Firm closing

finlo

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

Could be but I think the entities would rather choose their own sites these days???

Planning is the big issue in the IOM. Shoprite already have pre existing prime sites that zero planning is required on and are going for planning at Whitestone. 

Just now, woolley said:

In such a scenario the brand is worth nothing at all.

I’ve already said that above. Goodwill is a dead concept in most businesses. 

Just now, Kopek said:

except when it suits you to say that there isn't????

I’m assuming that you’re probably drunk given the time of night. I said arguably there is goodwill but that it isn’t really worth anything these days anyway regardless of whether it exists or not. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Shoprite already have pre existing prime sites that zero planning is required on a

That's not quite consistent with what you say above???

....but hey, this is MF you can change your mind as often as you want to? Boo boo? hey I'll post something completely different!!!  having had time to consider it further!!!!

Drunk? You try posting with a Cat on your keyboard!!! She means well!

Stupid argument???

Come back with something from within your  own head rather than what you have previously read here on MF~???~

Edited by Kopek
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

It’s totally consistent. Re read the above. You simply don’t seem to understand what goodwill is. It exists but in many cases it has little or no fiscal value. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Ooooh, as if none of us understand that concept excerpt you???

I’ve explained clearly that goodwill is largely a dying concept. For example, if I bought a taxi business off a real bell end who was in the paper every few years for not taxing his cars and getting fined and threatened with court actions but they also kept meticulous contract information and had an active client data base and papered repeat contracts that demonstrate that regular customers keep coming back and re-booking (and maybe they had most those on direct debit or payment app etc) - that’s goodwill that might be worth paying a small premium for. Alternatively if the said law breaking bell end tried to claim that “I’ve been trading as the bell end taxi company since 1982 and that’s what generates all this income” without having any form of substance underlying those claims then that’s worthless goodwill. I would imagine Shoprite’s existing sites and distribution chain contracts would trump any specific goodwill value that might be said to exist in the name “Shoprite” which is why I said “arguably” there is goodwill but people don’t tend to get paid out on goodwill these days unless it’s quantified in terms of databases, tangible contracts, supply chain agreements and evidenced payment plans or services etc.

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I don't disagree with the sentiment but who is going to pay for the 'goodwill' for the shoprite sites???

Don't think land carries 'goodwill',  that normally attaches to an ongoing business.  So, unless Aldi and Lidl decide to buy Shoprite the company, (and why would they when their goodwill far exceeds that of Shoprite?),  there will be no goodwill to take into account.  There may be a premium included in the price because of the site, but that is to do with the value of the asset not the goodwill generated by the Shoprite brand.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kopek said:

....but hey, this is MF you can change your mind as often as you want to? Boo boo? hey I'll post something completely different!!!  having had time to consider it further!!!!

Drunk? You try posting with a Cat on your keyboard!!! She means well!

Stupid argument???

Come back with something from within your  own head rather than what you have previously read here on MF~???~

My dog does that too, He puts his head on my lap wherever l use my keyboard. He flops down usually right in everyone's path, he won't move; l don't mind;  l just step over him :D he's really funny.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Don't think land carries 'goodwill', 

Which is why I refereed to the 'sites' as  having little 'goodwill' value!!

Aldi or other would prefer to value their own sites on what they want to be ideal rather than the left overs of the Shoprite estate???

They could of course, be selective in their bid for Shoprite?

30 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

or example, if I bought a taxi business off a real bell end who was in the paper every few years for not taxing his cars and getting fined and threatened with court actions but they also kept meticulous contract information and had an active client data

Fer cristsakkkke , Im trying my best to get the surplus cars off the road!!! Do you realise how difficult that is!!!  All these m=nimbies moaning about parking spaces, probably you no doubt, but they may be useful one day???

I thought that you were a serious poster? Perhaps not!!!

6 hours ago, Kopek said:

I don't disagree with the sentiment but who is going to pay for the 'goodwill' for the shoprite sites???

It's going to be Asda. If I had to guess any retailer making this play, it will be them.

But we are basically all chatting nonsense off the back of a baseless rumour.