Firm closing

finlo

39 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I heard a rumour from a credible source that the Harbour Lights group is pulling all their catering venues in the very near future.

It does rather seem as though some are seeing the writing on the wall and are getting out now while they are still able to do so. 

Staffing probably an issue. Down here many posh places are really struggling, wages going up dramatically'

Edited by GD4ELI

54 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I heard a rumour from a credible source that the Harbour Lights group is pulling all their catering venues in the very near future.

It does rather seem as though some are seeing the writing on the wall and are getting out now while they are still able to do so. 

The Fishery in PSM closed last week. Think they were Harbour lights. 

55 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Well, it had to happen. Once the foreigners had gone home there was no way the millennials were going to get out of bed to wash dishes for £8 an hour and frankly, why should they. There’s a local place here (also harbour lights owned) who have had to up their dishwasher rate to £12 just to find someone who will take the job. 

Market forces at work. I’m sure whoever thought Brexit was a good idea would have worked out that this scenario would have arrived.

Hospitality is seriously suffering.

Social care will be next.

Still, I’m sure it’s all in hand. /Sarcasm mode. 

• Social care already an issue in Cornwall
  • Much accommodation that seasonal workers used is now BNB so there's nowhere for them to stay.

On 4/16/2022 at 1:06 PM, hissingsid said:

I cannot carry anything heavy anymore, okay people in shops at giving a hand to load up but when I get home it is a challenge so I use Pets at Home delivery which is free over a certain amount and comes within three or four days they even carry it into the house for me.   As we get older it is easier to get items delivered.   I remember when I was a child everything used to get delivered the farmer came around with veg and eggs, the butcher, grocer, milkman and baker delivered and the paperboy and a fellow pushing a cart flogging fish.   My mother used to leave the money in the porch for the bread man never went missing.

Even better if you want to support local, local business A2B pet food deliver for free https://a2bpetfood.im/

Or also, local franchise of Oscar Pet Food deliver for free as well https://www.facebook.com/OSCARPetFoodsIsleofMan

24 minutes ago, Little Jeanie said:

Even better if you want to support local, local business A2B pet food deliver for free https://a2bpetfood.im/

Or also, local franchise of Oscar Pet Food deliver for free as well https://www.facebook.com/OSCARPetFoodsIsleofMan

That's a challenging looking website! Early 2000s style? 

The prices look competitive though, I'll check it the dog section and place an order 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Staffing is a major issue (along with huge increases in gas/oil/electricity/vat/wages) yet the government sit there with their fingers in their ears hoping it'll blow over. We are struggling but have no intention of throwing in the towel. Hopefully we can get through this. It was bad enough with two years worth of covid related lockdowns then along comes the perfect storm. The government are in a position where they should be assisting more instead of throwing money off island

5 hours ago, finlo said:

Tania Delores shoes and accessories is also throwing in the towel.

Luke Parker from Ramsey Commissioners on the radio in the past couple of days saying that the Commissioners can't do anything to support businesses in the Town as they don't have the wherewithal.

Could they not look at Business Rates and see if there's any wriggle room, Parliament St is going to be empty at this rate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Luke Parker from Ramsey Commissioners on the radio in the past couple of days saying that the Commissioners can't do anything to support businesses in the Town as they don't have the wherewithal.

Could they not look at Business Rates and see if there's any wriggle room, Parliament St is going to be empty at this rate?

They may have to increase the number of town hall staff in order to do that, and maybe another deputy clerk🤔

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Did it? Yes,  think that was one of their failed ventures. The only one that has any serious return seems to be the one in Peel but apparently that one is going too. 

Which restaurants do they operate?

The reopened sunset lakes in peel seems to be doing well with good well priced food.

Edited by Banker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightening McQueen said:

They may have to increase the number of town hall staff in order to do that, and maybe another deputy clerk🤔

Indeed - The "Town Centre Manager's" not going to have much left to manage if this continues...

• Like 2

A complete years rate freeze would not be much help? A little but not a lot?

Rates are a fairly small expense and if there were some concessions for businesses there would be an outcry from householders who can claim equal hardship!