Firm closing

finlo

Doctors are generally a good thing but I wouldn't extend that to Dr Harold Shipman 😈.

Being more reasonable:

Good unions are a good thing, not just for their members but also (potentially) for the employers involved and for wider society.

Bad unions forment workplace disharmony, set employees against employer (and vv) and will be happy to screw over society and even its most vulnerable members in order to extort more cash or concessions around restrictive practices. Ultimately that may act against their members' own interests, as well as society's.

I have a fairly clear view as to which of these 'crap landlord' and his union activities fall under. Others may differ.

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Ross Bakery is for sale. 

Saw that. 

Found it curious as thought they'd sold The Alpine to concentrate on that. Maybe they have enough money, maybe they're doing something else. Who knows. 

I'd imagine it's a taxing business though even just in terms of the hours. Not a trade I'd fancy certainly but I guess others would say the same about bars.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Saw that. 

Found it curious as thought they'd sold The Alpine to concentrate on that. Maybe they have enough money, maybe they're doing something else. Who knows. 

I'd imagine it's a taxing business though even just in terms of the hours. Not a trade I'd fancy certainly but I guess others would say the same about bars.

Or maybe they’re leaving the IOM. 

31 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Everyone has their opinion of them.

Hospitality can be a bit wild west, even to this day. Not that any other business can't be. 

Recently in Glasgow there have been unsafe working conditions, the owner simply closed the place down to avoid actually having to do anything. They do still own other venues. There has at least been some form of backlash against them by the public. 

I've had occasion to discuss with them some potential issues over the years but, ultimately, it's all been resolved amicably. 

Like I said, just be a reasonable person. Then it's very difficult for you to actually get into that position in the first place, let alone find yourself in the firing line. 

I do agree, and I speak as an employer of 30 years standing, but it does require the other side to be reasonable too. Isn't that the root of all human strife, industrial or otherwise? It sounds so simple. Unfortunately, everyone has their own take on what is reasonable. Putin thinks he's being reasonable. It's probably incredible that there is as much consensus in the world as there is.

33 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

With all those animals, the Ark must have been full of it…

No, they had a window in order to get rid of it. The same thing is done on farms when livestock is kept indoors although it’s slightly easier.

9 minutes ago, Kopek said:

So the Biblical version is responsible for sea pollution too!!!

No, that’s purely down to what humans have down in the past 200 years, approx. The Biblical version states that all animals were vegetarian and there weren’t that many to pollute the world’s oceans anyway if you think about the Bible and the size of this world.

2000 years is plenty of time for all those bacteriuria to swim around the world!

There was a Radio 4 sketch, John Finnimore I think, on how many Arks would be required to keep the predators and predated apart! How did Noah do it??? Apart from shovelling shit out of the window!!!

I believe that Laxey christians are being locked in their houses and set on fire as we speak!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

That's a shame, their bread knocks the pants of Noah's shite

In what way is Noa bread "shite"?

Its expensive sure. It's also very filling, too filling sometimes, especially if you're a fan of bread being something to serve hot greasy bubbling cheese upon. But "shite"? Really?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, woolley said:

I do agree, and I speak as an employer of 30 years standing, but it does require the other side to be reasonable too. Isn't that the root of all human strife, industrial or otherwise? It sounds so simple. Unfortunately, everyone has their own take on what is reasonable. Putin thinks he's being reasonable. It's probably incredible that there is as much consensus in the world as there is.

This is true. I'm a union man, have been for many years. Although I do think thing are best settled in a reasonable way as you suggest.

In my experience this is definitely the best approach in small businesses where as an employee you know the boss and a mutual respect exists. Both be reasonable to each other and everything works well.

In big multinational companies however (with very few exceptions) as an employee you really are just a number. It really doesn't matter how good at your job you are or how much your immediate boss values you, the company will treat you the way that suits them regardless of how it affects you. This is where unions come into their own and are very useful.

• Like 3