Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Great location especially when it’s good weather, lots of passing trade. Went to new Chinese grand house last week, excellent food , very cheap 2 course each bill £32 & BYO, FULL when we were there at 19.30

It's pretty much full all the time. I don't think the food is quute excellent but it's certainly fine for what it is. Been 4 times now. It costs no more than a takeaway so makes a great budget meal out. 

They have hit on a good formula and I wish them well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mollag said:

Word is that Vladimir has sold Pizza Napoli, he put a lot into establishing it, he beat the covid slump but price inflation has forced his exit,

It’s a shame but not entirely unexpected. Price inflation may have played its part ( it affects all in that and other parts of the economy)

Pizza Napoli built up a great reputation in Ramsey. It was expensive in relation to the one or two competitors it had, but the product was great. That was widely acknowledged in the town.

They shut up shop,  as a big fish in a small town,in Ramsey,  and became a small fish in Douglas a very overcrowded, and thus price sensitive market, including setting up a restaurant in a location where parking is very difficult.

There is a  moral in all this somewhere but I wish Vladimir all the best.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mollag said:

Word is that Vladimir has sold Pizza Napoli, he put a lot into establishing it, he beat the covid slump but price inflation has forced his exit,

Been looking to sell for a long time now. Going back to Bulgaria from what I've heard. 

The shop has been opened for quite a few months stating 'under new ownership'. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2112 said:

I’m sure that going out for a pizza now is a real treat, and to some a luxurious treat, whereas upto a couple of years ago, people would think nothing of eating out. Now every penny counts. 

Been out for dinner 3 times this week and every time the place has been full. The same was true of other establishments nearby. 

18 hours ago, 2112 said:

It’s sad that any business will close, even if they are a good business with a good product and reputation. In this case, like others it’s a case of rising costs, lack of revenue and possibly those customers reining in their spending. I’m sure that going out for a pizza now is a real treat, and to some a luxurious treat, whereas upto a couple of years ago, people would think nothing of eating out. Now every penny counts. 

I totally agree.  I know lots of younger people whom are struggling with rising living costs. I used to go out regularly for dinner never thought about the cost until my life circumstances abruptly changed.  I now live a much healthier life eat great food and drink the odd bottle of St -Emilion.  l now appreciate what the Island life offers, l don't think l did before as l was to busy earning money, thinking at the time it was actually important, l was sadly mistaken. 

I do still go out for dinner occasionally but it's a rare treat and l have really want to experience that particular restaurant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Been out for dinner 3 times this week and every time the place has been full. The same was true of other establishments nearby. 

Perhaps it's indicative of a growing wealth divide on the Island.

I know plenty of people, myself included, who couldn't afford to eat out 3 times a week, some couldn't afford to eat out once a month such has been the draw on their disposable income by inflation and hikes from the Govt and its bodies.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I know plenty of people, myself included, who couldn't afford to eat out 3 times a week, some couldn't afford to eat out once a month such has been the draw on their disposable income by inflation and hikes from the Govt and its bodies.

I think this 3 times a week is exaggerated to say the least, and those who do, will not be affected by the rigours of increased costs, as they most likely have a well paid employment or are part of establishment, so will trumpet what CM Cannan wants you to hear - the island is boooooming. 

I accept there are some that like to eat out, but I’m quite sure, they just have a main course. Where money was good, I’m sure diners would have starters, mains and a dessert, with accompanying sides not forgetting wine. Even Sunday lunch is costing a minimum of £30 plus per person. If you are a family it could cost £120+ not including any extras and drinks - how many have this disposable income? Mothers Day, Fathers Day or Birthdays, but I doubt regularly. 

Perhaps the civil servants are eating at these eateries, and feeding their observations to the Starship Enterprise? I would say that many hospitality businesses are struggling to keep afloat, and it’s survival of the fittest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Yeah I can't afford to eat out often. But on top of the actual cost, there is also for me the feeling of value for money. I've not got my head around this inflated world yet, and I just feel like I'm getting ripped off everywhere, so rather than suck it up I just outright refuse to spend. When me and the boy head out for the day instead of considering going for lunch somewhere I'll take a packed one with me, I'm not paying £9 for a tuna sandwich and a can of pop for him, absolutely sod off, it just isn't worth it. 

• Like 5

I will eventually go to the new bar Jack White is touting in dirty Douglas, and I will order a can of stupidly strong imperial stout knowing it will cost £££, but it will still be more expensive than I already expect and I will leave annoyed and never go again feeling i've been scalped.

• Haha 2