Firm closing

finlo

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

It looks nice. All it will take is a few tattoo'd thugs and druggies to make it Jaks2

I got an invitation to go and seen a band in Jaks this week.   I've never been before but would have gone if l hadnt had a previous engagement. Were you joking? 🙃  Or maybe not?  🤣 

5 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Rum Baba’s. Another new restaurant and bar.  Sounds interesting although the social media stuff is all a bit vague and doesn’t even say which town yet.

Good places are opening and doing well, poor places are closing.  I can strongly recommend the Turkish Eggs at White Tiger Cafe in Ramsey which is another new venture that really deserves to do well.

Hope they've thoroughly checked out the building they're going into...

9 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Unless you are the ones going in - none of your business 

Well thanks for your help.

I think I know where they are going but am not certain enough to say as I don’t want to be spreading false info.

You indicated that you knew so I asked the question.

Hopefully you can get out in some nice weather and and a nice bank holiday.  It sounds like you need it.

Best of luck to them anyway.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, ADELE said:

The menu looks really reasonable and plenty of choice.

You think?

Small plates and cocktails that don't actually say what's in them?

Don't fancy it. The cocktails will go down a storm but I think it's a disappointing concept.

21 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Rum Baba’s. Another new restaurant and bar.  Sounds interesting although the social media stuff is all a bit vague and doesn’t even say which town yet.

Good places are opening and doing well, poor places are closing.  I can strongly recommend the Turkish Eggs at White Tiger Cafe in Ramsey which is another new venture that really deserves to do well.

Not certain but I think it's in Ramsey. Also from comments above, reading between the lines, that's the case. I don't know anything else other than what it says on their socials, surf and turf along with tapas. 

22 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Does anybody know anything about the “food cellar” coming next the the wine cellar?  I saw them advertising for front of house people.

From what I know, the plan is to have a deli which will be eat in too. It's in the spare space next to their current premises, all adjoining.

25 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

You think?

Small plates and cocktails that don't actually say what's in them?

Don't fancy it. The cocktails will go down a storm but I think it's a disappointing concept.

Yep, have to say the menu hardly had me salivating!  I mean, a whole section on popcorn!

Edited by Gladys

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/tt-merchandise-company-goes-into-administration-635057

Well that went well. Hope the DoE planned for this and eventuality and don't end up in some sort of legal limbo over licensing rights or spending tax payers money to buy it back.

At least they've got 9 months to sort out a supplier for next years TT.

Edited by CallMeCurious

4 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/tt-merchandise-company-goes-into-administration-635057

Well that went well. Hope the DoE planned for this and eventuality and don't end up in some sort of legal limbo over licensing rights or spending tax payers money to buy it back.

At least they've got 9 months to sort out a supplier for next years TT.

Shirley the administrators can sell the remainder of the contract?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-business/businesses-express-frustrations-over-mgp-trade/

Maybe families are all spent up with school holidays or just don't want the faff of 'will they wont they' of the roads being open. Uncertainty for businesses  is a real headache. Do you open in the hope you'll get trade to cover the costs and risk taking a loss or close and save most of the costs and the uncertainty for staff and cuistomers?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Shirley the administrators can sell the remainder of the contract?

Depends how long the process takes and if it is transferable or has to be returned to the DoE. After all, if some 3rd rate fly by night company gets the contract and we end up with a bunch of low quality tatt next year. Presumably the procurement process must have some sort of quaiity control to protect the brand.

After all that is where tee value of the brand and the contract lies. 

Probably end up as some last minute panic and tax payers money being thrown at it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

32 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-business/businesses-express-frustrations-over-mgp-trade/

Maybe families are all spent up with school holidays or just don't want the faff of 'will they wont they' of the roads being open. Uncertainty for businesses  is a real headache. Do you open in the hope you'll get trade to cover the costs and risk taking a loss or close and save most of the costs and the uncertainty for staff and cuistomers?

Doesn't help when some of the newer   restaurants close (when scheduled to open) without any notice on Facebook..

Decided to go for lunch  yesterday to a new Asian restaurant in Douglas 

Was told that they are closed due to some issues. Ended up going somewhere else  and they lost out on 6 customers. 

I know that things can  go wrong  but couldnt they at least post this when they are very active on Facebook ? 

Not the first time this has happened to me on the island. 

Not everyone wants to book a table in advance .I hope that they contacted the customers who had booked for lunch. There were many others walking towards the restaurant when we left . I'm not sure if they were also walk in customers. 

Edited by mad_manx

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Not certain but I think it's in Ramsey. Also from comments above, reading between the lines, that's the case. I don't know anything else other than what it says on their socials, surf and turf along with tapas. 

Yes as you say, reading between the lines I would hazard a good guess that Rum Baba is opening in Ramsey. But I may be wrong.