Firm closing

finlo

8 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

There was nothing wrong with the concept  or their marketing.  We went once.  The food was even ok

It just wasn’t good enough to justify the prices they were asking

Was very good when they started but went downhill quickly.. Stopped going after they changed the Turkish bread ( used to be freshly made ) to something  frozen and heated up..

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It's not a war dance. That's a common misconception. It's a welcome to distinguished guests. There is an element of warning in it and it certainly feels aggressive. In mauri culture the haka is preceeded by females singing to the guests.

It's use in sport is not quite in line with its tradition.

Or its a war dance....from the official all blacks website:

The haka was used on the battlefield to prepare warriors mentally and physically for battle, but it was also performed when groups came together in peace. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The haka was used on the battlefield to prepare warriors mentally and physically for battle, but it was also performed when groups came together in peace. 

It's complex. The traditional haka started as a ceremonial greeting with a warning in it. That's why there is an aggressive aspect. 

A war haka is different and is used to intimidate the enemy and fire up the troops. 

41 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's complex. The traditional haka started as a ceremonial greeting with a warning in it. That's why there is an aggressive aspect. 

A war haka is different and is used to intimidate the enemy and fire up the troops. 

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It's not a war dance. That's a common misconception. It's a welcome to distinguished guests. There is an element of warning in it and it certainly feels aggressive. In mauri culture the haka is preceeded by females singing to the guests.

It's use in sport is not quite in line with its tradition.

It's a bit of all of the above really.  Greeting, warning, respect, war. 

10 hours ago, Barlow said:

And the England team should do some morris dancing

It's more ingrained in tradition than Morris Dancing, which no one really does.  I lived on a Maori Farm for a bit and got involved in some of their community stuff.  When I was there, all the students of a local school (whites and Mauri) did one for a teacher who had died.  I also got one at a leaving party when I left, after I'd had to slaughter a pig and cook it underground with hot rocks. 

Actually, I'll admit it, I was posting somewhat tongue in cheek suggesting the England rugby team do a display of morris dancing in reply to the New Zealand haka.

It would be rather a laugh though, and I guarantee it would unsettle the opposing team.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Actually, I'll admit it, I was posting somewhat tongue in cheek suggesting the England rugby team do a display of morris dancing in reply to the New Zealand haka.

It would be rather a laugh though, and I guarantee it would unsettle the opposing team.

No you just stole and adapted my previous suggestion of maypole dancing!😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No you just stole and adapted my previous suggestion of maypole dancing!😀

It's a good one too. When the Haka is going on, the England boys could go down to those big H post thingies and do some maypole dancing round them.

• Like 1