Firm closing

finlo

3 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

From MR: 

Truffle Struffyl - a coffee, chocolate and sweet treat shop in Ramsey - responded saying: “This needs talking about.”

They revealed that due to the location of the business people had presumed they ‘would be busy’ but they weren’t adding: “I am not sure where people are going.”

They're in spitting distance from Parliament Square so should pick up some trade, even if they put some effort in for take-out coffees and a sandwich. I drive past that place every day and it's empty, mind you it looks about as inviting as a Colonoscopy waiting room, so I'm not surprised.

It does look a bit bleak but I’m not sure that’s the reason I also  see it as always empty.

The stupid name doesn’t help. What does it sell? You have quoted “ a coffee, chocolate and sweet treat shop” 

I am more of a savory person. Does it sell sandwiches crisps etc.  You can get take out coffees, sandwiches, pasties, sausage baps etc from Shoprite next door.

The view from the windows looking out at traffic queuing to go through the traffic lights isn’t a positive thing about its location.

I really can’t see it lasting long. But I hope I’m wrong. Sometimes it’s a slow burn for fledgling businesses.

May pop in for a cup of tea to give it a go

• Like 1

What is it with businesses in the hospitality trade. If they cannot get trade when there are thousands of extra visitors on the Island just maybe their customer offering isn't  the right one. Didn't the restaurant moaning in Ridgeway Street used to be TanRogan I don't think they ever complained about extra potential customers. Perhaps they knew their market place and supplied what people wanted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you've got a good product in a reasonable location then you'll do well. That coffee shop or whatever it is in Ramsey doesn't know what it is and neither do the people who walk past. As VoR says, it's uninviting, it's purpose is unknown and it looks out directly onto vehicles and exhaust fumes.

Contrast that with Studio Umami at the other end of town. A small business that looks inviting and offers hot Indian food from 12 onwards. It is accessible, clearly states what's on offer and you can sit in, upstairs, across in the 'gallery' or outside on lovely chairs and tables overlooking the courthouse gardens.

One's run off it's feet and the other has no customers. It's not a coincidence. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

If you've got a good product in a reasonable location then you'll do well. That coffee shop or whatever it is in Ramsey doesn't know what it is and neither do the people who walk past. As VoR says, it's uninviting, it's purpose is unknown and it looks out directly onto vehicles and exhaust fumes.

Contrast that with Studio Umami at the other end of town. A small business that looks inviting and offers hot Indian food from 12 onwards. It is accessible, clearly states what's on offer and you can sit in, upstairs, across in the 'gallery' or outside on lovely chairs and tables overlooking the courthouse gardens.

Exactly Studio Umami's brand is just right and everything just works. Fair play to them, a lovely place.

• Like 4

I work in an all year round busy restaurant in Douglas. I can confirm that the past week has knocked out the stuffing out of me*, so so busier than usual (to be expected... Manx Grand Prix, check... Bank Holiday weekend, check... pay weekend, check). Any eateries not doing good business on the Isle of Man at the moment, "it's not them, it's you".

*Oh how we used to laugh in my younger days, when I used to say "I'm too old for this shit". Well, it ain't no joke anymore, I *am* too old for this shit.

• Like 7

It is true that TT week etc can be either your best day or your worst? It depends on the postponements, if it's announced early, ok. You have people milling around but is it's on off on off no one knows whether to sit on the hedge or go back to Dlas!!!

A lot of new establishments seem to go for a 'theme', it's often not clear what their offering is and that's where the confusion arises?

Who wants these themed cafes? Apparently us!

41 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

At least it lasted longer than mine...

I thought people here would like Asian food, but there was virtually no demand for our 'Korean Delicious Dogs'.

The best food I've eaten apart from Italian pasta is good fish & chips. 50-odd years ago Peel was the place to visit for such a feast.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roxanne said:

It doesn’t help that they just seem to shut whenever the mood takes them. Tried to take our daughter there twice to get a hot chocolate, both times been shut with no notification on any of their socials, won’t be trying it again.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

From MR: 

Truffle Struffyl - a coffee, chocolate and sweet treat shop in Ramsey - responded saying: “This needs talking about.”

They revealed that due to the location of the business people had presumed they ‘would be busy’ but they weren’t adding: “I am not sure where people are going.”

They're in spitting distance from Parliament Square so should pick up some trade, even if they put some effort in for take-out coffees and a sandwich. I drive past that place every day and it's empty, mind you it looks about as inviting as a Colonoscopy waiting room, so I'm not surprised.

Correct.  They are poorly advertised and even poorly signed from the outside.  You could pass the place a thousand times and not know what it is or what they do.

They are in a prime spot for TT and MGP.  We were in Ramsey late last week when the bikes were on and it was packed.  The garage forecourt opposite them and the newly reopened Central were rammed.  If they can’t capitalise on that then they don’t deserve to be in business and for the press to use them as an example is just lazy and inflammatory.

There is a ladies clothes shop opposite the town hall in Ramsey.  It has turned into a TT/MGP shop when the bikes are on and extended it’s opening hours to 9pm to capitalise on the extra people and the money they are spending.

The TT and MGP are an opportunity for anyone with a shop or eatery to adapt and profit.  If some can’t be arsed then that isn’t anyone’s fault but their own.

@blade runner when were you actually last on island when the bikes were on, and when did you last have a business here because your posts make absolutely no sense to a household with people working in finance and construction.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

and for the press to use them as an example is just lazy and inflammatory.

Agreed. Picking out the tiny proportion of bad press from an ineffectual business is not doing any favours to the rest of those who work hard and experience success. 

• Like 1