Firm closing

finlo

I still use cash loads. Don’t have any of the banking apps on my phone but also I never have my phone with me anyway. Yes I do use my debit card but when on holiday it’s cash in £50 notes which you get a slightly better rate for. Guess there’s a risk involved but always have insurance which covers me. Still cash is king with me and it still gets you better prices quite often. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Can you evidence that?

Google it.

Look at bank charges on a busine

47 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Can you evidence that?

I could show you my business accounts and the fees for paying cash in vs what we pay on the card machine, but I am not going to.

Go into a pub and ask which they would prefer and why.

5 hours ago, Barlow said:

We're working in UK just now and our town has beggars on every corner (can you guess the town yet? Well it's any town or city in UK).

Not the one I live in. And not any of the ones I visit.

Edited by Expat.
additional material

5 hours ago, Barlow said:

We're working in UK just now and our town has beggars on every corner (can you guess the town yet? Well it's any town or city in UK).

Following on from expat.

I frequently go to towns and cities in the UK and don’t see beggars on every corner.

You may see the odd beggar in a particular town or city but to make out it is a common occurrence is untruthful and dishonest.

31 minutes ago, Expat. said:

Not the one I live in. And not any of the ones I visit.

I take it you and VOR are down south then.

Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh. Liverpool (actually not so bad) Manchester, and suburbs, Huddersfield, Halifax, Bradford, Leeds plenty of beggars. 

OK, "every corner"  is an exaggeration to paint the picture (except Aberdeen, that's every corner and shop doorway in between, at night)

ETA

I've kind of studied this over the years. I worked in Aberdeen in the oil industry 1980s. Not one beggar to be seen. What a difference a decade or so makes though.

If you live in a town or city supposedly with no beggars (or homeless?) then that is great but watch out - there will be.

Edited by Barlow

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

I take it you and VOR are down south then.

Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh. Liverpool (actually not so bad) Manchester, and suburbs, Huddersfield, Halifax, Bradford, Leeds plenty of beggars. 

OK, "every corner"  is an exaggeration to paint the picture (except Aberdeen, that's every corner and shop doorway in between, at night)

No, predominately North and Midlands is where I visit in the UK.Rarely venture down south.

Not much experience of Scotland I grant you. Maybe there are more beggars there.

22 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It just doesn’t feel right to present your phone or card for something that costs a few quid.

I imagine you are somewhat younger than me

Many airlines do not accept cash these days  for in flight purchases  and you have to pay by card.

Easyjet has been cash free for a year or two..  You need a card / phone 

If you ask anyone under 40 or so it's common not to carry any cash or even cards these days 

Everything is paid by phone. 

As far as I know Google pay/ wallet and Apple pay do not have a upper limit 

The limits are set by the retailer ( was £250 at Tesco when I checked last time) .. I've seen people pay many multiples of this at other shops as they have a higher limit..

I pay almost everything by phone and I have a  card  which can be topped up  and another low spend limit  credit card linked to it .. 

I top up my card linked to Google pay / wallet whenever I need it and the low spend limit card is there as a back up. 

I will never use the debit cards linked to my main bank account on Google pay / wallet or even online / cash machine.. With fast banking it takes only seconds to transfer funds between accounts anyway.

Edited by mad_manx
  • Thanks 1

In some positive news it looks like Asia's  Best Choice has moved to strand Street into larger premises than before 

Those who have been there say that there is loads of choice if you are into pan Asian food.. 

I do wonder if it's sustainable to be on a high street when grocery retail etc is moving away.

2 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

In some positive news it looks like Asia's  Best Choice has moved to strand Street into larger premises than before 

Those who have been there say that there is loads of choice if you are into pan Asian food.. 

I do wonder if it's sustainable to be on a high street when grocery retail etc is moving away.

It's very positive. Been very lively each time I have been past. Time will tell I suppose and it's a brave venture. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Many airlines do not accept cash these days  for in flight purchases  and you have to pay by card.

If you ask anyone under 40 or so it's common not to carry any cash or even cards these days 

As far as I know Google pay/ wallet and Apple pay do not have a upper limit 

The limits are set by the retailer ( was £250 at Tesco when I checked last time) .. I've seen people pay many multiples of this at other shops as they have a higher limit..

I pay almost everything by phone and I have a  card  which can be topped up  and another low spend limit  credit card linked to it .. 

I top up my card linked to Google pay / wallet whenever I need it and the low spend limit card is there as a back up. 

I will never use the debit cards linked to my main bank account on Google pay / wallet or even online / cash machine.. With fast banking it takes only seconds to transfer funds between accounts anyway.

It's the way to go. I am a recent convert to Google pay and I love it. As you say, I link it to an account where I keep limited funds so that in the unlikely event I lose my phone and someone knows my pin I don't lose so much. 

It's great leaving the wallet at home. Takes some getting used to but I have and it's instant. Even in taxis and on the bus. 

Some people are total luddites.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's the way to go. I am a recent convert to Google pay and I love it. As you say, I link it to an account where I keep limited funds so that in the unlikely event I lose my phone and someone knows my pin I don't lose so much. 

It's great leaving the wallet at home. Takes some getting used to but I have and it's instant. Even in taxis and on the bus. 

Some people are total luddites.

Now ditch the house keys and get a smart lock, and buy a car you don’t need a key for.

It’s the future.  The other half’s car is still on a key and I have an annoying fob thing for work I have to carry around, but other than that the only thing in my pocket is the phone.

4 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Its the airlines prerogative to determine what manner of payment they will accept.

As it is for retailers who will take only cash. I don’t see why they are being berated for this.

Anyway that’s why I carry both cash and cards.

• Like 2