Firm closing

finlo

I and a couple of others recently posted on the Rates thread re. sewage and water charges components of Rates.....going on those figures an "average" of say, £600 for those charges multiplied by 35k properties equates to £21M being sucked out of what would have been disposable income spent in the local economy annually; sucked into the black hole of Govt finances and its debts. Annually.

Bear in mind that's just a theoretical figure - It may well be more, a lot more. Plus everything else we pay to Govt.

And we wonder why we're skint?

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Online off-Island shopping is decimating local retail on the Island, everything from clothes through food, bog roll, pet food and car parts.

Everybody says just buy local to support local retailers but there's more to it than that. Online is evolution in pricing, convenience and efficiency and it's something that we're all coerced into by modern lifestyle,  like it or not. We're expected to be ever more efficient ourselves in employment and such and we then expect the same in what we go about in our own lives including shopping and choice.

Island online shopping got instilled and ingrained particularly during lockdowns and it's only increased since then.

Unfortunately evolution condemns some species to extinction and a lot of local retail is sadly heading that way.

I think we’ll see a difference in online shopping too, I’m finding more retailers won’t post to the IOM quoting carriage costs as the reason and after getting a few quotes recently I can see why, it was a minimum of an additional £1.50 charge to post here.

14 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I think we’ll see a difference in online shopping too, I’m finding more retailers won’t post to the IOM quoting carriage co

45 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

This is one of the very things we’ve had to cut back on, even places that we regarded as cheap/reasonable seem to have put their prices up by quite a margin, I won’t mention the place as I’ve no interest in tarnishing their reputation but we went to a takeaway outlet on the sea front and it was just shy of £20 for lunch and it wasn’t even that nice, we just can’t justify spending that, so that will be the last for awhile.

sts as the reason and after getting a few quotes recently I can see why, it was a minimum of an additional £1.50 charge to post here.

Always having supported local retailers l recently had to switch to buy online, the item l have regularly purchased locally for last 4 months has gone up 3 times to £16.00 for one pkt we use up to three pkts a week now. My daughter visited a month ago and she started a bulk order for me, same thing costing just over £8 a pack including postage. Its easy to do and they always arrive within 3 to 5days.  If l could have bought a bulk order locally at a more reasonable price I most certainly would have done.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I and a couple of others recently posted on the Rates thread re. sewage and water charges components of Rates.....going on those figures an "average" of say, £600 for those charges multiplied by 35k properties equates to £21M being sucked out of what would have been disposable income spent in the local economy annually; sucked into the black hole of Govt finances and its debts. Annually.

Bear in mind that's just a theoretical figure - It may well be more, a lot more. Plus everything else we pay to Govt.

And we wonder why we're skint?

I know of a property ,Onchan, Rates=£2957.86 ( Gov £1,739.94 , LA £1,217.92) occupied by 2 individuals . Why not be honest and call it a "Property Tax" .

just saying :flowers:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The rates should be based on single occupancy and then a charge for each additional adult living at the property

That's effectively a poll tax. The UK system of banding seems to work OK.

14 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Online off-Island shopping is decimating local retail on the Island, everything from clothes through food, bog roll, pet food and car parts.

Everybody says just buy local to support local retailers but there's more to it than that. Online is evolution in pricing, convenience and efficiency and it's something that we're all coerced into by modern lifestyle,  like it or not. We're expected to be ever more efficient ourselves in employment and such and we then expect the same in what we go about in our own lives including shopping and choice.

Island online shopping got instilled and ingrained particularly during lockdowns and it's only increased since then.

Unfortunately evolution condemns some species to extinction and a lot of local retail is sadly heading that way.

Just this week, friends i know have ordered huge compost bags from Amazon and another has just had 2 rolls of mineral roofing felt delivered...what next, do Amazon do manure too.?

Edited by Ďouglas Peel
Stupidity.

22 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The rates should be based on single occupancy and then a charge for each additional adult living at the property

The chances of IoMG implementing anything that might reduce revenue, regardless of fairness or equality, are zero. The only thing that matters is keeping its yawning, thankless maw fed.

I wonder if there's actually any way of calculating what damage the Govt could be inflicting on the retail economy itself via its past and present policies?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

Just this week, friends i know have ordered huge compost bags from Amazon and another has just had 2 rolls of mineral roofing felt delivered...what next, do Amazon do manure too.?

Powergrow Poultry Manure Organic Vegetable, Flower & Plant Feed, Grey, G60235UK : AmazonSmile: Garden & Outdoors

• Thanks 1

I cannot carry anything heavy anymore, okay people in shops at giving a hand to load up but when I get home it is a challenge so I use Pets at Home delivery which is free over a certain amount and comes within three or four days they even carry it into the house for me.   As we get older it is easier to get items delivered.   I remember when I was a child everything used to get delivered the farmer came around with veg and eggs, the butcher, grocer, milkman and baker delivered and the paperboy and a fellow pushing a cart flogging fish.   My mother used to leave the money in the porch for the bread man never went missing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I cannot carry anything heavy anymore, okay people in shops at giving a hand to load up but when I get home it is a challenge so I use Pets at Home delivery which is free over a certain amount and comes within three or four days they even carry it into the house for me.   As we get older it is easier to get items delivered.   I remember when I was a child everything used to get delivered the farmer came around with veg and eggs, the butcher, grocer, milkman and baker delivered and the paperboy and a fellow pushing a cart flogging fish.   My mother used to leave the money in the porch for the bread man never went missing.

The creamery deliver milk,eggs, cheese, butter, spuds, cream & Noas bread all for free 

• Like 2