Firm closing

finlo

21 minutes ago, Ativa said:

The place was too expensive with very poor opening times.  Shit happens 

I think that’s unfair.

Opening a restaurant is risky and expensive. Between 40-50% of non chain catering establishments fail before end of year 1.

Those premises have a chequered history. I think he was the 6th reincarnation since Paramore’s operated it.

The prices weren’t outrageous for the quality.

However, for whatever reason, it didn’t capture the imagination.

Im always surprised that we don’t have one or two high end places, doing multi course taster menus, courses with paired flights of wine. 

My next trip away is Catalunya. I’ve booked several places, from €12.50 3 courses including 500ml water and a glass of house red or white, to €85 12 tapas sized courses with drinks extra. There’s space for either concept here, I think.

I find Manx dining times ( and most of UK ) bizarre. I’m used to going out at 14.00 or 21.00.

He chose the wrong time and place to invest his time and money. That’s always sad. 

But I hope he tries again, and that someone takes over the restaurant ( although it’s a soulless place, always has been )

• Like 2

A friend and I went out on the quay a couple of weeks ago.  We met up in the Brit and went along the quay, at nearly 3 we thought we would have something to eat, but all the usual eateries were closing their kitchens.  We ended up in the Bridge who were still serving and had a really good quality and reasonably priced pub meal. 

It was a lovely Saturday afternoon, and it was surprising that so many restaurants weren't taking advantage of the number of people about. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

A friend and I went out on the quay a couple of weeks ago.  We met up in the Brit and went along the quay, at nearly 3 we thought we would have something to eat, but all the usual eateries were closing their kitchens.  We ended up in the Bridge who were still serving and had a really good quality and reasonably priced pub meal. 

It was a lovely Saturday afternoon, and it was surprising that so many restaurants weren't taking advantage of the number of people about. 

Barbary coast is open all day possibility the only one 

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

Barbary coast is open all day possibility the only one 

We headed in the other direction.  Have to say, was impressed by the Bridge.  It was really an example to echo John's point about opening times, especially on a lovely day in what is supposed to be a focal point of Douglas hospitality. 

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, finlo said:

Express fixings have announced their closure next month.

That’s sad news as Brett is a really decent guy. When he first started out used him a lot and bought so much from him. Always great attentive service. Hope someone grabs him as he would be such an asset to so many businesses .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Express fixings have announced their closure next month.

That is a bad, very bad news story for the island.

That business supply's the islands construction industry and if it cant survive (with a pretty much monopoly business)  what hope the others that do the same?

What hope of 100,000 residents?

ETA. Yes Brett is a really decent guy. I did a lot of business with him in the 90's when it was IF&F

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

That is a shame.  I also used to use them a lot but now use Screwfix for nearly everything for no other reason than they have an app and I can see if stuff is in stock and click and collect.  Even if it’s just a packet of washers for £1.50.

Convenience wins unfortunately, even if it costs a bit more the time saved in wasted trips or having to look for things and queue up is worth more to me.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Confused 1