Firm closing

finlo

6 minutes ago, Twitch said:

It's tough for them, but none of the above should happen. Does the taxpayer then prop up every failing business? Perhaps the taxpayer should have visited the shop and cafe more often in Moore's case.

I went earlier this year. First time visitor and had been really looking forward to it. Probably the worst experience I've had in a local cafe in recent years. They literally failed on all aspects, and its wasn't that cheap.

A lot of establishments are like that now, and are closing. Some hospitality businesses are excellent and value for money, whilst some are rip off IOM. 

There is a lot of noise amongst the Facebook types on this topic, and whatever the case, it seems some businesses, their owners or managers can do no wrong and held up as shining beacons. Incidentally I do appreciate and empathise as to how tough life is and the economic climate in which to operate is. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 2112 said:

A lot of establishments are like that now, and are closing. Some hospitality businesses are excellent and value for money, whilst some are rip off IOM. 

There is a lot of noise amongst the Facebook types on this topic, and whatever the case, it seems some businesses, their owners or managers can do no wrong and held up as shining beacons. Incidentally I do appreciate and empathise as to how tough life is and the economic climate in which to operate is. 

Sounds like they weren’t very business savvy, Deveraus has confirmed they continue to smoke kippers, bacon etc & have many customers for all their products here & in UK.

Well run business will continue to be successful & there’s plenty of job’s going for those whose unsuccessful business shuts

• Like 5

From what I’ve seen they were doomed to fail. The fact they only seemed to open when they felt like it - even during TT - wasn’t a good sign. Also, the fact they had to be told they couldn’t trade whilst insolvent and then told everyone as if it was a shock, sums it up.

I suspect like so many failing businesses they had ideas but insufficient business acumen to keep them going. They’ll no doubt be back with some other balf-baked venture before long. I just hope their creditors see their money.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

Lots of Facebook complaining that Government should get involved. Some commenting that financial aid should be provided

Always the way. And then the same people will be complaining two days later that there are too many civil servants and the government keeps wasting money on private businesses.

When Tesco stormed the Island it was packed from day 1. Oddly enough Shoprite didn't seem any less busy.

Anyway, yeah, I heard that rumour too, 25 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1