Firm closing

finlo

I don’t have anything against Shoprite but I honestly struggle to find reasons to shop there these days even if it’s the closest big supermarket to where I live. Tesco has Aldi price match and gives you points that convert to money. Maybe SR offers better value in other ways but their marketing sure isn’t getting that point across. What is “proudly locally owned” supposed to mean? That I make a local millionaire richer rather than UK shareholders? Both places employ local staff and from what I hear, Tesco seems to be the nicer place to work. 

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

I struggle to see it happening.

Tesco alone cannot service the Island. There needs to be facilitation for more competition, letting another retailer come in if it does happen.

Tesco could replace Shoprite stores with Tesco Express (or whatever it's called).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I hate Tesco and and shop between Shoprite, Manx Coop and M&S.     You cannot get near the goods in Tesco for staff that are trying to fill the shelves and you have to feel sorry for them it must be frustrating.   Also the car park is always busy with a walk down to the end but usually getting wet or blown.   I know this is a sign of success for them because they are obviously doing great business but it just winds me up.

It's no secret that Shoprite had Morrisons sniffing around. Also watrose and sainsbury. None were interested in the end. Only a population of 85,000 odd huge logistics costs etc. Its simply not a goer for the big boys. Because its a private company there is no way we can know if it turns a decent profit.

Come to think of it the big Shoprite here does seem pretty quiet when I did stop by there a few times. Never ever seen the car park full. Also seems to have little money invested in the place. I don’t know any other supermarket that still requires you to weigh your own fruit and vegetables. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, random said:

Shoprite next..........

That’s a laugh. IOMG will not let them go to the wall ………… CM Cannan would trot out his national importance speech. I was in Shoprite during the week - not many staff working, mind you not many customers either.