Firm closing

finlo

6 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Do we knead a massive bakery? Can't we go back to little, local ones?......I know about the spelllng, it's supposed to be funny.

good thinking, you do need to tell people when you're joking here sometimes cos the woke brigade play at being upset cos they think they should and you could get suspended

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Do we knead a massive bakery? Can't we go back to little, local ones?......I know about the spelllng, it's supposed to be funny.

No we don’t as Tesco will take up slack with they’re cheap shite!

hopefully Noas & Ross & some new ones will get market share 

• Like 3

Just now, Banker said:

No we don’t as Tesco will take up slack with they’re cheap shite!

hopefully Noas & Ross & some new ones will get market share 

they should amalgamate and become 'NOAROSS' bakery ( pronounced Nora's ) and take over the RB operation. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There will be a bread shortage TT week for sure.   How are they going to transport all that cheap bread over to the Island there won’t be any available space on the Packet.   The cheap bread is full of additives just read the label, dreadful stuff.   

All the freight goes on Arrow in TT. Plenty of space, and extra sailings available. Stop being a doom monger drama Queen.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Sorry if any of this has already been said.

I'm at a loss to understand why the business wasn't offered for sale, I know it needs a lot of investment in new machinery etc but that's a negotiating point? I'd have thought that paying redundancy and clearing the site etc would be a costly enterprise too.

There must still be potential for a fair sized local bakery making a good quality product without the ghastly E numbers I'd have thought? A premium range of breads would also be a winner judging by how much people are prepared to pay for Noa products. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm at a loss to understand why the business wasn't offered for sale, I know it needs a lot of investment in new machinery etc but that's a negotiating point? I'd have thought that paying redundancy and clearing the site etc would be a costly enterprise too.

There must still be potential for a fair sized local bakery making a good quality product without the ghastly E numbers I'd have thought? A premium range of breads would also be a winner judging by how much people are prepared to pay for Noa products. 

You don't know the state of the finances, only with the last three years of accounts could you make a judgement.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The capital investment would be massive eg purchase of buildings, machinery etc probably 3/4€m. Bear in mind that RB can’t make a profit & they own building!!

Competing against Tesco is just burning money for no reason 

14 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

You don't know the state of the finances, only with the last three years of accounts could you make a judgement.

That would be a matter for a would be purchaser, we don't really know because the company statement didn't say whether they had tried to sell the business and been unable to find a purchaser?

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

The capital investment would be massive eg purchase of buildings, machinery etc probably 3/4€m. Bear in mind that RB can’t make a profit & they own building!!

Competing against Tesco is just burning money for no reason 

We don't know if they were profitable or not, they are a private company who have built a huge market share. They have never sought help from government when they could, if needed. The reasons for closing only hint at potentially temporary rising energy and raw material costs, but the main reason for closure appears to be that it is the right time for the family to give it up. There are government grants and assistance for modernising machinery etc and a potential purchaser would benefit from this, and possibly other enticements to prevent closure, redundancies and the likelihood of knock on issues with Laxey Mills. 

Ok did not realise the Arrow did the freight but what happens when it reaches the Island will it only be the bread that is ordered  by  the three big outlets, what about all the corner shops, garages etc that sell bread ?   How are they going to get supplied?   We will see what happens 🤫 .