Firm closing

finlo

I think that perhaps France was one of the first countries to use cards with an inbuilt chip. A long time ago German friends told me they had been on holiday in France, a long way from a tourist area. A restaurant they went to would not accept cash, nor would they accept Eurocheques - which were still being used. They had to phone the hotel and get them to pay the restaurant, and my friends then paid the hotel - which did accept Eurocheques.

They said they were surprised to see locals going into a shop and use a card to pay for a loaf of bread.

Times have changed.

The bad thing about using a card is that the CIA knows exactly what you are spending money on. I hope the IoM gov. does not keep track - it would only be a matter of time before someone accidentally blasted out the whole dataset in an email to everyone.

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And how do you tip a hotel porter using your phone? 

Not a problem most people have. I don’t know when I last stayed in an hotel with porters, bell hops, concierges.

Using your phone wallet/pay system is no different to a card with touch/tap payment system. It’s one thing, many cards, debit, credit.

Most people carry a phone.

I mainly use cards, but occasionally use my phone. But always carry both and cash. Got mugged in Bulgaria last week. Only an hour off the plane. They got both phones, ipad, kindle, wallet and passport.

Fortunately had spare cards and cash in my main baggage. 5 days without IT was both liberating and frustrating. All my travel docs were on the phone.

I got a cheap second hand one and a PAYG sim, but due to dual factor authentication couldn’t log into iCloud or other useful stuff.

British Embassy were useless, you have to do emergency travel docs on line, they tell you it’s ready by e-Mail, you make the appointment to collect on line. Plus it’s on a no traffic street with no dropped kerbs, anywhere. And it was 40°.

Note to self. Always keep one piece of IT kit separately ( just like I do with cash & cards ).

What I missed the most? The kindle.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

it would only be a matter of time before someone accidentally blasted out the whole dataset in an email to everyone.

This is my fear. 

Two flat whites and a 3.5mm crochet hook from Joan’s Wools and Crafts all on the same day. 

• Haha 2

I'm completely guilt of paying for everything by card, the only time it really bothers me is when I walk past a beggar in the street. I've bought them a Greggs or something a couple of times but it seems a bit condescending to me - always used to prefer to give them whatever change I had, which is now nothing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I'm completely guilt of paying for everything by card, the only time it really bothers me is when I walk past a beggar in the street. 

We're working in UK just now and our town has beggars on every corner (can you guess the town yet? Well it's any town or city in UK).

At least  now I can look them in the eye, shrug and say "it's all on the phone mate" then "try washing dishes or sweeping the street for a wage?" I get a definite look of indifference. 

Yeah, I thought I’d brought my kids up to be kind and lovely apparently this is not the case when it comes to homeless people, the boys don’t understand (at all) and it awful when they say things like “Get a job” or “Stop spending all your money on drugs” … lols no, they’re not talking to me 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I'm completely guilt of paying for everything by card, the only time it really bothers me is when I walk past a beggar in the street. I've bought them a Greggs or something a couple of times but it seems a bit condescending to me - always used to prefer to give them whatever change I had, which is now nothing.

Well you can always make sure you have a bit of change in your pocket.

Its not difficult to organise!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What an awful thing to say!  

It is awful but it was said in a erm, nice way. But you maybe won't believe that.

If it's any consolation, I'm careful who and how I respond to. There are beggars half my age and seemingly far fitter. They should be able to get a job no problem.

We have a beggar in a wheel chair. Jumped off a bridge apparently. I've seen him wheel himself up hills no problem, and persuaded him to take up wheel chair racing, as there is a training ground nearby (Leeds).

Or I could just give them all a quid and leave them to their own devices. And I would have a brief clear conscience and a warm fuzzy virtue signalled glow for a few seconds. 

In general I give the beggars fuck all and they know me. Most seem to like to have a chat. The smack heads keep away though.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Most of the time I don’t even have a card with me, just a phone.  Why would I carry cash or cards around these days?

Paying cash into a business account has higher charges than using a card machine, and that’s before you factor in time and fuel to count it and take it to the bank.

There is no financial reason for a legitimate business not to have a card machine in 2023.

In the past the associated costs were higher than taking cash, that swung the other way about five years ago.

Can you evidence that?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Can you evidence that?

A quick google search will let you know the difference and the implications of each.

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Then once cash is out of the way- watch out. You’ll be at the mercy of the banks

Absolutely. The digital pound is just waiting in the wings.