Firm closing

finlo

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

That’s exactly how I pay for drinks in a pub, along with millions of other people.  On my phone and not with a card.  The card only comes out if I am going somewhere I expect to spend more than the Applepay limit say a trip to B&B for a sofa.

I honestly don’t think I have used a note or coin anywhere on island since COVID.  I did get caught out in Dublin when the bus didn’t take card though which surprised me.

OK seems a bit odd to me though, almost disrespectful, to not use cash for low value transactions.

I couldn’t imagine going to Dublin without taking at least some Euros for unexpected circumstances like your bus trip.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK seems a bit odd to me though, almost disrespectful, to not use cash for low value transactions.

I couldn’t imagine going to Dublin without taking at least some Euros for unexpected circumstances like your bus trip.

Most places would prefer you use card.  It’s cheaper for them, takes less time, means they aren’t handling dirty cash (especially in hospitality places) is much easier to reconcile at the end of the day and is much more secure.

I don’t see how it could be disrespectful to make someone’s life easier 😂

7 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Most places would prefer you use card.  It’s cheaper for them, takes less time, means they aren’t handling dirty cash (especially in hospitality places) is much easier to reconcile at the end of the day and is much more secure.

I don’t see how it could be disrespectful to make someone’s life easier 😂

It just doesn’t feel right to present your phone or card for something that costs a few quid.

I imagine you are somewhat younger than me

42 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It just doesn’t feel right

The only reason it doesn’t feel right is because it’s something you don’t do. Again, this is down to times changing and people, like you, deciding not to change with them. 

No doubt at one time people thought paying by cheque was weird but now they’ve become all but obsolete. Decimal coins were once the work of the devil but we all got used to it and now cash is on the way out. Then, when debit cards first came out, we had to sign pieces of paper and the seller had to fill out a duplicate form. ‘Chip and Pin’ was ‘new’ but now it’s second nature to most. The advent of the smart phone to took it to the next new level. Yes, it all feels a little weird but it’s also exciting. It shows how the world is changing and we can either change with it and go along happily, or stay stuck and complain about how wrong it all feels. 

Personally, I would chose peaceful surrender any day over fighting change. The latter is futile and only brings you (and us) grief. 

Get with the beat Baggy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

People who pay with their phones in bars and shops are all twats.

11 minutes ago, WTF said:

card purchase for a bar of chocolate is not uncommon, it's fucking daft.

Far less daft than making a cash transaction. 

Using a card in a pub used to be a twattish thing to do when you had to enter a pin and all that. That's long gone. I do everything using my phone these days, the transaction is momentary. Although I have to say my bank manager has a glorious insight into my spending habits.

Edited by Barlow

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It just doesn’t feel right to present your phone or card for something that costs a few quid.

I imagine you are somewhat younger than me

As has been said above, it's cheaper for the shop/bar/wherever to take card as opposed to cash. Card charges are c. 1.7%, with no associated travel to the bank costs. Cash is nearer 3% depending on where you bank.

Increasing numbers of bars, venues across in the UK are card only, it simply makes sense. And the clientèle are not all young, before you ask. Quite the opposite in fact, in one of my favourite UK pubs.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Far less daft than making a cash transaction. 

Using a card in a pub used to be a twattish thing to do when you had to enter a pin and all that. That's long gone. I do everything using my phone these days, the transaction is momentary. Although I have to say my bank manager has a glorious insight into my spending habits.

I rarely carry my card or cash and use my phone a majority of the time. Be it buying petrol, lunch etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

The only reason it doesn’t feel right is because it’s something you don’t do. Again, this is down to times changing and people, like you, deciding not to change with them. 

No doubt at one time people thought paying by cheque was weird but now they’ve become all but obsolete. Decimal coins were once the work of the devil but we all got used to it and now cash is on the way out. 

You may have got used to it.

But me, never. To me it’s still 240 old pence to the pound

And how do you tip a hotel porter using your phone? 

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But me, never.

And just look at the misery it brings you. Attachment is a hellish thing in life. Better to let go and give these things the permission to fulfill you rather than give them the power to destroy you. 

But then again, some folks just love being miserable. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

And just look at the misery it brings you. Attachment is a hellish thing in life. Better to let go and give these things the permission to fulfill you rather than give them the power to destroy you. 

But then again, some folks just love being miserable. 

But I’m not miserable though! 🙂

• Haha 1