Firm closing

finlo

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Like the oft quoted example of HMRC counting the amount of peas on a plate.

I’m a bit concerned about these suggestions singling out a particular type of restaurant to perhaps being more prone to tax evasion.

Or those that don’t take cards.

You knew where you were with cheques.

l still use cheques. 

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Death by eroteme

\\\i'm looking for a victim for tonight's tirade? You be careful, you could be near the top of the list!!!

Also, what's ''eroteme'? Is it googleable on private browser? Is it something to do with 'exclamation' marks or Scottish for something we should not put into google????

!!!! just for you!!!????

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just carry cash and cards to cover all eventualities. It really is quite simple. That’s what I do.

Most of the time I don’t even have a card with me, just a phone.  Why would I carry cash or cards around these days?

9 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Maybe don’t want to pay monthly charges and have transaction fees deducted fro their hard earned money 

Paying cash into a business account has higher charges than using a card machine, and that’s before you factor in time and fuel to count it and take it to the bank.

There is no financial reason for a legitimate business not to have a card machine in 2023.

In the past the associated costs were higher than taking cash, that swung the other way about five years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Not been a problem for at least three years.  We just don’t shop in places that are cash only.  It screams shonky to me so I avoid.

You're surely not saying that you would buy drinks in a pub with your card/ phone?

I don’t know what it means but that sounds very “shonky” to me

I’m not unduly bothered by card only or cash only. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything one way or the other about legitimacy.

I do sense a group of traders and customers who prefer cash, for budgeting or other reasons. However there is a group of cash only odd balls, possibly linked to flat earthers, 5G protesters, covid deniers, freemen, big business conspiracy theorists who promote cash due to the bank charges. They claim the banks take so much that if you start out with £100 on a card the bank will have taken it all after 10, 15, 20 ( the number varies ) transactions.

They never factor in the cost of dealing with cash, storage, theft, having to go pay in, robbery, bank charges, cheque charges once you’ve banked, the sheer inconvenience of counting and handling.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You're surely not saying that you would buy drinks in a pub with your card/ phone?

I don’t know what it means but that sounds very “shonky” to me

That’s exactly how I pay for drinks in a pub, along with millions of other people.  On my phone and not with a card.  The card only comes out if I am going somewhere I expect to spend more than the Applepay limit say a trip to B&B for a sofa.

I honestly don’t think I have used a note or coin anywhere on island since COVID.  I did get caught out in Dublin when the bus didn’t take card though which surprised me.

Edited by CrazyDave