Firm closing

finlo

43 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As John said (and as the above confirms) the Brewery has been offering tenancies and then getting rid of the tenants in cycles over the years.  It's clearly at the stage when H&B realise they are useless at running pubs and get in people who know what they are doing.  Then they'll see how much money the tenants are making, get greedy, and the whole thing will start again.

Still I'm sure they will be pleased they have "generated conversations".

You saved me the trouble. This is invariably what they do, as sure as night follows day. Maybe this time will be different..................

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Absolutely not.

Well it may attract the wrong sort of audience.

Unsophisticated people who you wouldn’t want to spoil your enjoyment of a couple of pints in a comfortable environment.

I was at the Safa festival at the nunnery at the weekend and it was heavily based around the rugby.

There were mainly business types and ex King Bills and other posh school types there.

I don’t know what to make of someone who makes a comment like yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Or an appreciation of the game rather than the jingoism???

Well as a game it pales in comparison with football.

Jingoism? Well from the little I’ve seen on TV the “supporters” from each rugby nation are at least as jingoistic,  if not more, than their footballing counterparts.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I was at the Safa festival at the nunnery at the weekend and it was heavily based around the rugby.

There were mainly business types and ex King Bills and other posh school types there.

I don’t know what to make of someone who makes a comment like yours.

Safa festival? 

What’s that?

3 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

The food in there has been superb for several months now, possibly longer but we only discovered it in the summer.

IMG_8021.jpeg

I'm sure it was very nice, but I have never, ever, seen a picture of food on any social media and thought "Oh, that looks nice".

I think pictures of peoples soon to be demolished plate of food is second to pictures of cats (licking their arse or whatever) on the internet.

39 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well as a game it pales in comparison with football.

Surely a matter of opinion. I can watch both, but I am fanatical about neither. A good match is enjoyable whether soccer or rugger. The supporters less so, but on the whole rugby fans are less feral and more tolerable, although I have experienced exceptions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

As opposed to a crowd of cultured Scouse and Mancs calmly watching a Liverpool v United game together you mean? Jeez.

I have been to many a football game where passions have run high. It adds to the atmosphere without having seen anything physically untoward. 

And have been to pubs pre and post match where both sets of supporters have enjoyed the banter between them.

Are you saying that fans of Manchester and Liverpool clubs can’t behave sportingly towards each other?  That’s just the sort of narrative that the worst sort of press want you to believe.

There is of course the odd nobhead supporter of each team, as there is in rugby.

But as a spectacle football beats rugby hands down.

As they say rugby is for people who aren’t good enough to play football.

( Regrettably I have never been good enough to play either. Or even cricket)

13 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I have been to many a football game where passions have run high. It adds to the atmosphere without having seen anything physically untoward. 

And have been to pubs pre and post match where both sets of supporters have enjoyed the banter between them.

Are you saying that fans of Manchester and Liverpool clubs can’t behave sportingly towards each other?  That’s just the sort of narrative that the worst sort of press want you to believe.

There is of course the odd nobhead supporter of each team, as there is in rugby.

But as a spectacle football beats rugby hands down.

As they say rugby is for people who aren’t good enough to play football.

( Regrettably I have never been good enough to play either. Or even cricket)

I've seen them create mayhem, but I accept it's a small minority. A small minority of tens of thousands is still quite a few though. I would dispute that it's only "the odd nobhead" that harbours sufficient bitterness to be out of control.

I don't think you can assert as a fact that football beats rugby hands down as a spectacle. Indeed, it's such a ludicrous statement that I am tempted to believe you are trolling. It is absolutely a matter of taste. The crowd sizes and the passion can be similar. Some of the sweeping passing moves through multiple phases in the current Rugby Union World Cup are at least as bracing as anything you might see on a football pitch. Horses for courses.

• Like 1