawn bap and kipper bap,  at the seafood food truck at Spit Corner - with homemade lemonade, bought pickled cockles, mussels and queenies to bring home. Then up to Darren Nicholson’s Moore’s Smokehouse/Grill Pit to buy kippers.

The queue at the Breakwater was 10 deep when we arrived. All the tables at Darren’s were full.

Across the beach we could see the promenade kiosk. Queues there as well.

We could do with places like these on the prom, in the sunken gardens etc, in Douglas.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I am afraid this is only the start of business's struggling in Peel  the work on the Quay and the massive pavement  has  virtually wiped out  the parking ,  its so narrow the next move will be to make it one way ,  there is little room for visiting coaches to drop off or park ,  and when people drive into Peel  via the Quay  and along the promenade  and there is no parking  so they drive on  ,then the  retailers will suffer , the parking situation in Peel is almost as bad as in Douglas  ,which is a great shame as it has a fantastic beach and excellent facilities for children ,this is what happens when the DOI comes in with over the top  highway schemes ,without looking at the damage to the local economy 

Probably lends itself to a one way loop anyway doesnt it?

Shame to see them go out of business so soon

3 hours ago, Omobono said:

Plenty of car parking at end of promenade & by creg Malin with designated coach parking which is where they park on day trips, everywhere is busy when ever I’ve been & only one closing is franklins, the bowling green cafe is always packed & booking is essential , the Marine, boatyard & all the ones mentioned above by John

3 hours ago, Omobono said:

I have never had a problem parking in Peel.  Even if there is an event on they open up headland for parking.

There is a carpark by the Bra shop and public toilets.  Another at the end of the prom.  Another by the Cathedral.  The other side of the harbour is free for as long as you want.  There is parking at Fenalla beach and on the pier.

The bus goes right along the quayside and past the Creek.  

Lazy people love a parking Moan but it’s absolutely not an issue in Peel

Edited by Ativa
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

Plenty of car parking at end of promenade & by creg Malin with designated coach parking which is where they park on day trips, everywhere is busy when ever I’ve been & only one closing is franklins, the bowling green cafe is always packed & booking is essential , the Marine, boatyard & all the ones mentioned above by John

And in the evening you can use the House of Manannan Car Park ( close to the Creek, Franklins, Boatyard, BlackDog Pizza, Chinese and Chippy ) or even Fenella and use the footbridge.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ativa said:

The bus goes right along the quayside and past the Creek

Not recently.

I decided to roll from the fish bar to Moore’s. No way I could get through as a pedestrian on wheels.

Went over the foot swing bridge, up West Quay and over the bridge, where the dropped kerb was obstructed by wagons waiting with hardcore and tarmac

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Not recently.

I decided to roll from the fish bar to Moore’s. No way I could get through as a pedestrian on wheels.

Went over the foot swing bridge, up West Quay and over the bridge, where the dropped kerb was obstructed by wagons waiting with hardcore and tarmac

Fair enough.  Not while the road is dug up but I assume again from this week.

3 hours ago, Ativa said:

I have never had a problem parking in Peel.  Even if there is an event on they open up headland for parking.

There is a carpark by the Bra shop and public toilets.  Another at the end of the prom.  Another by the Cathedral.  The other side of the harbour is free for as long as you want.  There is parking at Fenalla beach and on the pier.

The bus goes right along the quayside and past the Creek.  

Lazy people love a parking Moan but it’s absolutely not an issue in Peel

I agree. No parking problem in peel. It does have a visitor problem though. Not enough of them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ativa said:

Fair enough.  Not while the road is dug up but I assume again from this week.

Open now. Still some temporary barriers up and cars already parking on the double yellows on the harbour side.

HOWEVER

Peel  - Harbour Boat Park  - additional public parking

DOI Harbours Division has cleared part of the boat park to provide additional car parking on East Quay. This facility is available from today (Saturday 27 May) for the summer season.

The area released for car  parking provides an additional 20 or so parking spaces. It is accessed via the House of Mannanan car park via either Mill Road or Station Quay and is available to anyone visiting the facilities or businesses in the area of  Peel harbour.

Peel Online
Manx National Heritage

• Like 1