Firm closing

finlo

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well it looks laughable to me.

Are there any other rugby teams indulged in this way?

( Would any others want to make fools of themselves like this?)

I'm sure you'd look laughable to me too.

Most of the Polynesian Islands (and teams) have their own version of the Haka.

31 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Voice of............. does riverdance have anything to do with Irish tradition???

Yes

Riverdance reflects the evolution of Irish culture through fusions, adaptions and new frameworks, re-emerging into a new meaning and energy. In Act 1 of Riverdance we see early Irish settlers who knew fear, joy and fire and worked stone and water to make a home. The stories of these people are about elemental forces.

Riverdance is based on the story of the Irish people. The beginning of the show deals with the first settlers coming to Ireland and realizing the power of the land. This part of the show incorporates symbolic elements representing the sun, the moon, thunder, lightning and water. The stories and themes are heavily influenced by Celtic mythology. 

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Second para
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes

Riverdance reflects the evolution of Irish culture through fusions, adaptions and new frameworks, re-emerging into a new meaning and energy. In Act 1 of Riverdance we see early Irish settlers who knew fear, joy and fire and worked stone and water to make a home. The stories of these people are about elemental forces.

Riverdance is based on the story of the Irish people. The beginning of the show deals with the first settlers coming to Ireland and realizing the power of the land. This part of the show incorporates symbolic elements representing the sun, the moon, thunder, lightning and water. The stories and themes are heavily influenced by Celtic mythology. 

Tradition?  I am older than riverdance

Edited by CrazyDave

....and there is the problem, where is it/ was it????

However, there are premises there if someone is brave enough to take it on?

Someones bad fortune could be an opening for a new crew to try their luck with a new opening???? Nothing too outlandish like turkish!!!!.  Shame reallly that we dont accept foreign concepts like Turk> It's different?

Just now, Kopek said:

Someones bad fortune could be an opening for a new crew to try their luck with a new opening???? Nothing too outlandish like turkish!!!!.  Shame reallly that we dont accept foreign concepts like Turk> It's different?

Like kebab shops are half empty? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

For some reason my You Tube algorithm decided I’d be interested in the pre match build up to the recent New Zealand rugby game against Ireland

I accepted its invitation and got to watch the New Zealand performing the“ Huka” thing.

I have heard of this but never seen it.

It was quite disturbing, like watching a dozen men having a collective seizure, sticking their tongues out and grunting.

I half expected the Irish team to respond with an excerpt from “Riverdance” but alas it was not to be.

And the England team should do some morris dancing

8 minutes ago, Kopek said:

There was nothing wrong with the concept  or their marketing.  We went once.  The food was even ok

It just wasn’t good enough to justify the prices they were asking

Edited by CrazyDave

3 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

You are wrong the pendulum has not swung like that I arrived in 1980 as Head Brewer for Okell's and most pubs were Tenants with few Managers, around 1985 the swing was to Managers and that continued only now has the swing reversed. I did tell them for years that managed pubs were not the best for the community but they did not listen

You’ll remember how successful the Liverpool Arms was then. Brewery decided that putting a gay couple in would hasten the demise of the pub. Boy did that bite them on their collective arses…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

It's a war dance, challenging to combat and also a sign of respect. Frankly I think it's pretty cool and have seen it in the flesh a few times. It's quite effectively intimidating. 

It's not a war dance. That's a common misconception. It's a welcome to distinguished guests. There is an element of warning in it and it certainly feels aggressive. In mauri culture the haka is preceeded by females singing to the guests.

It's use in sport is not quite in line with its tradition.