Firm closing

finlo

It's going to leave even more gaps in the increasingly sparse "Parliament St shopping experience".

Shakti always seemed to be well patronised so that's a surprise, Splinters was a family competition job but never seemed to have Felton's popularity for some reason, Magpie I don't know. All to do with rents and energy bills I guess? 🙁

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Without starting another thread more closures have been announced Shakti man, Splinters, and Magpie the shit is really starting to hit the fan!

Never heard of any of them & never been in them so hardly major closures, plenty of jobs in hospitality & retail in Douglas & elsewhere 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

Never heard of any of them & never been in them so hardly major closures, plenty of jobs in hospitality & retail in Douglas & elsewhere 

We’ll I’ve never been to the Eithiad stadium so if Man City go bust it is hardly a major closure. 
There is always Old Trafford.

• Haha 3

With regard the closing shops, it could be as much to do with changing consumer spending, do you really really need that Dream Weaver?

Should add some praise for Feltons, wow, a veritable Aladins Cave of useful browsing, cellulose thinners to Foreman grilles!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, finlo said:

Without starting another thread more closures have been announced Shakti man, Splinters, and Magpie the shit is really starting to hit the fan!

To be honest this is the tip of the iceberg. A lot of small to mid sized traders will not be around by the summer. The toll the last two years had brought on them has been incredible. Government thinks the panic is all over and everything is rosy and that they’ve bought themselves out of trouble paying people off while their businesses were wrecked. But the main trouble has only just begun. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bandits said:

To be honest this is the tip of the iceberg. A lot of small to mid sized traders will not be around by the summer. The toll the last two years had brought on them has been incredible. Government thinks the panic is all over and everything is rosy and that they’ve bought themselves out of trouble paying people off while their businesses were wrecked. But the main trouble has only just begun. 

Exactly what I was eluding to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

When purse strings start to tighten people focus on necessities and cut down spending on the nice but otherwise unnecessary things, these recent closures are something of a perfect storm, these businesses might have survived Covid but consumer spending didn’t return to pre-Covid levels, coupled with increased costs for haulage, minimum wage, rates/utilities and I’ve no doubt rent will start to go up as interest rates have started to rise these closures are only the start, many more are desperately holding off the inevitable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

When purse strings start to tighten people focus on necessities and cut down spending on the nice but otherwise unnecessary things, these recent closures are something of a perfect storm, these businesses might have survived Covid but consumer spending didn’t return to pre-Covid levels, coupled with increased costs for haulage, minimum wage, rates/utilities and I’ve no doubt rent will start to go up as interest rates have started to rise these closures are only the start, many more are desperately holding off the inevitable.

Most businesses on the island have been sailing close to the wind for decades judgement day is now here.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

When purse strings start to tighten people focus on necessities and cut down spending on the nice but otherwise unnecessary things, these recent closures are something of a perfect storm

Some businesses don’t help themselves either. Had breakfast at Noa the other week. Nearly £20 for two bacon baps and two coffees. I’m not skint but I’m certainly not risking getting covid being crammed into somewhere like that to be ripped off. The service was completely terrible too as they clearly have no staff. All in all I will not be spending any money in there again for a good while. 

• Like 2

Online off-Island shopping is decimating local retail on the Island, everything from clothes through food, bog roll, pet food and car parts.

Everybody says just buy local to support local retailers but there's more to it than that. Online is evolution in pricing, convenience and efficiency and it's something that we're all coerced into by modern lifestyle,  like it or not. We're expected to be ever more efficient ourselves in employment and such and we then expect the same in what we go about in our own lives including shopping and choice.

Island online shopping got instilled and ingrained particularly during lockdowns and it's only increased since then.

Unfortunately evolution condemns some species to extinction and a lot of local retail is sadly heading that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Some businesses don’t help themselves either. Had breakfast at Noa the other week. Nearly £20 for two bacon baps and two coffees. I’m not skint but I’m certainly not risking getting covid being crammed into somewhere like that to be ripped off. The service was completely terrible too as they clearly have no staff. All in all I will not be spending any money in there again for a good while. 

This is one of the very things we’ve had to cut back on, even places that we regarded as cheap/reasonable seem to have put their prices up by quite a margin, I won’t mention the place as I’ve no interest in tarnishing their reputation but we went to a takeaway outlet on the sea front and it was just shy of £20 for lunch and it wasn’t even that nice, we just can’t justify spending that, so that will be the last for awhile.

• Like 2