Firm closing

finlo

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well giving them money helps if they haven’t had anything to eat or drink for a day or two

They have had things to eat and drink. Very few are sleeping rough- most are in hostels, which can be decidedly unpleasant and will often chuck out during the day, but they’re not sleeping rough.

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

AAO Global / TwentyOne staff all looking for jobs on LinkedIn. 

Crypto Co that took the FSA to court for acting outside their powers.  Guess what, the FSA lawyered up, spent a shitload of money and then lost.  Proven to be incompetent and malicious.

I suspect that a contributing factor to their closure will be the above, which they won.  But you don't contest the FSA, win and then stay in business.  They'll specifically make it impossible for you. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/financial-watchdog-exceeded-its-powers-594739

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/2/2023 at 11:34 AM, CrazyDave said:

Just watch the old fella in the pub scrabbling for change in the same pocket he puts the snot rag he blows his nose on.

I will stick to using my watch and phone thanks.

I get it. I have banking and payment apps and I use them much of the time. Yes. Fantastic. I do think you can go too far though and become just as dogmatic being a technophile as the phobes who refuse point blank to engage with the technology at all.

My phone case has slots for a credit cards and a bank card, and it can also accommodate a couple of banknotes without snot, so I don't need to carry a separate wallet in my pocket to be fully tooled up with cash, card and app. I just use what seems appropriate for every eventuality.

Many a time I've seen folks messing around to open their phones, find the app then struggle to get it read for God knows what reasons, while I've walked past them to another terminal, card in hand, and done an immediate contactless transaction with my plastic. Sometimes the most advanced method isn't the quickest or most sensible.

• Like 3

On 9/14/2023 at 9:22 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Well giving them money helps if they haven’t had anything to eat or drink for a day or two.

We were working in Leeds again yesterday. I counted a good dozen or more beggars, most sitting on the ground head bowed into the obligatory paper cup. I wondered how they had mastered the art of looking up at you in the eye just at the moment you throw the quickest of glances their way.

Anyway I was approached by a beggar, sleeping bag wrapped around his shoulders. I kid you not he was 6'5", but anyway, as I was put in the situation, I did my spiel of asking why he couldn't get a job. I have to say the story was convincing enough for me to buy him a sandwich as he asked, and he pointed to the nearby Tesco Express. He followed me in and asked for a bottle of coke too, no problem I said, and he took a bag of sweets and gave that to me to buy. Again no problem - I would be helping a fellow human being and I thought of Manx Forums. Well, that was a quick fiver, but hey. I also gave him a £2 coin.

He was grateful, overjoyed in fact. And I made my way along to train station. Then I thought maybe he sold the sandwich pack and the coke for a couple of quid to a fellow beggar who was more in need of food than he was but not more in need for a £20 score of heroin or whatever?

So, while we are on the subject, sort of, has anyone here been in the Three Legs on Headrow in Leeds?  

A lovely pub. Please feel free to find and read any internet reviews. I recommend a visit.

IMG20230911155802.thumb.jpg.e3184d2c395b2ae1fbecdd65c46243ae.jpgThree_Legs_01.thumb.jpg.106fe9fc84820f1e6b259f83e261d234.jpg

Edited by Barlow

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

He was grateful, overjoyed in fact. And I made my way along to train station. Then I thought maybe he sold the sandwich pack and the coke for a couple of quid to a fellow beggar who was more in need of food than he was but not more in need for a £20 score of heroin or whatever?

Why did you think that, after your good deed?   Did he give you any reason to believe that?   Talk about managing to take the shine off your own Good Samaritan act - and it was all in your head?