Firm closing

finlo

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

All the brewery pubs seem to becoming run down

Woody - Seats covers worn out and people are sat on dirty filthy sponge

Whitestone - Carpets held together with duct tape. Really tatty

The only really smart places are the Prospect and the Cat. (Not been in the new Railway)

And the food is going seriously downhill in them. I was trumpeting haw much better they were this time last year, now they are crap again. Awful food. Appears like cheap nasty microwave stuff and pre cooked meats. All the brewery pubs are off our list at the moment. It no wonder they are struggling.

Horse & Plough has been done up relatively recently and the food is alright. 

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

'alright' is not tempting me 😆

Surprisingly acceptable? 

I ate there a couple of times in the space of a couple of weeks about 6 months ago and it was actually quite good.  I mentioned this on here (I think the Food & Drink thread) and was rounded upon.  Maybe I got lucky, but I would be happy to eat there again. 

36 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Surprisingly acceptable? 

I ate there a couple of times in the space of a couple of weeks about 6 months ago and it was actually quite good.  I mentioned this on here (I think the Food & Drink thread) and was rounded upon.  Maybe I got lucky, but I would be happy to eat there again. 

Id try it again (or maybe not) . Sunday lunch at the Cat was great 6 months ago. Now its crap

15 hours ago, StCatherine said:

The brewery have installed a new landlady in the George Castletown who seems to be on a mission to drive away custom. Union definitely has a being run down vibe too. 

They will be promoting her to area manager like the did with the guy who got kicked out of Dealz and the coop , 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Surprisingly acceptable? 

Was there a few weeks ago and while it was a weekday evening    there were only 3 other people inside .  I only had drinks as I had plans for dinner elsewhere 

Not sure how they can sustain  with so few customers. I don't know if they get enough customers over the weekend to compensate .

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

All the brewery pubs seem to becoming run down

Woody - Seats covers worn out and people are sat on dirty filthy sponge

Whitestone - Carpets held together with duct tape. Really tatty

The only really smart places are the Prospect and the Cat. (Not been in the new Railway)

And the food is going seriously downhill in them. I was trumpeting haw much better they were this time last year, now they are crap again. Awful food. Appears like cheap nasty microwave stuff and pre cooked meats. All the brewery pubs are off our list at the moment. It no wonder they are struggling.

Station port Erin has good food, was there 2 weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Was there a few weeks ago and while it was a weekday evening    there were only 3 other people inside .  I only had drinks as I had plans for dinner elsewhere 

Not sure how they can sustain  with so few customers. I don't know if they get enough customers over the weekend to compensate .

They can't possibly sustain with so few customers. What they don't seem to realise is that to get customers you have to offer a good service. Try and get in Wine Down on a weekday evening.

The brewery's strategy is to make the service worse to try and balance the books. They don't seem to have grasped the concept.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Well this was 6 months ago at weekends and both times we were pretty much first in for dinner service and all tables were reserved/we had to be finished quite quickly.  So weekend trade seemed to be good albeit before the real 'cost of living crisis' was kicking in. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Banker said:

Went to George last week, one order forgotten, one incorrect, 3 came at same time, then 2 more 10 minutes later the forgotten one eventually when everyone had finished. They didn’t charge for drinks which were c£20.

Union has been run down for 20 years 

George used to be very good food too.

We have stopped going. Food and service been going downhill for months.

Much prefer the Station in PE now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

George used to be very good food too.

We have stopped going. Food and service been going downhill for months.

Much prefer the Station in PE now.

Might go this weekend..Any recommendations on what to order ? 

Most pubs have one or two dishes that they do well and I always try to order those..

On 8/7/2023 at 11:26 PM, 0bserver said:

It was brilliant in it's previous incarnation. Was great venue for business lunch when clients visited the island. 

Since it was renamed it just went to shit. 

Wasn't just 're-named'.

Was formerly owned by current owner of Blind Pig and one of those involved with Bushys beer tent. 

Brother and sister bought it with their inheritance money and hadn't a clue how to run it. Also some murky stories that don't warrant being posted on here.