Firm closing

finlo

4 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

Apparently can’t put a covenant on them now as law has changed. 

What law is that?

This so-called covenant thing needs to be tested. Maybe the buyer needs to resell immediately after the sale with the covenant removed. I have seen covenants that have been stipulated as "running with the land" but I can't see that being enforceable either. I would have thought such things would have to be by an Act of Tynwald. Which yes, sounds daft but that seems to be the only way to enforce such a covenant.

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

JC's Bar (formerly Da Vinci's) gone. 

The least surprising closure ever. 

Blaming cost of living crisis but it wasn't well run IMO.

Actually shutting later this month, with last day being Sunday 27 August according to their Facebook, but  they are "looking at opening our new adventure - events are coming to you very SOON".  'Adventures' are becoming almost as tedious as 'journeys', aren't they?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The cost of living  crisis is seriously affecting  the restaurant trade .. Went to a popular steakhouse for lunch over the weekend and there were only three tables occupied ..

Last year  at the same time I couldn't get a table without a reservation  

8 minutes ago, Barlow said:

What law is that?

This so-called covenant thing needs to be tested. Maybe the buyer needs to resell immediately after the sale with the covenant removed. I have seen covenants that have been stipulated as "running with the land" but I can't see that being enforceable either. I would have thought such things would have to be by an Act of Tynwald. Which yes, sounds daft but that seems to be the only way to enforce such a covenant.

Restrictive covenants run with the land. That means that the land is bound by it and the owner of the land subject to the covenant can’t get rid of it, by selling or transferring. The owner with benefit can always enforce against the current owner, unless he removes it or the court removes it as redundant.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

That May be how they are marketing. But for a covenant to be valid it must be created by two separate owners. In law they are called the dominant and servient. The one able to enforce and the one that can be enforced against. They can’t be the same person or entity.

The usual time of creation is on sale, imposed by vendor on purchaser. There are other means, and times. But there has to be a legal document with two separate parties.

I wondered about that.  Could H&B have tried to get round this restriction by selling properties between different companies they own, inserting the covenant?  If so, it's definitely one in the eye for Tynwald who passed legislation specifically to stop this sort of thing.

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I wondered about that.  Could H&B have tried to get round this restriction by selling properties between different companies they own, inserting the covenant?  If so, it's definitely one in the eye for Tynwald who passed legislation specifically to stop this sort of thing.

Quite expensive with ad valorem recordal fees and first land registration ( most of their properties won’t be on the land register )

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

The guys at Kiki's have applied to open a pavement cafe in Nelson Street, at the back of the Court House building. 

Open 9am to 1am 7 days a week. Doubt it will be that all the time. Interesting move all the same.

Believe it will be licensed too.

Obviously they're going for a cafe/bar style thing, but it's hardly the most picturesque bit of Old Douglas Town and there doesn't seem to be much pavement outside or indeed space inside 37 Nelson Street.

Obviously they should call it "Opposite the Old Tripe Shop".  So we know where it is.

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Obviously they're going for a cafe/bar style thing, but it's hardly the most picturesque bit of Old Douglas Town and there doesn't seem to be much pavement outside or indeed space inside 37 Nelson Street.

Obviously they should call it "Opposite the Old Tripe Shop".  So we know where it is.

I accept that but perhaps that's deliberate. 

They have a reasonable following of people who will come to Kiki's, regardless of age range. On that front they're off to a good start. I think some of these people will welcome the opportunity to be able to get an experience both during the day and on weekdays.

I can't imagine the rent to be much although it will require a reasonable amount of money spent to bring it up to scratch. 

Some people won't fancy it. To quote Seth Godin, perhaps "it's not for you". In other words, you can't appeal to every one. Concentrate on establishing and satisfying a core market. New people will try it. If they like it, great. If not, they do still have the established customer base to fall back on.

Personally I'm not sure it's for me. I certainly know it's not aimed at me. So I will give it a try and see what it's like. 

As always though for anyone trying something different and doing it well, best of luck to them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

Word on the street is that Paulette is moving from the Royal to the Central which will be open for MGP. Gossip also says that the Barbary Coast will be running the Royal but nobody is sure whether they're buying it or leasing it. This is of course Ramsey pub gossip so its not exactly reliable.

She seems to know how to run a pub, so should make a good job of it

If true, great to see the brewery have realised they are shit at managing pubs and passing it on to someone who can 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manxman1234 said:

If true, great to see the brewery have realised they are shit at managing pubs and passing it on to someone who can 

It is true I posted about it a few pages back. Anyhow I've just seen her carrying a bathroom sink into the Central!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Manxman1234 said:

They usually soon see off anyone who's good.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, finlo said:

It is true I posted about it a few pages back. Anyhow I've just seen her carrying a bathroom sink into the Central!

This on the news today too...

Screenshot_20230807-170041_Chrome.jpg