Firm closing

finlo

15 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Seems to be a little fashion clothes shop in Port Erin.

Looked it up myself yesterday as I hadn't heard of it.

I went in when it opened, I wasn't entirely sure what it was. Vaguely fashion related, kind of an Old Skool hip-hop vibe. I don't mean any criticism by this - I clearly wasn't the target market. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

I went in when it opened, I wasn't entirely sure what it was. Vaguely fashion related, kind of an Old Skool hip-hop vibe. I don't mean any criticism by this - I clearly wasn't the target market. 

Surely not!

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

Neither - I was more Attila the Stockbroker and the Disposable Heroes of Hiphopcrisy. But I'm all about Young Fathers now. 

Have you checked out Chilli Gonzales? 

I saw Michael Franti and Spearhead a few year ago

58 minutes ago, Declan said:

Neither - I was more Attila the Stockbroker and the Disposable Heroes of Hiphopcrisy. But I'm all about Young Fathers now. 

I didn't know how much I'd missed you until you returned.

Thanks for the many extremely welcome guffaws this morning

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yibble said:

That's a rather generous way of looking at it. Clearly he couldn't cope and so scuttled off to his current service prevention and customer inconvenience maximisation role. 

[Edit] And more positively, I hope The Marine comes through OK and indeed thrives. It would be a great shame if it was lost. It's a good pub in a cracking spot.

I aim to be generous in all my posting, and to err on the side of respecting the contrary view. You can take it I was being charitable here too.

3 hours ago, jackwhite said:

I act as an employer and still maintain a union membership. Have had one for many years. The advice and help I've received from them over the years has been invaluable.

It must be great when you negotiate with yourself. Have you have gone on strike and stood outside with a banner. "Down with jackwhite."

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

It must be great when you negotiate with yourself. Have you have gone on strike and stood outside with a banner. "Down with jackwhite."

I've never had the need to 'negotiate'. 

Behave like a responsible employer and it's unlikely you'll have to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, woolley said:

Well, I agree with that. I take it you didn't employ yourself then.

I do employ myself under a couple of limited companies.

If you mean why do I continue the membership, it's simply because I've had so much value from it. 

It also encourages anyone I employ to do likewise and I do point out the benefits to them. 

Think it's an invaluable thing to have and I've used their services a few times with places I've worked prior to working for myself.

They are also having to deal with a few on the hospitality scene in Glasgow and Scotland at the moment, more than they should have to. That said, I know a few of the names involved and I'm not at all surprised.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I do employ myself under a couple of limited companies.

If you mean why do I continue the membership, it's simply because I've had so much value from it. 

It also encourages anyone I employ to do likewise and I do point out the benefits to them. 

Think it's an invaluable thing to have and I've used their services a few times with places I've worked prior to working for myself.

They are also having to deal with a few on the hospitality scene in Glasgow and Scotland at the moment, more than they should have to. That said, I know a few of the names involved and I'm not at all surprised.

Interesting. I have the opposite experience of union membership. When I was a young communist I was keen to join, and wanted to believe in it. Later I didn't have a choice because the firm was in the grip of the unions and was a closed shop. All they did in their negotiations was to rationalise the pay scales for everyone, so that those who were on higher pay for superior performance got a lower rise than the rest to "level up" the workforce, to coin a phrase. Never found them to be any use at all, and then we were made redundant when the business was bought out. Money down the drain. I'd had enough of unions and being an employee, so I started my own businesses from then on.

Edited by woolley

23 minutes ago, woolley said:

Interesting. I have the opposite experience of union membership. When I was a young communist I was keen to join, and wanted to believe in it. Later I didn't have a choice because the firm was in the grip of the unions and was a closed shop. All they did in their negotiations was to rationalise the pay scales for everyone, so that those who were on higher pay for superior performance got a lower rise than the rest to "level up" the workforce, to coin a phrase. Never found them to be any use at all, and then we were made redundant when the business was bought out. Money down the drain. I'd had enough of unions and being an employee, so I started my own businesses from then on.

Everyone has their opinion of them.

Hospitality can be a bit wild west, even to this day. Not that any other business can't be. 

Recently in Glasgow there have been unsafe working conditions, the owner simply closed the place down to avoid actually having to do anything. They do still own other venues. There has at least been some form of backlash against them by the public. 

I've had occasion to discuss with them some potential issues over the years but, ultimately, it's all been resolved amicably. 

Like I said, just be a reasonable person. Then it's very difficult for you to actually get into that position in the first place, let alone find yourself in the firing line. 

• Like 2