Firm closing

finlo

Just now, Amadeus said:

Come to think of it the big Shoprite here does seem pretty quiet when I did stop by there a few times. Never ever seen the car park full. Also seems to have little money invested in the place. I don’t know any other supermarket that still requires you to weigh your own fruit and vegetables. 

You weigh your own fruit and vegetables in Asda, Morrisons and many other supermarkets across. Many of the self service tills have built in electronic scales. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NoTail said:

It's no secret that Shoprite had Morrisons sniffing around. Also watrose and sainsbury. None were interested in the end. Only a population of 85,000 odd huge logistics costs etc. It’s simply not a goer for the big boys. Because it’s a private company there is no way we can know if it turns a decent profit.

I for one do not care for Shopshite. You can argue that if their supermarkets aren’t viable, then the land could be used for development. Victoria Road site could take a few houses.

Maybe Shopshite would get a taste of their own medicine, with lots of objections from concerned residents and other interested parties. 

Edited by 2112
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Come to think of it the big Shoprite here does seem pretty quiet when I did stop by there a few times. Never ever seen the car park full. Also seems to have little money invested in the place. I don’t know any other supermarket that still requires you to weigh your own fruit and vegetables. 

What?  How else do people buy loose fruit and veg?

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I for one do not care for Shopshite. You can argue that if their supermarkets aren’t viable, then the land could be used for development. Victoria Road site could take a few houses.

Maybe Shopshite would get a taste of their own medicine, with lots of objections from concerned residents and other interested parties. 

Well they’re putting in for planning for a new store on old Whitestone garage site so can’t be doing that badly!

45 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I hate Tesco and and shop between Shoprite, Manx Coop and M&S

Same here - but rarely M&S. Since they've opened, I've been in Tesco once and that was to get an application form for my daughter who wanted a weekend/evening job

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well they’re putting in for planning for a new store on old Whitestone garage site so can’t be doing that badly!

You mean the land and building they already owned, for 50+ years, with ready made car parking and the shell of a building already suited?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, random said:

Shoprite next..........

4 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Eh?

4 hours ago, forestboy said:

Really ???

4 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

No

Well, the Nicholson family would be the connecting factor.

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Co-op > Tesco

Yes. It was Co-op that got the planning for Lake Road and sold on to Tesco.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

I don’t know any other supermarket that still requires you to weigh your own fruit and vegetables.

I don’t come across any supermarkets in the countries I travel through and shop in that do weigh at checkout. It’s all pick, bag, select on screen, weigh, print bar code, put in trolley. 

Im back in Spain. Went to Consum/Esclat for my shop this morning. That is how it’s done. Would be same in Carrefour or Caprabo ( or Lidl or Aldi ). August in Bulgaria at Fantastiko, Billa, Kauflandand lidl.

Last trips to UK it was ubiquitous in Sainsbury, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and Booths.

Perhaps you’re thinking of Manilla? Or perhaps Mrs Amadeus does the shopping?