Firm closing

finlo

6 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I honestly can’t see Shoprite closing. I could see them selling up though. They have some prime retail sites and a good brand. Prime acquisition territory for an Aldi or another retail group to buy and take Tescos market share with. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened already. 

Aldi or lidl have no intention of coming to Iom so why the media keep mentioning them is a mystery 

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

Don't think land carries 'goodwill',  that normally attaches to an ongoing business.  So, unless Aldi and Lidl decide to buy Shoprite the company, (and why would they when their goodwill far exceeds that of Shoprite?),  there will be no goodwill to take into account.  There may be a premium included in the price because of the site, but that is to do with the value of the asset not the goodwill generated by the Shoprite brand.  

I don't think aldi or lidl have much record of takeovers. They seem to go for new sites with new buildings that meet their standard layout. 

7 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I honestly can’t see Shoprite closing. I could see them selling up though. They have some prime retail sites and a good brand. Prime acquisition territory for an Aldi or another retail group to buy and take Tescos market share with. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened already. 

Well the way IOM Enterprises/Shoprite value themselves they would probably be seeking a merger with one of the big supermarkets rather than a buyout...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You’re doing it again Rox.

Afraid we’re all not up with the kids . FTW ? . Translation please

7 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well there are obvious acronyms like WTF, or IIRC, but you can’t just make them up and expect everyone to decipher them.

FTW has been in the Urban dictionary and the Merriam Webster dictionary for twenty years or more. It's as equally well known as WTF or whatever. It's internet speak innit, and we're on the internet. If you don't know the meaning then just open a browser window and see what it means, just the same as you would do for anyone other word that you don't know the meaning of. It's not hard.

And it's down with the kids, not up.

Sheesh.

FML

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

FTW has been in the Urban dictionary and the Merriam Webster dictionary for twenty years or more. It's as equally well known as WTF or whatever. It's internet speak innit, and we're on the internet. If you don't know the meaning then just open a browser window and see what it means, just the same as you would do for anyone other word that you don't know the meaning of. It's not hard.

And it's down with the kids, not up.

Sheesh.

FML

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=UK

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FTW

This Urban dictionary ?. Sheesh indeed.🙂

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Second link

21 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

What are you trying to say?

Acronyms have been going steadily downhill since MFSB recorded TSOP…

eta: also, I found the two definitions (which I posted above) on the internet, ie, there are normally multiple options to choose from.   As always, context is everything! 😁

Edited by Jarndyce
eta

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

Don't think land carries 'goodwill',  that normally attaches to an ongoing business.  So, unless Aldi and Lidl decide to buy Shoprite the company, (and why would they when their goodwill far exceeds that of Shoprite?),  there will be no goodwill to take into account.  There may be a premium included in the price because of the site, but that is to do with the value of the asset not the goodwill generated by the Shoprite brand.  

They’d buy it, and pay for goodwill, at the right level, for things like instant market entry, location, shutting down competition, market share, customer base.

And if Morrisons bought Shoprite and rebranded ( like they did with Safeway ) it’s still an ongoing business. 

Goodwill can be profit related, but in these type of situations it’s also about the intangibles as well as the real estate. But I agree it’s not the brand, which is, after all another intangible.

• Thanks 1