Firm closing

finlo

4 hours ago, forestboy said:

Same all over the Island.  Greedy landlords.

Not just that per se. This is all vestiges of the culture from when the Island was led to believe that it was the 8th richest nation on the planet, the 5th most likely to put a man into space and was such an important global player that we could have intervened successfully in Ukraine.

None of it ever true, plus the fact that this Island economy is in decline in many facets and areas. Some faster than others, true, and the shills will be on here shortly to declare that things have never been so good but empty premises and rent rates that cling to the aforementioned dreamland image across the Island tell their own story.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Not just that per se. This is all vestiges of the culture from when the Island was led to believe that it was the 8th richest nation on the planet, the 5th most likely to put a man into space and was such an important global player that we could have intervened successfully in Ukraine.

None of it ever true, plus the fact that this Island economy is in decline in many facets and areas. Some faster than others, true, and the shills will be on here shortly to declare that things have never been so good but empty premises and rent rates that cling to the aforementioned dreamland image across the Island tell their own story.

Sadly it’s early days yet for increased gas and electric cost to hit home. Wait till September onwards and it’s really going to hit home the costs of living here. That and mortgage and food prices and it’s going to be very hard for many. I look on myself as lucky as I don’t have a mortgage but still the increases are starting to hurt. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Sadly it’s early days yet for increased gas and electric cost to hit home. Wait till September onwards and it’s really going to hit home the costs of living here. That and mortgage and food prices and it’s going to be very hard for many. I look on myself as lucky as I don’t have a mortgage but still the increases are starting to hurt. 

If you’ve got a state pension or a government pension then you’re fully inflation proofed.

If you’ve got both & had a nice lump sum from IOMG well you’ve got nothing to worry about!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Banker said:

If you’ve got a state pension or a government pension then you’re fully inflation proofed.

If you’ve got both & had a nice lump sum from IOMG well you’ve got nothing to worry about!!

Nope , no government pension here and definitely no lump sum. Just my state pension but am okay really but it is starting to hurt living alone when rates bills come in around the same time as vehicle tax and insurance.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Nope , no government pension here and definitely no lump sum. Just my state pension but am okay really but it is starting to hurt living alone when rates bills come in around the same time as vehicle tax and insurance.

Rates bills can be spread over the year, as can insurance.

Vehicle tax can’t really, which is pathetic and shows a complete lack of understating of peoples situations by government.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I saw Sheila’s Baps in Peel in 1994.

Might be a different “business” though.

Tuna, cheese and mayo was her speciality 

The last time I had my hands around one of Sheila's Baps in Balthane was about 15 years ago. And very nice experience it was too! 😉

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

PSM Pavilion is in need of a LOT of work before anyone would want to move in there apparantly.

No one wants to part with the cash to do it.

Surely that’s the landlord’s responsibility to rectify faults etc before new tenants arrive but suppose this is local government!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Surely that’s the landlord’s responsibility to rectify faults etc before new tenants arrive but suppose this is local government!!

You'd think that wouldn't you.  But it seems that they would just like to see it empty and not earning any income, for anyone.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

You'd think that wouldn't you.  But it seems that they would just like to see it empty and not earning any income, for anyone.  

It seems it’s local authorities policy to leave everything empty as they’re not paying, eg an elderly relative vacated a Port Erin commissioners house 15 months ago , her friend vacated next door 18months ago, both houses had the usual stripping of fairly new carpets, curtains etc & binned & the houses have been left like that for well over 12 months whilst large waiting list. I know of at least 4 others in PE similar, absolute madness!

On 7/6/2023 at 3:09 PM, Andy Onchan said:

I thought it was Sheila's Baps in Balthane?

Definitely Heather's baps.  I remember distinctly sending a photo of it to a friend of mine called Heather.