Firm closing

finlo

5 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I have to say that the local Ross’ sourdough contains no holes whatsover, apart from the minuscule ones in between the wheat

That’s good to know.   But even Mothers’ Pride had holes - somewhere between the electron clouds and the nuclei - but they were there.

It’s easy - there’s a risk of holes in different batches of sourdough bread.   If you don’t want to take the risk, don’t buy sourdough.   Buy something guaranteed to be high density.  🙂

12 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

That’s good to know.   But even Mothers’ Pride had holes - somewhere between the electron clouds and the nuclei - but they were there.

The best thing about Mothers’ Pride was the waxed wrapping paper. We used to use it on the ‘Big Slide’ and it made you go really really fast. I still have the scar to prove it. 

23 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Was that a large loaf, thick sliced? Probably a small loaf, thin sliced sufficed.

Medium loaf medium slice. An extremely ordinary loaf unlike it’s big brother the Plain loaf with it’s extremely dark curved crust on one side giving you either a ‘mummy’ or ‘daddy’ slice, the ‘daddy’ slice being straight and not quite so crusty.

These were the things we concerned ourselves with back then. 

Edited by Roxanne
To remove a word.

5 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Medium loaf medium slice. An extremely ordinary loaf unlike it’s big brother the Plain loaf with it’s extremely dark curved crust on one side giving you either a ‘mummy’ or ‘daddy’ slice, the ‘daddy’ slice being straight and not quite so crusty.

These were the things we concerned ourselves with back then. 

That and slides. 

• Haha 1

As a kid I was sent to Quirks in Onchan for a loaf. The one she picked up was seriously dark on the top, I asked for one that was not 'burnt'! She indignantly told me, '' It's high bake''!!!

Three bakers in Onchan in those days! Plus 'Slugsies' chip shop, nice well done chips, even if the odd fag end deep fried with them!!! Deep fried  Pork pies too.

Oh, those were the days!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Kopek said:

As a kid I was sent to Quirks in Onchan for a loaf. The one she picked up was seriously dark on the top, I asked for one that was not 'burnt'! She indignantly told me, '' It's high bake''!!!

Oh, those were the days!

burnt = caramalised these days.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Kopek said:

or... car melised to Americans!!!!

There was one  Chippy  in Windsor road Douglas  owned by Maggie Spits  thats  how she tested the heat of the fat  

it would be a  far cry  from fried fag ends ,  but amazing how these memories stick in your mind , 

and you got free scratchings of bits as she called them