Firm closing

finlo

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Come to think of it the big Shoprite here does seem pretty quiet when I did stop by there a few times. Never ever seen the car park full. Also seems to have little money invested in the place. I don’t know any other supermarket that still requires you to weigh your own fruit and vegetables. 

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I mean that all other supermarkets I know weigh it at the checkout. 

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

I don’t come across any supermarkets in the countries I travel through and shop in that do weigh at checkout. It’s all pick, bag, select on screen, weigh, print bar code, put in trolley. 

Im back in Spain. Went to Consum/Esclat for my shop this morning. That is how it’s done. Would be same in Carrefour or Caprabo ( or Lidl or Aldi ). August in Bulgaria at Fantastiko, Billa, Kauflandand lidl.

Last trips to UK it was ubiquitous in Sainsbury, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and Booths.

Perhaps you’re thinking of Manilla? Or perhaps Mrs Amadeus does the shopping?

Co-op weigh it at the checkout. That's it. Everywhere else you weigh your own.

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I don’t have anything against Shoprite but I honestly struggle to find reasons to shop there these days even if it’s the closest big supermarket to where I live. Tesco has Aldi price match and gives you points that convert to money. Maybe SR offers better value in other ways but their marketing sure isn’t getting that point across. What is “proudly locally owned” supposed to mean? That I make a local millionaire richer rather than UK shareholders? Both places employ local staff and from what I hear, Tesco seems to be the nicer place to work. 

I only go to shoprite for the meat section  and that too if my local butcher is closed for the day . 

They do some frozen food which the other stores don't have.

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

Co-op weigh it at the checkout. That's it. Everywhere else you weigh your own.

M&S weigh at checkout .  And the scales ar tesco where you weigh produce are often broken and checkout staff can weigh it for you 

For scan as you shop you still have to weigh yourself for obvious reasons..

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

What has what shoprite plan to do with that site got to do with politicians,

I honestly can’t see Shoprite closing. I could see them selling up though. They have some prime retail sites and a good brand. Prime acquisition territory for an Aldi or another retail group to buy and take Tescos market share with. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened already. 

16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I don't disagree with the sentiment but who is going to pay for the 'goodwill' for the shoprite sites???

Arguably there’s goodwill. A 50 year old local brand. But as well it has some excellent sites (including the Whitestone site they’re going for planning on). Nobody gets goodwill value on anything these days anyway. It’s a dying concept. Strategically it’s a very good pre packed prime site opportunity with a distribution chain and contracts with the SPC etc already in place for a major UK supermarket chain to take Tescos on with.

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

20 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I honestly can’t see Shoprite closing. I could see them selling up though. They have some prime retail sites and a good brand. Prime acquisition territory for an Aldi or another retail group to buy and take Tescos market share with. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened already. 

In such a scenario the brand is worth nothing at all. You're replacing it with a much bigger brand from elsewhere.

• Like 2