Firm closing

finlo

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

I've seen them create mayhem, but I accept it's a small minority. A small minority of tens of thousands is still quite a few though. I would dispute that it's only "the odd nobhead" that harbours sufficient bitterness to be out of control.

I don't think you can assert as a fact that football beats rugby hands down as a spectacle. Indeed, it's such a ludicrous statement that I am tempted to believe you are trolling. It is absolutely a matter of taste. The crowd sizes and the passion can be similar. Some of the sweeping passing moves through multiple phases in the current Rugby Union World Cup are at least as bracing as anything you might see on a football pitch. Horses for courses.

Yes anyone would just have watched the Wales v Australia or the Ireland v South Africa game to be totally won over by the skill and physicality of both games. Incredible really and with a brilliant atmosphere in both games. Games like those far outweigh most football games and that’s speaking as someone who loves there football. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swoopy2110 said:

Moore's Smokehouse in Peel closing down this weekend.

True unfortunately.  Here's their Facebook post:

It’s game over for The Grill Pit Ltd! Jen, and I tried to turn around a Dinosaur. 
What is, The Most Iconic Food Production Building on the Isle of Man.
Moore’s Smokehouse 1882.
So this Saturday and Sunday, this weekend we are launching our closing down sale.
Everything has a price. Aside from Kippers we have a lot more!! Commercial Kitchen, Equipment, our marinades on Mass. Baked beans cheaper than Tesco, Sausages, burgers, ice cream and more.

It’s yours. Its Moore’s 
We are raising cash to clear the final debts to ensure our fantastic local food producers and wholesale companies are made whole.
We are not far away. The key for Jen and I is to make our creditors whole.
We’ve given all we can give! It’s time to stare Bankruptcy down the Barrel and set straight The Grill Pit Ltd affairs.
We have made this decision quickly and under advise. Our assets will with your help make all our smaller local suppliers whole.
We are tapped out and can’t do anything else to save the most Iconic food / Kipper producing / amazing smokehouse the Isle of Man has to offer.  

Whilst we are licking wounds and will be for sometime, as a custodian of this building for this short time it was under or stewardship, we will remember why we tried for all the right reasons. 
Sunday 1st October will be our last day of trade.
All Manx National Heritage Tours booked with us over the next two weekends are cancelled.
Now for the Trolls! 

Say your worst. 
I may come back and put you straight but I know what my family have done to support my dream. I failed them & that’s on me!
My dream is over. 
Now I need to rebuild and put them right before I run out of time!
Thankyou to all our customers over the past six or seven years. To all of you that have inspired us to persevere and kept us motivated. 
Thank you!

It seems a pity as they put so much into the business and had so many ideas, both for new products and for preserving this historic building.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It’s game over for The Grill Pit Ltd! Jen, and I tried to turn around a Dinosaur. 
Moore’s Smokehouse 1882.
So this Saturday and Sunday, this weekend we are launching our closing down sale.
Everything has a price. Aside from Kippers we have a lot more!! Commercial Kitchen, Equipment, our marinades on Mass. Baked beans cheaper than Tesco, Sausages, burgers, ice cream and more.

It’s yours. Its Moore’s 
We are raising cash to clear the final debts to ensure our fantastic local food producers and wholesale companies are made whole.
We’ve given all we can give! It’s time to stare Bankruptcy down the Barrel and set straight The Grill Pit Ltd affairs.
We have made this decision quickly and under advise. Our assets will with your help make all our smaller local suppliers whole.
We are tapped out and can’t do anything else to save the most Iconic food / Kipper producing / amazing smokehouse the Isle of Man has to offer.  

Whilst we are licking wounds and will be for sometime, as a custodian of this building for this short time it was under or stewardship, we will remember why we tried for all the right reasons. 
All Manx National Heritage Tours booked with us over the next two weekends are cancelled.
Now for the Trolls! 

Say your worst. 
I may come back and put you straight but I know what my family have done to support my dream. I failed them & that’s on me!
My dream is over. 
Thankyou to all our customers over the past six or seven years. To all of you that have inspired us to persevere and kept us motivated. 
Thank you!

It seems a pity as they put so much into the business and had so many ideas, both for new products and for preserving this historic building.

That really is very, very bad :( .

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Moore’s Smokehouse 1882.

It’s yours. Its Moore’s 

Now for the Trolls! 

Say your worst. 
My dream is over. 
Thank you!

36 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

That really is very, very bad :( .

I like Darren. And he has been supported to the hilt by Jen & Chloe. But he does have a buccaneering approach to business and management. This is his record over 8 years.

Grill Pit Mk1, Glen Maye. Run without planning permission from his garden to the annoyance of his neighbours. Closed down by planning.

Grill Pit Mk2, Laurel Bank. Run without planning permission from the shed depot, contrary to terms of lease. Closed down by planning.

Grill Pit Mk3. The bus. Did it ever take off and run properly.

Shed business. Not sure what happened to that.

Grill Pit Mk4. Moore’s Smokehouse. Seems to have over expanded, too many irons in fire. Smokehouse. Deli shop, events, food. Don’t think it ever had a coherent identity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And without any reference to James Quinn, and absolutely none to Darren Nicholson, and offered as opinion only, and not fact.

senior management consuming drink/drugs at the helm and not being in control.

several ex wives and girl friends to be paid out/maintained

living the high life

several kids at expensive public schools

spending more than you earn and saddling the business with borrowings/debt

running out of rope - then not being able to pay NI and ITIP and VAT as they fall due and, eventually, not being able to borrow more.

Isn't unknown as a a source of liquidity problems

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

I like Darren. And he has been supported to the hilt by Jen & Chloe. But he does have a buccaneering approach to business and management. This is his record over 8 years.

Grill Pit Mk1, Glen Maye. Run without planning permission from his garden to the annoyance of his neighbours. Closed down by planning.

Grill Pit Mk2, Laurel Bank. Run without planning permission from the shed depot, contrary to terms of lease. Closed down by planning.

Grill Pit Mk3. The bus. Did it ever take off and run properly.

Shed business. Not sure what happened to that.

Grill Pit Mk4. Moore’s Smokehouse. Seems to have over expanded, too many irons in fire. Smokehouse. Deli shop, events, food. Don’t think it ever had a coherent identity.

Moore’s Smokehouse 1882 is hardly a dinosaur. What you describe above, I've seen in my line many times.

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I have been to many a football game where passions have run high. It adds to the atmosphere without having seen anything physically untoward. 

And have been to pubs pre and post match where both sets of supporters have enjoyed the banter between them.

Are you saying that fans of Manchester and Liverpool clubs can’t behave sportingly towards each other?  That’s just the sort of narrative that the worst sort of press want you to believe.

There is of course the odd nobhead supporter of each team, as there is in rugby.

But as a spectacle football beats rugby hands down.

As they say rugby is for people who aren’t good enough to play football.

( Regrettably I have never been good enough to play either. Or even cricket)

This has to be a wind up?

9 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes anyone would just have watched the Wales v Australia or the Ireland v South Africa game to be totally won over by the skill and physicality of both games. Incredible really and with a brilliant atmosphere in both games. Games like those far outweigh most football games and that’s speaking as someone who loves there football. 

Indeed.  Both bloody good games.  I watched the SA Ireland game at the Saffa Festival (whilst quietly rooting for Ireland).  There was definitely an atmosphere there. 

• Like 2