Firm closing

finlo

The Marine is probably fairly priced for what it is, but it's in serious need of updating, especially the apartments (it's not surprising there are no Estate Agent photos of them available). Whoever buys the place will need deep pockets.

Edited by Katman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Katman said:

The Marine is probably fairly priced for what it is, but it's in serious need of updating, especially the apartments (it's not surprising there are no Estate Agent photos of them available). Whoever buys the place will need deep pockets.

Can feed 4 adults with drinks for 60 quid at the Marine. Huge portions too.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Can feed 4 adults with drinks for 60 quid at the Marine. Huge portions too.

you are right it might be a bit rough and ready ,but its the best value for money  eating out pub on the island , and your not hanging about waiting to be served either , 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Indeed. Before the restaurant was built,and before they offered daily meals ( I'm guessing around 35 years ago now) we used to go for Sunday roast dinner. It used to be served in the middle bar with a maximum of ten people seated (with a queue waiting). No breakfast before, Sandra's roast dinner with those huge Yorkshires and that famous gravy of hers, and no need to eat again until Monday. £3. No lie.  

I think it's closer to 25 years since the restaurant was built. I've lived in Peel for just over 32 years and I'd been here a while before it was done. Then the Creek got in on the act with their extension. I still miss the old Creek snug. It's where I had my first ever drink in Peel, about five years before I moved here.

4 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I love it. The food ain't bad.

4 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I love it. The food ain't bad.

Yes...its not fine dining  but very good value decent  pub food .  Far better than  the chain pubs across which are often microwaved rubbish .

I do hope that the new owners keep the restaurant but I suspect its impossible to sell food at current prices and even break even .

The prices have not increased ( i think ) after covid while everywhere else is up by 20 to 30 %

On 7/23/2023 at 9:49 AM, Roxanne said:

When they passed it on to the union guy I thought they’d get their well deserved break but no, they ended up having to go back.

It really was on the slide then. It seemed to be run with all the entrepreneurial flair of TGWU/Unite. I expect it must have been a torrid time for Mick too. It was a surprising move from the start. Hopefully, it gave him an understanding of the challenges faced by "the other side" of the industrial divide.

16 hours ago, woolley said:

It really was on the slide then. It seemed to be run with all the entrepreneurial flair of TGWU/Unite. I expect it must have been a torrid time for Mick too. It was a surprising move from the start. Hopefully, it gave him an understanding of the challenges faced by "the other side" of the industrial divide.

That's a rather generous way of looking at it. Clearly he couldn't cope and so scuttled off to his current service prevention and customer inconvenience maximisation role. 

[Edit] And more positively, I hope The Marine comes through OK and indeed thrives. It would be a great shame if it was lost. It's a good pub in a cracking spot.

Edited by Yibble
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Yibble said:

That's a rather generous way of looking at it. Clearly he couldn't cope and so scuttled off to his current service prevention and customer inconvenience maximisation role. 

[Edit] And more positively, I hope The Marine comes through OK and indeed thrives. It would be a great shame if it was lost. It's a good pub in a cracking spot.

You mean in his union work?

Can't agree with that at all. Unions are becoming more valuable every day. 

I act as an employer and still maintain a union membership. Have had one for many years. The advice and help I've received from them over the years has been invaluable.